Portrait Gender Separator (for EEs) (v1.7)

Download: https://github.com/D2-mods/Portrait-Gender-Separator-for-IE-games/releases
Installs on: BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, EET (tested on v2.5/v2.6)

--

Adds your portraits to the male or female portrait lists, appearing after the official portraits. Will scan portraits from inside the mod folder, as well as from the regular Portaits folders for each game.

Usage is really simple. Just put your portraits either in the regular Portraits folder or in one of the subfolders in the mod folder. Then run the installer. Files are copied to the override and filenames are grabbed for the M_*.lua file. If using the Infinity UI++ mod, instead of a .lua file, this mod will patch UI.MENU directly (will not overwrite any previous changes).

See bottom for compatibility info. This mod needs to be installed after Infinity UI++, if using.

--

Mod folder

• All portraits in the (f) folder are added to the female list.
  • All portraits in the (m) folder are added to the male list.
  • If you want a portrait to appear in both lists, you can put it in both the (m) and (f) folders.
  • These folders can also be used to archive your portraits for quick reinstall.

Portraits folder

• Filenames starting in F will be added to the female list (does not need to be capitalized).
  • Filenames starting in M will be added to the male list.
  • Files are copied to the override, where they are only selectable if added by a .lua file.

--

NOTE: 
After install, any portraits starting in M or F should be moved/deleted from the Portraits folder.
The portraits in this folder and from the .lua file are part of separate lists.
Both will appear when clicking through the portraits in the game if both exist.

--

Portrait Selector compatibility

• compatible:
    • BillyYank's Multi-Portrait
    • Dragonspear UI++
    • Infinity UI++
    • lefreut's Portrait Picker (selection screen will only show the small portraits if you have a file ending in M, but the actual game screens will scale down the L-size if you don't have one
  • not compatible:
    • Mr2150's Portrait Picker
Edited by Dan_P
5 hours ago, kijikun said:

How does this work with this like the portrait picker from eetui tweaks?

EDIT: I did some actual testing now with a few portrait screen ui mods

Portrait Selector compatibility:

• compatible with BillyYank's Multi-Portrait
  • compatible with lefreut's Portrait Picker (selection screen will only show small images if you have a file ending in M, but the actual game screens will scale down the large portraits)
  • not compatible with Mr2150's Portrait Picker

As a side note, the BillyYank's mod is pretty good. I think I'm going to use it in the future. I don't usually bother with UI mods because the base-game stuff for most games is usually "good enough" for me.

Edited by Dan_P
4 hours ago, Dan_P said:

EDIT: I did some actual testing now with a few portrait screen ui mods

Portrait Selector compatibility:

• compatible with BillyYank's Multi-Portrait
  • compatible with lefreut's Portrait Picker (selection screen will only show small images if you have a file ending in M, but the actual game screens will scale down the large portraits)
  • not compatible with Mr2150's Portrait Picker

As a side note, the BillyYank's mod is pretty good. I think I'm going to use it in the future. I don't usually bother with UI mods because the base-game stuff for most games is usually "good enough" for me.

Thank you for testing all this!

Update v1.5

• Rewrote the installer. It's more efficient + closed one potential (though unlikely) issue.

Not sure how many here are using this, but I've been wanting to redo this mod for a while. Speed increase will probably only be noticeable if you have hundreds of portraits for these games.

1 hour ago, Endarire said:

How important is this mod with Dragonspear UI++ which allows viewing tens of portraits at a time?

Probably depends how many portraits you have. I use BillyYank's portrait picker, which shows 10 portraits at a time, and it makes a difference for me. This is something people can decide for themselves.

There's also the aesthetic part to consider. Base-game portraits aren't shared between male and female. imo, custom portraits fit in better if they're also separated in this way. In the classic games, this doesn't really matter because you select from a list of filenames. With the EEs, you see the actual portrait images, so I think it looks better this way.