InPartySlot() is bugged

temnix

I thought there was one way with this stupid engine to tell apart the main character: he is in PartySlot1. But no! In BG2 Imoen, who is the first NPC to join the party, also counts as being in slot 1. They both do. This script, for example, puts a string over the head of Imoen:

IF
    InPartySlot("imoen",1)
THEN
    RESPONSE #1
        DisplayStringHead(PartySlot2,234)
END

Without that check but with DisplayStringHead(PartySlot1,234) the string appears over the protagonist.

Useless piece of junk! May the rats connect the holes and finish it up! I'm going to look for another way to have different actions in a script for the main character, but feel free to suggest something here.

Those are different things. PartySlot 1-6 are the portrait slots. The InPartySlot trigger is based on join order. Note that the info in the IESDP page that says that Player1Fill is the first portrait slot is incorrect for the EEs (that's based on classic BG2). For EEs, PartySlot1 is the first portrait slot. I mentioned this a while ago, but I guess it's still not changed.

Player1 through Player6, which doesn't do what you want. I'm not aware of any way to test "Is object X the same thing as object Y".

And that sort of identification seems like an important thing to have. My current "Dorn as protagonist" run stumbled on some cutscenes - you see, "CutsceneID(Player1)" followed by "ActionOverride(Dorn, do something)" breaks if Dorn is Player 1. No further commands in that scene are executed, including the all-important "end this cutscene" command. Only a force quit can get you out at that point. Knowing whether an ActionOverride will break the game seems like a good idea.