Inventory icons size - inconsistent engine behavior

Start a new game (bg2ee) and create the amulet of cheetah speed (C:CreateItem("amul26",1)

Current behaviour: 

The game display small icon when it is picked up , and large when the item is put away.

Expected behaviour:

The game should display large item icon.

Sam. explained me that weird engine beaviour:

"(...)the small icons (when they exist) are completely ignored by the engine.  The frame offsets are also completely ignored by the engine, and are instead calculated on the fly based on the width/height of the frame.  The large icons that are surrounded in rows and columns of transparent pixels get shrunk down by the engine based solely on their width/height to fit into the smaller inventory slots"

The engine can actually display both icon frames if they are configured correctly.

The issue is caused by the difference how the engines handle large and small icon frames of an item. The original engine expects each icon frame in a separate cycle (cycle 0: large icon, with shadow, cycle 1: small icon, without shadow). The EE engine expects both frames in a single cycle (frame 0: large icon, frame 1: small icon).

If only one icon frame is present or the second frame is assigned to a different cycle then the engine will only use the first frame.

It looks like there are still many icons present in the game with the old frame configuration. With the help of a WeiDU script I counted over 700 icons in BGEE+SoD, and still over 180 icons in BG2EE. A good number of them are probably defined intentionally that way or don't need fixing because they are unused.

1 hour ago, argent77 said:

The engine can actually display both icon frames if they are configured correctly.

I'm aware of this, but for most item types, people expect to only see the large icon because the slots themselves have been made larger in the EEs, and the small icons took distinctively tiny by comparison.  The current state of item icons is wildly inconsistent.  Apart from spell scrolls and generic scrolls, I count only about 42 item icons (used or unused) in BG2EE which actually make use of a small icon in Sequence_0000_Frame_0001.  If you exclude the amulets which are pretty much the same size in the large and small icons, you're left with only 11.  These plus the large icons the engine shrinks to make smaller because they're padded in transparent pixels tend to stand out.