Durations of an EFF application

When using effect 177, Use EFF file, what controls the length of the effect: the duration in this effect or the duration in the EFF file? This seems to work differently for different effects. I don't want surprises in the spells I still plan on making, and they can be very unpleasant. For instance, I had a mechanic just now that puts an area-of-effect 177 on NOTEVIL (the EA value) around the caster. The duration of this effect is Instant/Permanent until death, but the duration inside the EFF is very short. What the effect there is unimportant, but it's a good thing I decided to test this and changed it to a color glow to see if it would indeed apply. And they all glowed alright, only they wouldn't stop. It was permanent. Had I shipped the mod with the original effect, it would have wrecked the game of any player. So where is the direction that works? Is this really on a case-by-case basis? If so, this would be valuable information to put in the guide to effects.