Sling Damage Discrepancy

18 hours ago, lynx said:

You can lob it at a greater speed and blunt impact is good regardless of armor, unlike a throwing axe.

If an axe hits armor that prevents slashing/cutting damage, doesn't it basically just become blunt impact damage at that point?  But more power still generated with the sling I guess.

16 hours ago, 4udr4n said:

Slings are ridiculously misrepresented in games generally. They are longer ranged than bows and at least as deadly, probably in many cases much more so vs armoured opponents. Here's more from Todd:

I think the issue with them is that it takes a huge amount of practice to become accurate (having tried!), particularly vs moving targets.

In a battlefield context, I'd much rather face archers than slings, the hails of stones/bullets would be terrifying even in armour, but as a skirmishing adventurer I suspect a bow would be more of a threat.

Slings are also common, cheap, biodegradable and unglamourous, which harms their historical reputation and preservation.

All hail the sling I guess... 

What makes a bow a larger threat for a skirmishing adventurer? 

When you say farther range than bows, slings were used to throw bullets in large arcs as bows can fire arrows?  Given the apparent superiority of slings as a medieval ranged weapon (cost, ease of manufacture, damage) I assume that, in reality, slings were the most largely used ranged weapon during their time?

I'd still be interested in that mod you mentioned that removes the strength bonus.