Wizards of the Coast is hating on players with their proposed OGL (Open Gaming License) 1.1 revision.

Endarire

Because many of us are D&D fans and this may apply to us, here's the tweet saying that the permissions of the OGL 1.0a for fan works is something WotC wants gone, gone, gone!

I never subscribed to D&D Beyond, but now's a very good time for you to unsubscribe if you are subscribed.

Thankee!

Edited by Endarire

I wonder how or even if this can roll out. When the OGL was concieved a clause was put in saying that it could never be altered. Whether revoking it and putting up a replacement counts as altering or not, I couldn't say. There's also the matter of how this would be enforced. There would be very little copyrighted material to even claim, since the OGL is used for original works. I imagine some class action lawyer is rubbing their hands together at the thought.

Edited by Thacobell
Atrocious grammar and missing words.

The fact that they still haven't commented anything is enough for me, the intentions were clearly malicious. And the community is already proposing alternative governance models for a new open game license, new gaming systems etc. They couldn't have shot themselves in the foot harder if they tried.

I don't understand how one could retroactively change a license — any such legal text that allows it is garbage.

EDIT: I feel this is an appropriate level of hype for the future:

Edited by lynx