Force panic state

Salk

Hello!

I was wondering which is the easiest and simplest way to make sure that a neutral creature that turns hostile is just going to run from the fight in a panicked state.

Also, I'd need to make sure that the panicked creature won't leave the area.

Thanks!

Edited by Salk
17 hours ago, Salk said:

Hello!

I was wondering which is the easiest and simplest way to make sure that a neutral creature that turns hostile is just going to run from the fight in a panicked state.

Thanks!

There are at least three ways of doing so, on a direct scripting level you can (after the desired trigger block), use the actions:

THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		Panic()
END

or

THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		MoraleInc(Myself,-X)
END

where X is some value greater than the creature's morale stat.

The timing for recovery of morale is glitchy and possibly fails to happen, if you need the creature to only panic for a set period of time instead use:

THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		ApplySpellRES("XXXXXX",Myself)
END

XXXXXX being a filename of a .spl which applies opcode #24, the panic state, for whatever time you want, also set global timer or variable in the action if you're not checking for STATE_PANIC in the trigger block etc to ensure the script doesn't loop.

17 hours ago, Salk said:

You'll need to edit the doors of the area file and apply the NPC impassable flag.

Hello, polytope.

Thanks for the advice. I had already gone for solution 1 but I wanted to know if there were other better solutions available hence this topic.

My script block was this:

IF
    See([PC])
    Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        Panic()
END

I wanted to add a CheckStat for panic as trigger but I read that it only returns true for magically induced panicked state.

About the impassable NPC flags for doors instead, I guess I could revert the flag when the panicked state stops (creature death).

1 hour ago, Salk said:

I wanted to add a CheckStat for panic as trigger but I read that it only returns true for magically induced panicked state.

Actually, it will return true for morale failure (caused by a battle going badly, not by magic) but not for the Panic() which is faked like PlayDead() and which also doesn't seem to change the selection circle colour.

I think that the Panic() command is like Attack() - not AttackReevaluate() or AttackOneRound() - in that the creature won't do anything else and hence won't repeat the block, but there's no harm adding a timer or variable to be sure.