IWDification

I've read its best to install Ascension-IWDification-SCS if I want to play with the IWD spells. So, I assume SCS is balanced against the arcane and divine spells? Do enemies make good use of them?

Also, I assume SCS is not balanced against any other part of the mod like the class changes? 

On 4/5/2023 at 6:44 AM, KainenMorden said:

I've read its best to install Ascension-IWDification-SCS if I want to play with the IWD spells. So, I assume SCS is balanced against the arcane and divine spells? Do enemies make good use of them?

Unfortunately, the answer is no. As other people have noticed, the enemy AI doesn't know how to use (for example) Mordenkainen's Forceblade, Antimagic Shell trivializes beholder groups (except those containing Hive Mothers!) if you're a fighter/mage, and they can't cope with Divine Protection either.

If you want a longer version, the reviews on this blog explain the problem, it is not something for players looking for a tactically harder game:

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/01/SCS-BG2.html

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/06/IWDification-Mod.html

8 hours ago, polytope said:

Unfortunately, the answer is no. As other people have noticed, the enemy AI doesn't know how to use (for example) Mordenkainen's Forceblade, Antimagic Shell trivializes beholder groups (except those containing Hive Mothers!) if you're a fighter/mage, and they can't cope with Divine Protection either.

If you want a longer version, the reviews on this blog explain the problem, it is not something for players looking for a tactically harder game:

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/01/SCS-BG2.html

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/06/IWDification-Mod.html

Ennemies know how to use IWD spells. Mages like Lance of Disruption and Vitriolic Sphere, and druids use static charge.

IWD divine spells greatly help SCS clerics to stay alive.

14 hours ago, Trouveur80 said:

Ennemies know how to use IWD spells. Mages like Lance of Disruption and Vitriolic Sphere, and druids use static charge.

IWD divine spells greatly help SCS clerics to stay alive.

The player will make much better use of those spells than the AI will, especially the new cleric spells. Of the other ones you mentioned...

Druids using static charge, well, except Faldorn (BG2) and Amarande they are usually encountered outdoors where Call Lightning would be a better choice.

Lance of Disruption isn't much more powerful than Magic Missile, usually, on a successful save (18-27 damage for a 15th level caster), and it's crushing meaning it can be soaked by a single Stoneskin and resisted by barbarians, clerics or high level fighters etc.

Vitriolic Sphere isn't really enough burst damage to kill your characters immediately unless 3xVS in a spell sequencer, if they can retreat, then they can be healed/dispelled, note that players can handle damage-over-time effects better than the AI by guesstimating how long they have to survive and counteract it.

Protection from Energy does become a lot more useful in an IWDification playthrough, so prior to lvl 16 any character without spell protections might feel a bit more vulnerable, there is also the Limited Wish for globes on the whole party.

On 4/7/2023 at 9:46 PM, polytope said:

The player will make much better use of those spells than the AI will, especially the new cleric spells. Of the other ones you mentioned...

Druids using static charge, well, except Faldorn (BG2) and Amarande they are usually encountered outdoors where Call Lightning would be a better choice.

Lance of Disruption isn't much more powerful than Magic Missile, usually, on a successful save (18-27 damage for a 15th level caster), and it's crushing meaning it can be soaked by a single Stoneskin and resisted by barbarians, clerics or high level fighters etc.

Vitriolic Sphere isn't really enough burst damage to kill your characters immediately unless 3xVS in a spell sequencer, if they can retreat, then they can be healed/dispelled, note that players can handle damage-over-time effects better than the AI by guesstimating how long they have to survive and counteract it.

Protection from Energy does become a lot more useful in an IWDification playthrough, so prior to lvl 16 any character without spell protections might feel a bit more vulnerable, there is also the Limited Wish for globes on the whole party.

Well, I've just put the limitation on myself to not use IWD spells. So far, in BG1 and early BG2, enemy mages and clerics have used the iwd spells fairly effectively. In future playthroughs, I don't think I'd use them but I already have IWDification installed.