Greetings to all,

As the topic suggests, I mainly want to manipulate the "Dispel Effects", because I want to apply it to an item, but I find "Dispel Effects" overpowered.

You may be wondering why this is:

Spoiler
  • When I tested "Dispel Effects" on a melee weapon with a 100% chance, the attacked party member got the status effect "Miscast Magic" and their magic wards were dispelled on a successful hit.
  • When I tested "Dispel effects" on a melee weapon with probability of 20%, the attacked party member got the status effect "Miscast Magic", by every succesfull hit and his magic wards where dispelled with probability of 20%.

Interestingly, my cleric and druid where not affected by "Miscast Magic", but my wizard was. Meaning wizard has a chance to miscast spells, but druids and clerics not even though the icon for "Miscast Magic" on the portraits are present. 

I do not wish to have "Miscast Magic" but only "Dispel effects".

Also, having 100% "Miscast Magic" regardless of the probability set is just OP, imo (Please, I don't want to start a discussion here!).

This behaviour can also be found on "Arrow of Dispelling" (AROW07.ITM).

The tools I use are:

• Vs Code and BGforge MLS
  • WeiDU
  • Near Infinity

Here are my questions:

• Is it possible to alter such effects like "Dispel effects" for my own needs?
    • If yes, how?
    • If no, why and is there any possibility to overcome that barrier?
  • If you know any modding project which does that, could you please add a link to your answer? I want to use it as learning material.

Thank you for your time reading this!

2023-04-14 17_45_34-Near Infinity - Baldur's Gate_ Siege of Dragonspear.png

Yes, I tested this with a Wizard Slayer.

EDIT:

I see, where the mistake lies.

"Miscast effect" comes with the class.

Thanks for the hint.

However, these questions still interest me, because I want to know how to manipulate effects like "dispel effects" for future use :

• Is it possible to alter such effects like "Dispel effects" for my own needs?
    • If yes, how?
    • If no, why and is there any possibility to overcome that barrier?
  • If you know any modding project which does that, could you please add a link to your answer? I want to use it as learning material.

Edited by Incrementis

What opcodes like #58 (dispel) do is in the executable, not accessible to ordinary modding. You can work with the parameters it gives you, like setting levels for the dispel effect or making it a level-independent effect that always works, but you can't change what it fundamentally does without altering the game's executable.

There are projects out there that alter the executable to provide more options, notably EEEx. They come with the drawback of being platform-specific; EEEx is Windows-only at this time.

You can’t really alter the Dispel effect, rather, you can alter what effects are used by any given item or spell. So you can swap out Dispel (effect #58) for Slow (effect #40) or something like that. 

Or you can change the parameters of an effect’s implementation, like the probability of it happening, or its duration, or its associated saving throws, etc. 

A list of available effects is here.

Edited by subtledoctor