Newbie trying to add voiced lines to existing dialogue

Sozzric

I accidentally posted this in the Mod forum first, instead of the modding forum, sorry for that.

I'm a total neophyte where modding is concerned, I've managed to use WeiDu to convert the character's .dlg file into a .d file, I've added [ ] bracketed references to the audio files I've made (and put into the override folder, and now I'm not sure what I have to do to fold this modded file back into the game.  I thought maybe putting the recompiled .dlg file into the override might do it, I've tried adding APPEND to the beginning of the modded file, I've tried tlkmerge and a few other things I've trolled the forums here and elsewhere for, that seemed to sound similar to what I'm trying to do, but I'm just not savvy. 

What am I doing wrong?

I've also made the audio file names 8 characters long without knowing if that was necessary.

Alright, so I figured this would have been a textbook How-To question but I guess I put this in the wrong subforum.  I don't think posting the same thing three times will help matters, so maybe a mod can refile this elsewhere if it's off topic.  Talk about putting your best foot forward, I apologize.

Edited by Sozzric

Resource filenames can be no longer than 8 characters, so limiting to that was a good choice.

To answer your question, I'm very rusty but if this is a line of existing dialogue from the game (not added by a mod), it may be relatively straightforward to add or update the associated sounds using STRING_SET or one of its variants.

Here is an example I found on GitHub with a function that behaves similar to what you want, updating sounds associated with existing strings:

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION ~APPEND_SOUND~
INT_VAR
  StrRef = 0
STR_VAR
  MaleSound = ""
  FemaleSound = ""
BEGIN
  ACTION_IF (StrRef != 0 ) THEN BEGIN
    ACTION_GET_STRREF StrRef Male
    ACTION_GET_STRREF_F StrRef Female
    STRING_SET_EVALUATE StrRef ~%Male%~ [%MaleSound%] ~%Female%~ [%FemaleSound%]
  END
END

The function can be invoked like so:

LAF ~APPEND_SOUND~ INT_VAR StrRef = 2444 STR_VAR MaleSound = "DRIZZT11" FemaleSound = "DRIZZT11" END