Compatibility and Installation

Guest temyankee

14 hours ago, grodrigues said:

The instructions for installing spell revisions are right there on the README.md

To recap:

1. Requirement: have weidu installed and on your path.

2. Download the latest source release.

3. Unzip the zip and copy the spell_rev subfolder to your BG installation.

4. Run "weinstall spell_rev"

This all seems obvious to me, but I am on linux, and I regularly work on the command line, so I am not even aware of what problems a new user might face. So, first question: how can the instructions be improved? Second question: how can the visibility of such instructions improve?

@Mike1072I am very busy atm, but will try to push a release this weekend, no promises though. Furthermore, have been mucking around with a mod on top of SR lately and I think I found another bug, this time in the Banishment spell, so would like to get that in first.

Perhaps, specific installation instructions for each operating system. "weinstall spell_rev" is foreign to me. Once it was explained to me, especially that I needed to account for the GOG version with SoD by using the DLC Merger first, I was able to get through it better. Another thing that might help would be to explain each option given during installation a little bit better. I am having trouble with Divine Remix installing. Not certain what some of the Yes/No options are for and not certain about other options as well. Regardless, after making all of my decisions for that one, I get nothing. I will start BG EE, select Single Player, then select New Game. At that moment, it freezes and creates a crash log. Not sure where that would be located, but with help, I could post or forward that to get additional assistance.

I thanx all of the people on here that have helped me so fay. I am having a bit more fun with the additional content I have been able to install thus far.

Regarding my issue with the Divine Remix installation:

So, I tried installing the individual components differently that I have before. I notice that is skips over the Battleguard of Tempus, sayin that it already exists. Then, is skips the Battleguard of Tempus for Branwenas as result. Why is it skipping in the first place? The only Tempus kit I have is the original. and, at the very end, I get a Fatal Error: Sys_error(".\\lang\\en_us\\dialig.tlk: Permission denied")

Edited by temyankee
Update
15 hours ago, temyankee said:

Perhaps, specific installation instructions for each operating system. "weinstall spell_rev" is foreign to me. Once it was explained to me, especially that I needed to account for the GOG version with SoD by using the DLC Merger first, I was able to get through it better. Another thing that might help would be to explain each option given during installation a little bit better. I am having trouble with Divine Remix installing. Not certain what some of the Yes/No options are for and not certain about other options as well. Regardless, after making all of my decisions for that one, I get nothing. I will start BG EE, select Single Player, then select New Game. At that moment, it freezes and creates a crash log. Not sure where that would be located, but with help, I could post or forward that to get additional assistance.

Thanks, this is helpful; I will try to cobble something together. If you do not mind me asking, if "weinstall spell_rev" is foreign to you, how do you install mods? There should be a tutorial on mod installation floating around somewhere on the forums (by camdawg, I think?)...

Edit: google is your friend for these cases. The tutorial can be found here: New player guide to installing and playing mods.

Unfortunately, cannot help you with the problems with Divine Remix, as I do not use the mod, but someone here might be able to help.

Also, as a warning, there is currently a bug with SR when installed on BG: EE (the problem does *not* exist on BG2:EE or EET); when casting some spells you will get non-sensical text thrown into the log window. This problem is a PITA to solve, and I have not had the time to address it -- or more precisely, I have installed the scaffolding necessary to solve it, but only solved it for a couple of spells.

Edited by grodrigues
tutorial link

When I download a mod, there are two possible options to install: 1) The mod is a self extracting .exe file, in which case I simply double click on it and follow the instructions and prompts to install, or 2) The mod is a compressed folder that I have to extract, move the contents to the BG EE install directory, then double click on the appropriate "setup_***" file and follow the prompts  to install.

Divine Remix: As far as I can tell, the problem, at least for me, is the Sphere system. If I don't install it, everything else works fine.

As for SR, I guess I'll hold off on using that for BG EE for now.

Thanx.