Compatibility and Installation

Guest temyankee

Guest temyankee

So, I am very interested in using the Spell Revisions mod for BG: EE. First - Is Spell Revisions compatible with Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition? Next, I downloaded the

lin-spell_rev-v4-beta18

and extracted it. When I read the HTML Readme, It is describing an .exe file that should be placed in my BG/Tutu folder, which I don't have as I was under the impression this was also compatible with the EE versions of BG and BG2. PLease clarify for me how to correctly use this mod as I am very interested in using it. Thanx.

Are you on Linux? 

Probably need to read more about installing mods generally. On Windows it is fairly simple - put the mod files into your game folder (where “chitin.key” is) and double-click the mod’s .exe file. 

On other platforms it can be a bit more involved. You’ll need to figure out the procedure for your platform, then apply that to this mod. 

We received a follow-up via email:

Would it be posible for someone to give me step by step instructions on which file(s) to download, and then how to install them? I have tried a few times and it never seems to wor correctly. The closest I got wasn't something that was playable. Also, I keep seeing differing information stating that Spell Revisions is compatible with BG: EE and BG II: EE or that it is only compatible with BG II: EE. Please clarify which games this is compatible with, including IWD: EE and/or IWD II, and how exactly to install them. I have never used mods for any of the BG series of games, but am very interested in this one and a few other I have seen out there. But, like I said, I seem to be failing every time I try to install something. Help.

Spell Revisions is compatible with BG2, Tutu, BGT, BG:EE, BG2:EE, EET, and IWD:EE.

The latest version of the mod is v4.19rc1, which can be downloaded from the release page on GitHub (scroll down to "Assets").

When installing mods, you need to grab the right installation package for your operating system.
  • packages prefixed with "lin-" are for Linux operating systems
  • packages prefixed with "mac-" or "osx-" are for macOS / OS X operating systems
  • packages with no prefix that end in ".exe" are for Windows operating systems
Here are the installation instructions we include in our readmes.  The process is the same for the majority of mods.

Windows
Spell Revisions is packaged and installed with WeiDU and is distributed as a self-extracting archive. To install, simply double-click the archive and follow the instructions on screen.

(Alternatively, the files can be extracted from the archive using 7-Zip or WinRAR and placed inside your game folder, e.g. "Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition". If properly extracted, you should have a "spell_rev" folder and setup-spell_rev.exe in your game folder. To install, double-click setup-spell_rev.exe and follow the instructions on screen.)

Please run setup-spell_rev.exe in your game folder to reinstall, uninstall, or otherwise change components.
macOS
If the mod was previously installed, uninstall it before extracting the new version. Spell Revisions is packaged and installed with WeiDU. To install, simply extract the contents of the mod into your game folder. If properly extracted, you should have a "spell_rev" folder, setup-spell_rev, and setup-spell_rev.command in your game folder. To install, double-click setup-spell_rev.command and follow the instructions on screen.
Linux
Extract the contents of the mod to the folder of the game you wish to modify. Download the latest version of WeiDU for Linux from GitHub and copy WeiDU and WeInstall to /usr/bin. Following that, open a terminal, cd to your installation directory, run 'tolower' and answer Y to both queries. You can avoid running the second option (linux.ini) if you've already ran it once in the same directory. To save time, the archive is already tolowered, so there's no need to run the first option (lowercasing file names) either if you've extracted only this mod since the last time you lower cased file names. If you're unsure, running tolower and choosing both options is the safe bet.

Run WeInstall spell_rev in your game folder to install the mod. Then run wine BGMain.exe and start playing.

For additional information, please see A New Player's Guide to Installing and Playing Mods.
Guest temyankee

So, I followed the instructions above to the letter. When I start the .exe, I had to change the folder to install it in my BG: EE directory. Got it installed correctly, according to the app. When I start a new BG: EE character and select a Mage, when I get to the spell selection screen, I have a lot of odd entries as spell names. It looks almost like conversation lines got mixed in with the spell names. For example, the first spell listed, which has its' own icon, says the following for the spell title:

A fair point. All right, Start at the beginning. Who is Caelar and what is the purpose of this crusade of hers?

And the spell description says:

Fame. It's a heavy burden to bear.

Why did this happen and how can it be resolved.

Note: when I first DL the file spell_rev-v4.19rc1.exe, I get a warning that it is not a regularly downloaded file. I kept the file, overriding my system's worries. But regardless, what am I doing wrong that I am getting these issues?

Still beleaguered player.

I tested it out on a fresh BG:EE install and witnessed the same behaviour you're seeing, but I (eventually) figured out the problem.

If you have BGEE and Siege of Dragonspear, you have to install the DLC Merger mod before installing any other mods.

So, to get your game working:

1. Open your BG:EE directory and run setup-spell_rev.exe, and this time choose to Uninstall every component.
  2. Download win-64bit-A7-DlcMerger-v1.3.zip from the link above and extract setup-DlcMerger.exe and the DlcMerger folder to your BG:EE directory.
  3. Run setup-DlcMerger.exe and choose the first option:  Merge "Siege of Dragonspear" DLC
  4. Run setup-spell_rev.exe and Install the components you want to use.

Apologies for the misdirection earlier.  I should have made sure to copy the info from one of our more recently updated readme files.  There's a section in there for this!

Special Note for Siege of Dragonspear from Steam/GOG

Good Old Games (GOG) and Steam both package the additional content for Siege of Dragonspear in a method that WeiDU, the tool used to install this mod, cannot access. You must run a program called DLC Merger on your SoD installation before you can install this or any other WeiDU-based mod.

Works now. So, if I want to use any other DLC, I need to do the same thing? Would I use the same procedure for the other games such as BG2 EE, IWD EE? Does it work for IWD 2? just curious. But to restate, if I want to use this for BG2 EE, I first need the DLC Merger installed in that directory, run it, then run the Spell Revisions .exe file and have it installed into the BG 2EE directory, right?

Suggestion : Install Subtledoctor's Random Tweaks (a.k.a. D5_Random_Tweaks) in combination with Spell Revisions. It makes a lot of sensible small changes that open up all kinds of possibilities, especially for low-level spells.

My list:

Spoiler

~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Cure and Similar Spells Bypass Spell Protections: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2105 // Add 1-Round Blindness Effect to Color Spray: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2108 // Change Protection from Petrification into 'Mirrored Eyes': 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2116 // Allow Targets of Sleep to Wake on Hit: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1151 // Reduce Damage but Improve Blindness in SR's Sunscorch: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1152 // Improve Faerie Fire: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2201 // Add Missile Avoidance to Blur: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2209 // Make Luck Affect Whole Party: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2212 // Move Mirror Image to 3rd Level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2213 // Add Lingering Effects to SR's Stinking Cloud: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2215 // Make Web Slow Instead of Hold: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2217 // Change Agannazar's Scorcher to Melf's Fiery Missiles: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2224 // Improve Glitterdust: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1202 // Make Barkskin Block One Attack Each Round: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1207 // Make Goodberry an Out-of-Combat Mass Regeneration: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1212 // Tweak Slow Poison: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2305 // Make Haste and Slow Properly Cancel Each Other: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2321 // Make Spell Thrust Target Actors: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2324 // Make Hold Undead and Control Undead Bypass MR: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1323 // Improve Casting Time of Exaltation and Spiritual Clarity: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1352 // Increase Range of Icelance: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2413 // Allow Target of Otiluke's Sphere to Use Inventory Screen: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2418 // Set Fire Shield and Acid Sheath Spells to be Breachable: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1404 // Change Neutralize Poison into 'Remove Afflictions': 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2508 // Improve Function of SR's Waves of Fatigue: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2518 // Change Damage Type and School of Phantom Blade: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2523 // Change Sunfire into 'Missile Storm': 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1505 // Make True Seeing Party-Wide: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1603 // Set Blade Barrier to be Breachable: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1609 // Make False Dawn Bypass Magic Resistance: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1613 // Make Physical Mirror Block 1 Attack Per Three Seconds: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1614 // Make Sol's Searing Orb Easier to Throw: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2711 // Adjust the Effects of Chaos: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1710 // Add Slow Effect to Holy Word: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2808 // Set Moment of Prescience to Not Breachable: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2811 // Move Symbol: Fear to 7th Level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2916 // Move Shapechange to 8th Level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2915 // Move Black Blade of Disaster to 8th level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2914 // Add Instant Death Effect to Energy Drain: 1.5.7

4 hours ago, temyankee said:

Works now. So, if I want to use any other DLC, I need to do the same thing? Would I use the same procedure for the other games such as BG2 EE, IWD EE? Does it work for IWD 2? just curious. But to restate, if I want to use this for BG2 EE, I first need the DLC Merger installed in that directory, run it, then run the Spell Revisions .exe file and have it installed into the BG 2EE directory, right?

BGEE+SoD needs the DLC Merger thing just once, then you can install any mods. 

IWDEE, BG2EE, and BGEE without SoD: these do not need DLC Merger - for these games just follow these instructions. (With the caveat that in each case you need to find the proper “game folder” for the game you are modding.)

No idea about IWD2. It is an older game with a very different engine, and most mods around here will not work for it. (Maybe FixPack and Tweaks Anthology have bits that work with IWD2? But certainly nothing else around here does.)

1 hour ago, Chitown Willie said:

Suggestion : Install Subtledoctor's Random Tweaks (a.k.a. D5_Random_Tweaks) in combination with Spell Revisions. It makes a lot of sensible small changes that open up all kinds of possibilities, especially for low-level spells.

My list:

Reveal hidden contents

~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Cure and Similar Spells Bypass Spell Protections: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2105 // Add 1-Round Blindness Effect to Color Spray: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2108 // Change Protection from Petrification into 'Mirrored Eyes': 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2116 // Allow Targets of Sleep to Wake on Hit: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1151 // Reduce Damage but Improve Blindness in SR's Sunscorch: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1152 // Improve Faerie Fire: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2201 // Add Missile Avoidance to Blur: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2209 // Make Luck Affect Whole Party: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2212 // Move Mirror Image to 3rd Level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2213 // Add Lingering Effects to SR's Stinking Cloud: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2215 // Make Web Slow Instead of Hold: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2217 // Change Agannazar's Scorcher to Melf's Fiery Missiles: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2224 // Improve Glitterdust: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1202 // Make Barkskin Block One Attack Each Round: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1207 // Make Goodberry an Out-of-Combat Mass Regeneration: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1212 // Tweak Slow Poison: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2305 // Make Haste and Slow Properly Cancel Each Other: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2321 // Make Spell Thrust Target Actors: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2324 // Make Hold Undead and Control Undead Bypass MR: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1323 // Improve Casting Time of Exaltation and Spiritual Clarity: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1352 // Increase Range of Icelance: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2413 // Allow Target of Otiluke's Sphere to Use Inventory Screen: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2418 // Set Fire Shield and Acid Sheath Spells to be Breachable: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1404 // Change Neutralize Poison into 'Remove Afflictions': 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2508 // Improve Function of SR's Waves of Fatigue: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2518 // Change Damage Type and School of Phantom Blade: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2523 // Change Sunfire into 'Missile Storm': 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1505 // Make True Seeing Party-Wide: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1603 // Set Blade Barrier to be Breachable: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1609 // Make False Dawn Bypass Magic Resistance: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1613 // Make Physical Mirror Block 1 Attack Per Three Seconds: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1614 // Make Sol's Searing Orb Easier to Throw: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2711 // Adjust the Effects of Chaos: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1710 // Add Slow Effect to Holy Word: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2808 // Set Moment of Prescience to Not Breachable: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2811 // Move Symbol: Fear to 7th Level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2916 // Move Shapechange to 8th Level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2915 // Move Black Blade of Disaster to 8th level: 1.5.7
~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2914 // Add Instant Death Effect to Energy Drain: 1.5.7

So, am I to download all of those files individually? Or is there a way to acquire them in one DL archive?

Go to the "releases" page: https://github.com/subtledoctor/d5_Random_Tweaks/releases/tag/1.6. (1.6 is the current version as of this posting)

The files available there are the same thing; the only difference is the choice of compression format. Choose whichever one you can easily unpack.

Clicking on the folder is useful if you want to examine the code without downloading a permanent copy, or maybe to download and examine a particular file. It's not where you go if you just want to download and use the mod.

The instructions for installing spell revisions are right there on the README.md

To recap:

1. Requirement: have weidu installed and on your path.

2. Download the latest source release.

3. Unzip the zip and copy the spell_rev subfolder to your BG installation.

4. Run "weinstall spell_rev"

This all seems obvious to me, but I am on linux, and I regularly work on the command line, so I am not even aware of what problems a new user might face. So, first question: how can the instructions be improved? Second question: how can the visibility of such instructions improve?

@Mike1072I am very busy atm, but will try to push a release this weekend, no promises though. Furthermore, have been mucking around with a mod on top of SR lately and I think I found another bug, this time in the Banishment spell, so would like to get that in first.

Edited by grodrigues
re-write som
On 4/25/2023 at 5:36 PM, Guest temyankee said:

So, I am very interested in using the Spell Revisions mod for BG: EE. First - Is Spell Revisions compatible with Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition? Next, I downloaded the

lin-spell_rev-v4-beta18

and extracted it. When I read the HTML Readme, It is describing an .exe file that should be placed in my BG/Tutu folder, which I don't have as I was under the impression this was also compatible with the EE versions of BG and BG2. PLease clarify for me how to correctly use this mod as I am very interested in using it. Thanx.

Be aware that SR nerfs haste spell nad severly nerfs improved haste.