[Bug] "Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items: v16" broken when installed with another tweak

Steps to repro on game directory (under Linux, latest weidu - I'm not assuming it breaks the same way on Windows, did not have the chance to try and reproduce it there):

1. weinstall cdtweaks, pick "Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items: v16" and "Separate Resist Fire/Cold Icon into Separate Icons [Angel]: v16".
2. wine Baldur.exe
3. use CLUAConsole:CreateItem("HELM04",1,0,0), equip helm, see that Resist Fire and Resist Cold portraits still appear on character portrait.

Steps that fix:

1. weinstall cdtweaks --force-install 2010, then weinstall cdtweaks --force-install 90
2. repeat steps 2 and 3 above, but this time no Resist Fire and Resist Cold appear on the character portrait.

The issue is not platform dependent, and I'd put the blame entirely on the "Separate Resist Fire/Cold Icon into Separate Icons" component.

The way the component for splitting the resist fire/cold icon works ... actually, here's the entire code.

INCLUDE ~cdtweaks/lib/bg2fp_effect_batches.tpa~

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.cre$~ ~override~
                          ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~
                          ~^.+\.spl$~ ~override~
  LPF cd_apply_batch STR_VAR array_name = cd_cold_icons END
  LPF cd_apply_batch STR_VAR array_name = cd_fire_icons END
  BUT_ONLY

The real action there is in a separate library of standardized stuff originally developed for the BG2 fixpack. Here, the cd_cold_icons batch removes the resist fire/cold icon and adds the cold resistance icon, if a cold resistance effect is present. The cd_fire_icons batch removes the resist fire/cold icon and adds the fire resistance icon, if a fire resistance icon is present.

So here's your issue. If you install the other component first and remove portrait icons from equipped icons, this component will add fire and/or cold resistance icons back in whenever the item grants fire and/or cold resistance.

This doesn't seem like a good way of doing things. Wouldn't it make more sense to key everything off the portrait icons? If the resist fire/cold icon is present, replace it with the fire resistance and cold resistance icons. I mean, the following code should work in place of the above:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.cre$~ ~override~
                          ~^.+\.itm$~ ~override~
                          ~^.+\.spl$~ ~override~
  LPF CLONE_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 142 match_parameter2 = 26 parameter2 = 16
  LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode = 142 match_parameter2 = 26 parameter2 = 25
BUT_ONLY

It might be possible to optimize that better for speed, but it does seem entirely functional to me. And it would fix your issue; if the resist fire/cold icon has already been removed by something else, this won't be adding fire resistance and cold resistance icons.

I'm probably not qualified to opine on optimization and weidu best practices since I'm new at this, but your solution worked.

I just added a silent = 1 to both LPF calls to avoid the deluge of "WARNING: no effects added to X" :).

Thank you!

Edited by marco_costa

On the 'optimize for speed' front, my instinct would be to refactor the COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP call to use a single regex with cre/itm/spl or just cre/spl depending on whether setup-cdtweaks.tp2 #90 has been installed.

That'd introduce coupling between the tweaks, but eliminate the need to silent = 1 the LPF calls.

EDIT: heh, that's not exactly right. my instincts are as naive as I'd expect.

Edited by marco_costa
correcting for wrongness
INCLUDE ~cdtweaks/lib/bg2fp_effect_batches.tpa~

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION replace_fire_cold_resist_icons
BEGIN
  // If "Remove icons added by equipping items" was installed, there
  // are no Resist Fire/Cold portrait icons in ITM files to remove
  ACTION_IF MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~%TP2_FILE_NAME%~ ~90~ THEN BEGIN
    OUTER_SPRINT regex ~^.+\.\(cre\|spl\)$~
  END ELSE BEGIN
    OUTER_SPRINT regex ~^.+\.\(cre\|spl\|itm\)$~
  END
  COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~%regex%~ ~override~
    LPF cd_apply_batch STR_VAR array_name = cd_cold_icons END
    LPF cd_apply_batch STR_VAR array_name = cd_fire_icons END
    BUT_ONLY
END

LAF replace_fire_cold_resist_icons END

Attempt #2 at the efficiency angle. Seems to work so long as the assumption I lay out in the comment isn't wrong.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:27 AM, Axatax said:

On a similar note, the "disable portrait icons" causes the game to freeze when the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity is identified by a shopkeeper, and then the girdle is subsequently picked up in the inventory screen.

I'm unable to repro this.

Otherwise, Separate Resist Fire/Cold Icon into Separate Icons [Angel] will no longer add portrait icons for equipped items if the Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items component is installed.