How to edit critical-hit-protection in non-EE BG2?

Zot

Newbie question, just messing around with NearInfinity to give a pure Kensai run some love. I remember when any item in the head slot protected against critical hits, but it was admittedly a bug which was eventually corrected.

What I'd like to do is edit one or more specific items (e.g. Mask of King Strohm, possibly a combat-oriented Ioun Stone or two) to provide critical-hit protection, just like a standard helmet does. NearInfinity seems to indicate a toggle on the item that would apply in EE games, but it doesn't seem to work in my non-EE install. Is this even possible in a non-EE install, and if so, how?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Zot said:

Newbie question, just messing around with NearInfinity to give a pure Kensai run some love. I remember when any item in the head slot protected against critical hits, but it was admittedly a bug which was eventually corrected.

What I'd like to do is edit one or more specific items (e.g. Mask of King Strohm, possibly a combat-oriented Ioun Stone or two) to provide critical-hit protection, just like a standard helmet does. NearInfinity seems to indicate a toggle on the item that would apply in EE games, but it doesn't seem to work in my non-EE install. Is this even possible in a non-EE install, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Assuming you have ToBEx installed, it works the same way as it does in the EEs. Helmets always grant critical hit protection, unless they have the critical hit protection toggle flag enabled; other item types never grant critical hit protection, unless they have the critical hit protection toggle flag enabled. In other words, if you want an ioun stone or the Mask of King Strohm to protect against critical hits, make sure the toggle flag is disabled.

Edited by Bartimaeus
I forgot a period at the end of my post

Thanks for the quick replies! Not exactly sure what ToBEx is, but... probably? My install includes the Fixpack, BGT, Ascension, Tweaks and SCS. In hindsight the change probably happened when I got into the mods.

Helmets always grant critical hit protection, unless they have the critical hit protection toggle flag enabled; other item types never grant critical hit protection, unless they have the critical hit protection toggle flag enabled.

And, just to be clear, when you say "helmet" you mean "goes into the head slot"/"Category:Headgear". Correct? It didn't seem to work for me, but I'll run some tests and try again.

Ok, ran a quick test and I think I figured it out. I was getting crit because I had edited the Mask of King Strohm by ENABLING that flag (thinking that I was doing the opposite). Disabling the flag fixed the problem. A quick look through the other headgear items shows that things are better for my Kensai than I thought, as indeed my install is protecting crits by default with ANY item in the head slot. From a game-balance perspective I think it would be better if only *certain* items had that property, but at least I've solved the mystery.

Thanks to you both.

Cheers.