XPLIST.2da Question

Jumbletuff

Doing another large EET install and one of them messed up my XPLIST.2da (replacing all of column 0 w/ 1s). I fixed that with a back up, but I was curious about what the "-1" under each column means. It going from 0 to 40 makes me assume it's level related (likely average level party), but does it literally just mean subtracting a single 1 XP per level? The IESDP article does not appear to clarify this.

Apologies if this is obvious or if I missed a resource on it. Any input is appreciated.

No, the -1s are just default "nothing to see here" values; the "-1" in the second row says that this table uses that as a default value. XPLIST.2da is used with the AddXP2DA script action:

327 AddXP2DA(S:Column*) Variants: [BG2/BGEE/PSTEE] [BG1/IWD1/IWD2/PST]

This action gives a level dependent amount of XP to the party or a single party member. The XP amount is listed in XPLIST.2DA at the intersection of the party level (column) and quest row (the mis-named parameter). The file lists the same XP value for all quests for all levels.

In the BG series, this is used for a bunch of ToB quests and nowhere else. The first column is the identifier token, the second is a comment for what plot bit it's associated with, and the third (labeled "0") is the actual XP amount. The remaining columns, from "1" to "40" are all -1 already; none of the XP grants in the game using this action have actual level-based variation.

So, if you replace that column of XP values with all -1s, you won't be getting XP for stuff like progressing in Watcher's Keep or killing Abazigal.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. So basically you could, theoretically, set a scale from 1 to 40 if you felt so inclined, correct?

Also, If I want to modify XP rewards for BG1 or SoA on an EET (or non EET) install, where would that be done? 

Asking because (1) for learning sake as I'm doing my current install to also learn a bit about mods, fixing mod compatibility issues as they arise,  and possibly making my own & (2) I have a large EET install and I'm curious if I can tweak the values as I go for the whole saga and save it for later if I like my current mod setup and want to streamline the values.

Thanks again.

Nothing definitive. First thought was EET Tweaks quest XP modification component:

Spoiler

EET_Tweaks:2051;Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trilogy Tweaks (EET Tweaks) - Decrease to 75%

I've attach the install list if interested, but I'm probably going to do some test installs later tonight or tomorrow to slowly isolate the culprit.  Please note the attached list is all mods that installed with no issues. Any input is fine if you're feeling froggy.

My current install is fine for the most part, just some quests still only give 1 XP; appears to only impact mod quests though. It's easy to work around until it's figured out.

09.2023 - BG.EET.txt

Aka, start a weidu.exe in the game folder and push enter until it shows the command console, and then give these two commands to it:

mkdir change-log
WeiDU.exe --log nul --change-log xplist.2da >change-log/change-log.txt --out change-log

And then open the folder the first command makes and you have the backup files there, and opening the .txt will give you which mods edited it and in what order, and comparing the text files (renamed as .2da's) you can see which backup has the non zero values and which ones don't and inso doing also find which mod was responsible .. and yes, the setup-modname.exe -files are just renamed weidu.exe's to take commands from the ralated setup-modname.tp2 -files.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
17 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Aka, start a weidu.exe in the game folder and push enter until it shows the command console, and then give these two commands to it:

mkdir change-log
WeiDU.exe --log nul --change-log xplist.2da >change-log/change-log.txt --out change-log

And then open the folder the first command makes and you have the backup files there, and opening the .txt will give you which mods edited it and in what order, and comparing the text files (renamed as .2da's) you can see which backup has the non zero values and which ones don't and inso doing also find which mod was responsible .. and yes, the setup-modname.exe -files are just renamed weidu.exe's to take commands from the ralated setup-modname.tp2 -files.

Awesome thank you. Helped me find it. You can even see my mistake in the above log lol:

Spoiler

EET_Tweaks:2065;Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trilogy Tweaks (EET Tweaks) - Disable

I 100% forgot to remove this my last pass over. What's weird is I'm still getting XP on some quests, but I'll figure that out later. Also wasn't a waste since I learned how EXP is given out in quests.

Thanks all for the help.

The 2DA is normally only used for ToB quest XP; quests in other parts of the game use other systems. For example, the stronghold quests use AddXPObject actions to give XP to each party member.

And, of course, a mod that messes with this table might also change the scripts and dialogues that invoke it to use other systems.