"Invalid directory" on linux version of BG GOG

Hi,

There quite a similar topic, but it's very old and I guess things have changed a lot in 5 years.

Whenever I try to install EET (version 1.5) on my linux version of BG GOG (version 2.6.6.0), EET tells me that the directoy provided is invalid:

Invalid directory, or incorrect BG:EE+SoD installation.
It is safe to abort this installation by closing this window or pressing Ctrl+C.

I installed the linux GOG version, I'm using a ciopfs folder after having changed all folder/files case to lowercase. I can install mods, but not EET.

Movie sodcin05.wbm is into movies folder.

I installed Argent77's DLCMerger mod to merge with SoD.

Following advices on other topics, I tired to use both relative or full paths, with no luck.

The game can be launched and works for both BGI and BGII.

Has anyone ever been able to use EET mod on the linux version?

Edited by psyko_nevro

It is possible, but there are potential pitfalls. Linux WeiDU automatically lowercases all paths internally. If the (absolute or relative) path to BGEE+SoD contains capital letters then you won't be able to proceed. The easiest way to solve it is probably to create a symlink to the BGEE folder where the path consists only of lowercase characters. You can remove the symlink after EET has been installed.

I don't use ciopfs to mod games on Linux, so there may be additional steps involved with that method. I prefer casefolded ext4 partitions for these games which is much less hassle (except maybe for the initial part.)

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, while EET installation is now working, the game isn't anymore. When I run BGII, I get in the terminal

INFO: Err: [string "M_K#TBL.lua"]:103: unfinished string near '""He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche.'
INFO: LUA: UI string not found: Recent events text will go here.
INFO: LUA: Initializing Quests
INFO: [string "menu"]:25: attempt to index global 'startCampaignData' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	return debug.traceback():1: in main chunk
	=[C]: in function '__index'
	menu:25: in function 'onCampaignButton'
	function onopen0x5616799696f0 () 
		if(Infinity_GetINIValue('Program Options','EET Installation State') == 1) then --EET_end not installed
			Infinity_PushMenu('START_INSTALLATION_WARNING')
		end
		if (start_doOnce == nil) then
			currentCampaign = Infinity_GetINIValue('Program Options','Active Campaign')
			if (currentCampaign == 0) then
				currentCampaign = 1
			end
			onCampaignButton(currentCampaign)
			highlightedCampaign = currentCampaign
			start_doOnce = 1
			return
		end
		canContinue = startEngine:HasGameToContinue()
		Infinity_PlayMovie('flames','flames')
		e:CheckGUISong()
		local state = startEngine:GetEngineState()
		if lastStartMenu and lastStartMenu ~= 'START' then
			Infinity_PopMenu('START')
			Infinity_PushMenu(lastStartMenu)
			lastStartMenu = nil
		elseif state == 1 or state == 3 then
			Infinity_PushMenu('START_SP')
		elseif state == 2 then
			Infinity_PushMenu('START_MP')
		end
		--Infinity_SetBackground('BACKGROUND')

--If we're coming back from the tutorial make sure we're set to our actual campaign.
		--if(Infinity_GetINIValue('Program Options','Active Campaign') == const.START_CAMPAIGN_BG1) then
		--	startEngine:OnCampaignButtonClick('BG1',false)
		--end
..."]:1> end:10: in function <[string "function onopen0x5616799696f0 () 

(more messsages similar to the last continue)

and a popup with "[string "M_K#TBL.lua"]:103: unfinished string near '""He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche.'"

Then I get the BGI interface, with no option into "select campaign"...

Any idea whats happening

Sorry, my bad, don't know where I got that number...

here is the weidu.log

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~EET/EET.TP2~ #0 #0 // EET core (resource importation): V13.4
~EET_END/EET_END.TP2~ #0 #0 // EET end (last mod in install order) -> Standard installation

Seems like it works with the latest EET version! I need to make intensive tests now and play. But I can access the various chapters, thanks!

I still have a small issue, a string not translated when starting the game: "Invalid 232207" (see attached screenshot), but it doesn't prevent me from running the game.

Thanks everybody! Will report back if I find an issue.

Screenshot from 2023-11-10 11-56-12.png

You gave me the hint I need. I investigated the Baldur.lua (localted in ~/.local/share/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy/) and it was indeed in English, although I installed the mods in French.

So I changed the language in the Baldur.lua to:

SetPrivateProfileString('Language','Text','fr_fr')

And now everything works! Thanks so much for you help, Graion.