[v35.1] Revised Elementals fails to install if something else already provides clerical Conjure Water- and Conjure Air Elemental spells

As the title says, the Revised Elementals component fails if CLERIC_CONJURE_WATER_ELEMENTAL and CLERIC_CONJURE_AIR_ELEMENTAL (i.e. from MiH Spell Pack) are already present.  The installer gives a warning about not copying an already existing spell, but then tries and fails to patch an empty spell file.

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

What do you think is the preferred behavior. - should I skip the component, or overwrite MiH’s version?

MiH's version is just an edited copy of Conjure Fire Elemental, just like you are doing here.  So I see no harm in overwriting it or editing it, the result should be the same.  Note that I also provide Conjure Air Elemental (which is an edit of Conjure Earth Elemental).

Note that  the same problem has also been reported if the Trials of the Luremaster mod is installed.  I have no experience with that one myself.

Similarly, Adjust Monster Summoning spells throws some warnings if something else already provides Summon Monster IV-VII.  (Specifically it complains about missing dw#ms4yu.cre which it apparently assumes to be present.)

On 12/7/2023 at 2:04 PM, Angel said:

Similarly, Adjust Monster Summoning spells throws some warnings if something else already provides Summon Monster IV-VII.  (Specifically it complains about missing dw#ms4yu.cre which it apparently assumes to be present.)

That one I can't easily do anything about.

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

That one I can't easily do anything about.

My solution was to change line 129 in spell/adjust_summoning.tpa to:

cre.copy[icyuan01=>dw#ms4yu|source_location=resource]

Since both spell/monster_summoning_iwd.tpa and iwdspells/lib/summoned_monsters_arcane.tpa create it that way.

If you like I can bundle all edits I have done so far in a pull request so you can see everything I did.

9 minutes ago, Angel said:

My solution was to change line 129 in spell/adjust_summoning.tpa to:

cre.copy[icyuan01=>dw#ms4yu|source_location=resource]

Since both spell/monster_summoning_iwd.tpa and iwdspells/lib/summoned_monsters_arcane.tpa create it that way.

My hesitancy is that if the MS spells are not the ones in IWDification/SCS, then I just don't know anything about the file format and it's guesswork what the patch will do (and really people shouldn't be using it, so it would be better just to skip the patch). I'm actually slightly puzzled as to what the install structure is that leads to this bug - I assume some mod installs those MS spells, then after that IWDspells are installed?

11 minutes ago, Angel said:

If you like I can bundle all edits I have done so far in a pull request so you can see everything I did.

I mostly find pull requests an unhelpful way to receive bugfixes - I'd rather people just described them in forums. (But thanks anyway.)

22 hours ago, DavidW said:

My hesitancy is that if the MS spells are not the ones in IWDification/SCS, then I just don't know anything about the file format and it's guesswork what the patch will do (and really people shouldn't be using it, so it would be better just to skip the patch). I'm actually slightly puzzled as to what the install structure is that leads to this bug - I assume some mod installs those MS spells, then after that IWDspells are installed?

Yes.  An unreleased mod of mine restores Monster Summoning IV - VII from ids entries and 2da files found in oBG2.
I have been toying with borrowing IWDspells so that we all install the same versions, but I'd have to sit down for it.