[BGEE/SoD] More issues

1. In the description of Drow, there's a small text issue: "-- 2" reputation loss. The minus symbol should be next to the 2.
  2. A drow created in SoD starts off with 25 + 1 magic resistance, instead of the expected 25 + actual level (and in fact for some reason, the cloak of Balduran did not give her +25% MR, it stayed at 26). Leveling up adds 1 correctly, but of course it becomes 27, not the correct amount. There's also no reputation loss. In BGEE this applies correctly, and updates as expected, as well. EDIT: the reputation loss didn't happen in BGEE after a fresh install, maybe there's an issue there? She was neutral evil already, so I had a reputation of 9, and it was not decreased to 7.
  3. A drow created in BGEE has a biography that appropriately states that your mother was a dark elf Eilistraee follower. In SoD it only states that she was an elf from the high forest.
  4. this same drow created in SoD did not receive any prompt to introduce any of the feats per 3 levels. Leveling up can allow you to add 1, but obviously missing the previous ones
  5. A favored soul in SoD is considered a Shaman in the Strings. It also has the Shamanic Dance button available. Seems to be non-functional, but it should probably be disabled. I made a favored soul of Talona if that is relevant. None of these issues are present in BGEE.

As a tangential comment, wouldn't be more appropriate for drow elves to actually have a THAC0 bonus to crossbows, instead of bows? At least that seems to be the rule in the 3rd edition, I think. (Well technically hand crossbows, but I guess "crossbows" could be good enough).

Cheers.

WeiDU.log

1) fixed.

2) MR: fixed. Reputation: it decreases only if it starts at 10+ (and in fact through a script error only at 11+). This is now (locally) documented. (This is really for IWD: at reputation <8 paladins fall.) It also doesn't decrease in SoD, largely because I'm not familiar enough with it to do the scripting. (Since drow are officially unsupported in BG anyway, this isn't a priority to sort out.)

3) can't reproduce, might again be fixed in passing by other local changes.

4) Known issue, see the thread I've started elsewhere

5) Does it persist if you wait a second or two, change screens, etc? (Sometimes the shaman label can linger a bit.) I can't reproduce, but I haven't actually tried starting a SoD game to be fair.

Crossbows and drow: I take the point, but (a) it's a bit awkward in the absence of hand crossbows, and (b) AD&D 2nd edition keeps the bonus for bows.

9 minutes ago, DavidW said:

3) can't reproduce, might again be fixed in passing by other local changes.

The biography seems to become wrong when the game starts. In the character editor, it is fine.

9 minutes ago, DavidW said:

5) Does it persist if you wait a second or two, change screens, etc? (Sometimes the shaman label can linger a bit.) I can't reproduce, but I haven't actually tried starting a SoD game to be fair.

It does.

OK, if I start an SoD game, I can reproduce favored souls showing up as 'shaman' and getting shamanic dance, and the bug where pressing 'biography' takes you straight to the difficulty screen. I'm still getting the correct earth genasi bio.

I think I understand the general issue. Siege of Dragonspear uses its own bespoke version of 'clastext.2da' and I'm not updating it. That's a systematic issue, going some way beyond the specifics here (and possibly impacting EET too). 

Posted (edited)

Oh, okay. Glad you were able to identify the general issue.

So speaking about bugs, I guess I can report more bugs in BGEE:

- Mighty blows (the feat) doesn't seem to be doing anything (?). I created an Air Genasi in BGEE and added 90K experience. I selected mighty blows twice. No difference in damage, only STR modifier is applied. (Deadly Aim does work though)

- You can't go beyond 2 pips in any proficiency when starting SoD (I think perhaps this may happen in BG2EE). Considering that if you manually level up in BGEE, you can... there's an issue there, right?

Edited by RoyalProtector

I think Mighty Blows is working - if I edit the spell to do +100 damage rather than +1 damage it clearly shows up. However, there seems to be an engine bug that means that missile damage adjustments, but not melee damage adjustments, show up in the UI. I can't do much about that, unfortunately.

The proficiency problem in SoD is probably a special case of the general SoD problem; it works fine in BG2EE.

Posted (edited)

OK, I reinstalled with that file using the same components as before. Btw, the installation gave me a series of warning for namespace conflict, I'll attach the file. Since I was looking there, there was a file called "sphere_spells_missing", which contained the following:

CLERIC_GOODBERRY
CLERIC_RESIST_FIRE_AND_COLD
CLERIC_SYMBOL_OF_PAIN
CLERIC_SYMBOL_OF_HOPELESSNESS

Is that a problem?

I think dropping the attached file into dw_talents/sfo ought to solve most of the SoD-specific issues.

Biographies seem to be broken still when starting the game. But then again, I'm operating with a different version than you do.

The proficiencies issue with fighters seems to be fixed.

The Favored Soul issue (strings and button) is fixed too. EDIT: Small issue with Favored of Talona Cause Disease: it's necromancy but uses abjuration lights.

I think Mighty Blows is working - if I edit the spell to do +100 damage rather than +1 damage it clearly shows up. However, there seems to be an engine bug that means that missile damage adjustments, but not melee damage adjustments, show up in the UI. I can't do much about that, unfortunately.

A shame. I never noticed that bug, but perhaps it's because there's not much in the game that specifically increases only melee damage. But as long as it works and it's documented, it's fine I guess.

sfo_warnings.txt

Edited by RoyalProtector
On 1/2/2024 at 7:24 PM, DavidW said:

I think I understand the general issue. Siege of Dragonspear uses its own bespoke version of 'clastext.2da' and I'm not updating it. That's a systematic issue, going some way beyond the specifics here (and possibly impacting EET too). 

Can confirm: tested on EET with LeUI core component.

I noticed in-game (BG1 start) that some, but not all, class description strings had been updated by ToF.

I found three relevant .2da in that context: bgclatxt.2da, sodcltxt.2da, and clastext.2da. Adding some (hotfix) code to ensure the string references were updated across them corrected the issue.