Invalid:9999999 drops

I occasionally find these invalid items, mostly on drops, though I believe I have occasionally found them in containers.

In the particular case of the attached screenshot, given that it's one of Lehtinan's guards, they would usually have had something valueable in that spot, like a piece of jewellery or perhaps some gold.

My weidu.log is also attached, because I'm not certain that this is an SCS issue.

missing_icon.png

WeiDU.log

Edited by gatperdut

I suspect it's SCS, given your WEIDU.log, but I've very little idea what could be causing it.

Can you actually pick up the (invisible) item? If so, could you save the game, look at it in Near Infinity, and tell me the file name?

Posted (edited)

It was tricky, but yes: DWRNSCR4.

If I pick it up the item disappears from the quick-loot bar and takes up a slot in the inventory, but the hover tooltip displays the default "Personal Item" as if it was empty (this was tested with a single free inventory slot).

Something else I noticed is that, when picking a valid item with a full inventory which includes an invalid item, the click on the quick-loot drops the invalid item without picking up the valid one. After that, the quick-loot behaves normally. But I guess this is an engine quirk. 

When I find more invalid items I'll try to make a list of the filenames, since I'm not sure  DWRNSCR4 is the only one. 

Edited by gatperdut

By this stage, not really, except inasmuch as it probably means the random scroll component (which generates all these DWRNSCRx files) is probably the only culprit. Many thanks for confirming that; now I just need  to find time to work out what's wrong with it.

I'm struggling to reproduce this bug - it works fine on my install.

Do you still have the install where the bug occurred? If so, can you find the file 'rndtres.2da' in the override directory of the game and post it here?

Also, just opened the file, I guess it's a lookup table of sorts... the only potentially useful bit of info I could gather from it is that the final number of the items I posted above is never present in any of the "DWRNSCRX" present in the file. So there's 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, but not 4, 6, 7.

OK, something has made a horrendous mess of that file (and is causing your bug because, as you've noticed, the errant items aren't in the table).

Can you do me a WEIDU change-log on that file? Open a command window, navigate to your BG2EE folder, and then do

ren setup-stratagems.exe weidu.exe
weidu --change-log rndtres.2da

Yep, here is the output: 

[weidu] WeiDU version 24900
[.\chitin.key] 191 BIFFs, 62570 resources
[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] 107336 string entries
[stratagems/lang/english/setup.tra] has 262 translation strings

Mods affecting RNDTRES.2DA:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 3505 // Wider selection of random scrolls35.5
00001:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 4250 // Make spell sequencers and contingencies into innate abilities35.5
00002:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6100 // Potions for NPCs35.5