[b7] Revised Speciality Priests, NWNforBG2, and blocked chargen spell selection

Edit1: Ignore this post for now, I'm finding new data about it. Figured out the problem, read the next edit below the rest.

When starting the game, it throws this warning message:

[string "M_DW_SSD.lua"]:134: '}' expected to close '{' at line 15) near '!'

That brings me to the following line in m_dw_ssf.lua file (the only one with a ! exclamation sign):

NWU!SC03='SPWI315'

When creating a new mage, I can select the initial spells to learn, but the button to proceed to the next menu won't be highlighted nor usable.

A change-log indicates this is the only component to have touched that file.

Mods affecting M_DW_SSD.LUA:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~DW_TALENTS\DW_TALENTS.TP2~ 0 40650 // Revised speciality priests of Lathander/Helm/Talos/Tempus/TyrBeta 7

Edit 2: Ok, so the problem originates in NWNforBG2. @paladin84 For whatever reasons, that mod has a NWU!SC3.itm file, and while I can't say the nomenclature is kosher,  Revised Speciality Priests picks it up and references it in M_DW_SSD.lua.

If I understand correctly what's happening, the game uses M_DW_SSD.lua for the chargen spell selection menu, and seems to think that unexpected ! is opening or closing a block of code in the middle of the menu, leaving the rest hanging.

Edited by Connelly
Cleared
1 hour ago, Connelly said:

Ok, so the problem originates in NWNforBG2. @paladin84 For whatever reasons, that mod has a NWU!SC3.itm file, and while I can't say the nomenclature is kosher,  Revised Speciality Priests picks it up and references it in M_DW_SSD.lua.

If I understand correctly what's happening, the game uses M_DW_SSD.lua for the chargen spell selection menu, and seems to think that unexpected ! is opening or closing a block of code in the middle of the menu, leaving the rest hanging.

I though that using "!" in resource names is valid, am I wrong? For this particular item I replaced it with the existing game resource and remove it from NWNForBG, so it should not be a problem. Can you try with NWNForBG version from the "main" branch, please?

However, if using "!" is allowed in resource names (I didn't have any issue with it before), I would still try to investigate what ToF is doing wrong, because similar issue may arise with other mods.

20 hours ago, paladin84 said:

thought that using "!" in resource names is valid, am I wrong?

I distinctly recall discussion of this on the forums like… fifteen years ago. Maybe more. But I don’t recall the specific outcome. That said, I have a bunch of files in my current game with the “A!” prefix. I believe it belonged to Andyr from back when.