Of Orcs or balancing purpose between vanilla ORC03, ORC04 and SCS version

Hi David,

Orcs (priest and mage) have a very limited spell list in bg2, which makes them trivial. SCS changes that and gives them spells based on their level (12) for the better. That's what I thought before installing NTotSC...

This mod adds Orcs (priest and mage) to BG1. Normally, without SCS, the challenge is a bit higher than BG1 but not that much, especially at the end of BG1+ToSC. But with SCS these Orcs have become a real nightmare, mainly because of their access to lv6 spells like aerial servant (+128hp) or invisible stalkers (+64hp)...

these orcs aren't really Lv12 and have 9 spells of Lv4 or less for priests and 12 spells of Lv5 or less for mages; close to PnP... with the SCS update they became true lv12 caster with all the spells required from lv1 to lv6.

It could be sensible to soften them up a little bit by giving them access "only" to lv5 spells like in PnP.

Cheers

So ... which creatures have levels that are too high for their spellcasting power, and which creatures have spellcasting power that's too low for their level? SCS tends to lean on the side of making more challenge - which, for creatures normally encountered in ToB, is probably fair.

And really, NTotSC shouldn't have used ToB creatures unaltered for material in the BG1 campaign.

Edited by jmerry

I think this is on NTotSC. SCS works with what it's given, which in this case is a bunch of spellcasters who are flagged at 12th level. I can adjust for this kind of thing in the core game but I draw the line at handling every mod. If NTotSC doesn't want 12th level orc mages, it should use lower level ones.

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

I think this is on NTotSC

Yes, it could, but that was not really my point here... it was more about balancing SCS.

Like I try to say, Orcs in bg2 are by no mean lv12 spellcasters, they cast lv4 priest and lv5 mage spells and no lv6. SCS give them like 1 or 2 spell lv.

Of course there is no real harm done here as it is more challenging but for what it worth it is more challenging than for creatures that have dedicated components.