oBGT crash to desktop after character creation and other crashes, bugs and odd things

Hello,

The game is crashing when starting a new BG1 or BG2 game immediately after character creation.

ToB seems to start without a problem.

TobEx.log isn't showing anything and there are no warning messages or anything. I just create new character, click start game and it crashes.

ERRORLOG.TXT is showing the following;

BGMain caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module BGMain.exe at 0023:009ca8a8.

That's apparently the game trying to access memory it shouldnt be, according to a google search.

I had tested the install part way through and it seemed ok.

I'm going to uninstall mods one at a time and retest, just wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be causing it?

I've attached the weidu log, it goes on a bit.

Thanks

WeiDU.zip

Almost completed a new install and so far haven't been able to replicate the problem.

While trying to uninstall mods one at a time I ballsed it up and had to start from scratch.  Due to a dazzling display of ineptitude I accidentally uninstalled a BG2 Improved GUI that i didnt intend too.

bg2improvedgui:410;BG2 Improved GUI - Enemy + Ally/Summon/Charmed was installed near the middle of the install, just before the mainspell_rev component.

So that was 5 plus hours of uninstall and reinstall. SCS and mih_eq failed to reinstall. With BG2 Improved GUI and Tweaks and tricks uninstalled that did work.

Anyway, new install, tested at various points and no problems except the widescreen mod wont install.

Getting the following error;

ERROR: cannot convert guiw08_c_8-28_xPos or %guiw08_c_8-28_xPos% to an integer
ERROR: [guiw10.chu] -> [override/guiw10.chu] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

I ran changelog on guiw10.chu

Mods affecting GUIW10.CHU:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~1PP\1PP.TP2~ 0 104 // 1ppv4: GUI additions for BGIIv4.2.1
00001:  ~BG2IMPROVEDGUI\BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ 0 120 // Loot PanelCollect from all nearest bodies as one click action5.6

On my previous working install I used the alternative BG2IMPROVEDGU component BG2IMPROVEDGUI\BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ #0 #110 // Loot Panel -> Classic EE mode: 5.5

and didnt have any problems with the widescreen mod.

I'll test that now and see if ' BG2IMPROVEDGUI\BG2IMPROVEDGUI.TP2~ 0 120 // Loot PanelCollect from all nearest bodies as one click action5.6' is the one causing the problem.

Just re-installed loot panel and changed it to the classic ee mode and widescreen mod still fails with same error.

Anyone got any ideas whats gone wrong?

I've attached the file. Its viewable in NI but I'm not really sure what I'd be llooking for.

I also tried a little experiment, i deleted GUIW10.CHU from the override folder and then copied GUIW10.00001.CHU into the override folder and renamed it.

Widescreen mod then installed so I'm pretty sure this proves that either loot panel component is the source of the problem.
This wasnt happening with the previous version 5.5

@Insomniator have you got any idea what might have caused this?

Im going to continue with my install without widescreen for the time being, I've spent best part of 2 weeks trying to get this installed and working and really want to play the damn game.

Thanks

I've attached both versions of guiw10.chu

GUIW10 both files.zip

Sorry I can't be of help, but I just wanted to warn you that Insomniator has unfortunately not been around for well over six months. I'm praying for his return... 🙏

I am afraid I do not know about modding and issues with oBGT.

but I know that compatibility with old games had become a problem in win 11 as microsoft broke the compatibility layer. and it caused issues with planescape classic too.

do not know if it is relevant, but i hope this can help if it is.

On 5/19/2024 at 6:29 AM, Salk said:

Sorry I can't be of help, but I just wanted to warn you that Insomniator has unfortunately not been around for well over six months. I'm praying for his return... 🙏

No worries, and yeah would be good to see him back at some point. Thought I'd report the issue anyway, just in case.

8 hours ago, jacklhoward said:

do not know if it is relevant, but i hope this can help if it is.

Thanks but I'm still on Windows 10 so I don't think its something like that. Was probably  just a wonky install.

Had another crash to desktop.

During the expanded circus tent quest, in the new area(AR00TQ.ARE), Koozclown (TQCRE3.CRE) tries to cast a spell and then the game crashes with the following error;

ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x8BA209 File: ObjCreature.cpp Line: 12162 Expression: pCreature != NULL && creatureSize > 0 Message: (null)

I tracked it down to spider spawn SPWI423.SPL

Mods affecting SPWI423.SPL:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~BG2FIXPACK\SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ 0 0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixesv13
00001:  ~BG2FIXPACK\SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ 0 3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)v13
00002:  ~SETUP-VCV21.TP2~ 0 2 // Core Baldurdash Fixes (by Kevin Dorner)v2.1 BWP adaptation
00003:  ~SPELL_REV\SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 0 // Spell Revisionsv4 (Revised v1.3.959)
00004:  ~IWDIFICATION\SETUP-IWDIFICATION.TP2~ 0 30 // IWD Arcane Spell Packv5
00005:  ~JIMFIX\SETUP-JIMFIX.TP2~ 0 201 // Add spell school notifications to the combat logAll spells with a casting time greater than 1v3.1a
00006:  ~INFINITYSOUNDS\INFINITYSOUNDS.TP2~ 0 110 // Restore BG1 Spellcasting Soundsv2.0.1
00007: /* acted upon in an undefined manner */ ~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ 0 1 // Generalized BiffingBiff all files (recommended by the Big World Dudes)v2.7

It looks like Spell Revisions and then IWDIFICATION cause the problems.

I renamed the files in changelog and tried them in the override one at a time and the spell_rev version (00004) works but the spell description and icon are wrong and with 00005 if a player controlled character casts the spell a lizardman is summoned, if an enemy casts the spell the game crashes. Might be to do with the levels of the casters and what is trying to be summoned, I'll look into that a bit more later.

I'm using the BWP fixpack version of VCv21 (Vlad's compilation). Most of  the bdash fixpack stuff is commented out.

This is the bit that affects spider spawn if it helps at all. Though the spell works correctly after these changes (00003)

COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI423.spl~          ~override~    //Spider Spawn //           (LW: not in Fixpack)
 READ_LONG  0x64  "ability_offset"
 READ_SHORT 0x68  "abil_cnt"
 READ_LONG  0x6a "eff_offset"
 FOR( cnt=0; cnt<"%abil_cnt%"; cnt=cnt+1 ) BEGIN
   READ_BYTE ("%ability_offset%"+cnt*0x28)  "type"
   PATCH_IF("%type%"=1 ) BEGIN        //Melee
     READ_SHORT ("%ability_offset%"+0x28*cnt+0x1e)  eff_number
     READ_SHORT ("%ability_offset%"+0x28*cnt+0x20)  eff_idx
     FOR( cnt2=0; cnt2<eff_number; cnt2=cnt2+1 ) BEGIN
       WRITE_BYTE ("%eff_offset%"+0x30*(cnt2+eff_idx)+0xD)  0   //No dispell\Bypass resistance
     END
   END
 END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

No idea what thats doing but thought I'd put it there incase its changing the spell in an unexpected way causing the spell_rev and iwdification changes to cause the problem. If that makes sense.

Other odd things, loading a saved game causes a odd sound effect, sounds like a party memeber is injured and the log displays 'Keldorn damage taken 2'

I havent even got to him yet so not got a clue whats going on there or where to start looking into it. Its not causing an actual problem at the moment, just seems weird and quite amusing. Hopefully that all makes some kind of sense

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Thanks

SPWI423 changelog and versions.zip SPWI423 ingame version.zip

I have taken a look at you Weidu and it is Big, too big for sensible comment, only BWP dude might help you in this case...

for Widescreen mod:

On 5/18/2024 at 6:00 PM, Nathan82 said:

Just re-installed loot panel and changed it to the classic ee mode and widescreen mod still fails with same error.

The Readme said:

"Install after mods:

• TobEx
  • BG2 Fixpack
  • TobEx AfterLife
  • Widescreen mod
  • TutuGUI
  • BG2 GUI in 1280x720
  • 1pp
  • Infinity Animations
  • BGT (components: Legacy of Bhaal/Heart of Fury difficulty mode)"

So you should not install Widescreen mod after BG2 Improved GUI, but before.

10 minutes ago, TotoR said:

So you should not install Widescreen mod after BG2 Improved GUI, but before.

Thanks, thought I'd done something daft but hadn't realised it was that simple. I did look at the readme but clearly not close enough.

11 minutes ago, TotoR said:

I have taken a look at you Weidu and it is Big, too big for sensible comment, only BWP dude might help you in this case...

yeah i know, i know.

I'll try and thin it out more for the next attempt. It was even worse a few attempts back