Chaotic Commands and narrowed protections

Bursk

I haven't been around much recently so aren't up-to-speed on the latest developments in the community. I haven't tried DR v3, but did have a look at the readme and noticed this:

'Chaotic Commands protects against verbal command spells, narrowing its protections'

Might I ask the reason for doing this? Why would you want to make a spell less effective? Was it overpowered?

Two others, in fact; namely Iron Will and Impregnable Mind. This change, as well as the one to Cure Disease (it no longer cures blindness or deafness, and a Cure Blindness or Deafness spell has been introduced instead) are about more than just enforcing pnp rules too - I like to think they add deeper strategy when it comes to spell selection :).

BTW I'd love to hear back from people who've tried out the above altered & new spells, since for all I know right now none of them actually work :O.

Two others, in fact; namely Iron Will and Impregnable Mind.  This change, as well as the one to Cure Disease (it no longer cures blindness or deafness, and a Cure Blindness or Deafness spell has been introduced instead) are about more than just enforcing pnp rules too - I like to think they add deeper strategy when it comes to spell selection :).

BTW I'd love to hear back from people who've tried out the above altered & new spells, since for all I know right now none of them actually work :O.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the pnp spells. Am I right in thinking that you now have to cast two spells instead of one to achieve the same effect as one old spell i.e. the unaltered Chaotic Commands?

First, ignore the part about Iron Will, dunno what I was smoking there but it doesn't exist :). Maybe I was daydreaming about Ultima Underworld (since IIRC that had an Iron Will spell) or something :O.

Anyway, to respond to your question, not exactly; the revised Chaotic Commands actually protects against a couple of spells which the original didn't, namely Command and Greater Command, and Impregnable Mind protects against a few innate abilities which the original Chaotic Command didn't either.. Impervious Sanctity of Mind, which is 7th level, protects against all the spells Chaotic Commands did plus quite a few others.

First, ignore the part about Iron Will, dunno what I was smoking there but it doesn't exist :).  Maybe I was daydreaming about Ultima Underworld (since IIRC that had an Iron Will spell) or something :O.

Tower of Iron Will is a psionic in DnD which, IIRC, does the same thing as Impregnable Mind does... So you weren't far off, just lost in Athas or some other psionic-rich world...

First, ignore the part about Iron Will, dunno what I was smoking there but it doesn't exist :O.  Maybe I was daydreaming about Ultima Underworld (since IIRC that had an Iron Will spell) or something :O.

Anyway, to respond to your question, not exactly; the revised Chaotic Commands actually protects against a couple of spells which the original didn't, namely Command and Greater Command, and Impregnable Mind protects against a few innate abilities which the original Chaotic Command didn't either..  Impervious Sanctity of Mind, which is 7th level, protects against all the spells Chaotic Commands did plus quite a few others.

Neato. I was sure there was some logic to what you'd done. :)

Sounds like a very positive change. :)

Archived