SetPlayerSound()

Domi

Hi guys, I am trying to add the "voice fixer" for BG1 characters, and run into the parse errors.

If I try to add it to a dialogue string, like this:

APPEND ~_VICONJ~

IF ~IsGabber(Player1)

~ THEN BEGIN VICH

SAY ~Blah-blah~

++ ~Viconia, you sound... strange.~ + ViconiaVoice

END

IF ~~ ViconiaVoice

SAY ~*coughs*~

IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetName(~Viconia~)

SetPlayerSound(Myself,~Help me! If you don't help me, they'll kill me.~ [VICONIA1],INITIAL_MEETING)

etc...

it chokes on ~Viconia~

If I try to compile it as a script, like this:

IF

Global("P#SetViconiaVoice","GLOBAL",1)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("P#SetViconiaVoice","GLOBAL",2)

SetName(~Viconia~)

SetPlayerSound(Myself,~Help me! If you don't help me, they'll kill me.~ [VICONIA1],INITIAL_MEETING)

SetPlayerSound(Myself,~We must run!~ [VICONIA 2],MORALE)

etc

it chokes on the space in the name of the soundfile, ie it will compile over [VICONIA1] but gives a parse error for [VICONIA 1]

So, what is the best way to fight the system? I assume that I can do the COPY_EXISTING and give all the WAVs new file names. If that's the only way to go, could anyone figure out a 'convert all wavs with the space into wavs w/o a space' line for TP2?

Or (crosses her fingers) can you think of something less labour intensive? Thank you in advance!

Sigh. Double sigh. Triple sigh. (This is only because you're somebody who knows what they're doing.)

SetPlayerSound(Myself,%We must run!%[12345678],MORALE) -OR-

SetPlayerSound(Myself,@123,MORALE)

You cannot use string delimiters that are the same as value delimiters. DO ~RunString(~MyString~)~ will obviously fail. Additionally, you should not use the double quote (") as the WeiDU string delimiter in BAF files (either actual scripts, or the BAF portions of a D file), since " is valid for BAF syntax.

The sound reference is a resource reference, and cannot have more than 8 characters or contain spaces.

APPEND ~_VICONJ~

IF ~IsGabber(Player1)~ THEN BEGIN VICH
SAY ~Blah-blah~
++ ~Viconia, you sound... strange.~ + ViconiaVoice
END

IF ~~ ViconiaVoice
SAY ~*coughs*~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetName(%Viconia%)
SetPlayerSound(Myself,%Help me! If you don't help me, they'll kill me. There's only of *them*, but *they'll* still kill me. *They're* everywhere!% [VICONIA1],INITIAL_MEETING)

IF
Global("P#SetViconiaVoice","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("P#SetViconiaVoice","GLOBAL",2)
SetName(~Viconia~)
SetPlayerSound(Myself,~Help me! If you don't help me, they'll kill me. Here *they* come!~ [VICONIA1],INITIAL_MEETING)
SetPlayerSound(Myself,~We must run!~ [VICONIA2],MORALE)
ApplySpellRES("RunRun",Myself)
GetTheHellOutOfDodge()

You could probably make TP2 code to COPY ~mystuff/wav~ ~mystuff/wavsthatwork~ and fix the spaces, but it'd require more than 2 seconds of thought from myself, and I've hit my quota for the day, sorry.

Sigh. Double sigh. Triple sigh. (This is only because you're somebody who knows what they're doing.)

It's flattering, but undeserved. Basically all I have done in modding is processed incredible number of simple D&BAFs. Anything out of the ordinary is when I go for a tutorial. And that's the syntaxis the tutorial had.

I have a sinking feeling that it won't TRA'fy over the file that does not compile. On the uttermost end of need I will try to TRA'fy *without* the voiced lines, and then paste them on separately onto the TRA. It will probably be easier in the end than renaming all 1150 character sound wavs.

Well, I am keeping my fingers crossed and thank you for the explanation.

I was able to compile after using % and replacing the wav names with the "dummy' names. I'm waiting to hear back from TUTU guys if the WAVCs in one of the BIFFs that are transfered already to the proper resource format file name are valid. If not, I will be doing the WAV re-naming exercise. Thank you again for your help. :down:

Archived