Music fails to install

Luiz

Due to a combination of fast eyes and a slow computer I noticed "Bad command or filename / Invalid directory" errors popping up in the DOS window when it came to the sound installation/conversion part of installing Amber (v1.1 BTW).

Editing AmberUnpack.bat to remove "@echo off" and adding in judicious "pause" commands to see where things were going wrong, it appeared my DOS version got confuzzled by the syntax of lines 3-6.

Here's the top of the original AmberUnpack.bat:

@echo off
md Music\mxm#am
copy Amber\Music\*.ogg Music\mxm#am\
copy Amber\Music\snd2acm.exe Music\mxm#am\ 
copy Amber\sounds\oggdec.exe Music\mxm#am\
cd Music\mxm#am\
oggdec mxm#*.ogg

The extra backslashes at the ends of lines 3-6 prevented the original music files being copied over in the Amber's new music subfolder. I changed it thusly:

@echo off
md Music\mxm#am
copy Amber\Music\*.ogg Music\mxm#am
copy Amber\Music\snd2acm.exe Music\mxm#am
copy Amber\sounds\oggdec.exe Music\mxm#am
cd Music\mxm#am
oggdec mxm#*.ogg

... and it worked perfectly. I don't know whether this is just because my DOS is weird (running an old Toshiba laptop) or whether this might affect everyone -- it's a hard problem to spot as the error messages in the DOS window scroll past so fast.

So this might just be me, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention. :)

EDIT: I can't spell "convertion" properly. :D

Due to a combination of fast eyes and a slow computer I noticed "Bad command or filename / Invalid directory" errors popping up in the DOS window when it came to the sound installation/conversion part of installing Amber (v1.1 BTW).

Editing AmberUnpack.bat to remove "@echo off" and adding in judicious "pause" commands to see where things were going wrong, it appeared my DOS version got confuzzled by the syntax of lines 3-6.

Here's the top of the original AmberUnpack.bat:

@echo off
md Music\mxm#am
cd Music\mxm#am\
oggdec mxm#*.ogg

The extra backslashes at the ends of lines 3-6 prevented the original music files being copied over in the Amber's new music subfolder. I changed it thusly:

@echo off
md Music\mxm#am
cd Music\mxm#am
oggdec mxm#*.ogg

... and it worked perfectly. I don't know whether this is just because my DOS is weird (running an old Toshiba laptop) or whether this might affect everyone -- it's a hard problem to spot as the error messages in the DOS window scroll past so fast.

So this might just be me, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.  :)

EDIT: I can't spell "convertion" properly.  :D

Er... I know about DOS approximately a much as of nuclear physics, but in theory, wouldn't leaving out the backslashes mean that I want to copy my music files as a single file rather than into a folder? Anyhow, in my computer the music installs without errors and at least Bons has said something about the music, so I assume it worked out for at least on other person too. I'll keep my ears open for other error reports, though. In addition, I'll do some testing with and without those backslashes. :D

Okay, for me the having or not having the end of the line backslashes seem to make no difference at first glance. So I suppose I can safely remove them from the next version.

Of course if someone more familiar with all that DOS stuff likes to say yea or nay, it would be great. :)

No music for me, either.

The rest works just fine... great mod!

Can you confirm that you actually don't have mxm#am folder and/or any acm files in it? When Amber is installed you should be able to find mxm#am folder in the music folder in your main BG2 folder. I'm just checking that your lack of music isn't due to something else. :)

BTW, what version(s) Windows are you guys running?

Hi,

okay...the mxm#am folder is there, but it has nothing in it.

I'm still running WindowsME.

Hmm... I'm going to take a leap here and assume that in Win -95, -98 and ME Amber's music won't install. Apparently missing music does not make the game crash like it would if we had a missing ambient sound. It's ironic that when we started to develop Amber we were still running Win -98 and -95; if we still would this problem would probably have come up earlier. :)

I can't listen to her music too. When the mod is installing I receive some error messages. I'm spanish and I don't know how to write them correctly, but the fact is that I don'r have any .acm files in the amber music folder. How can I fix it?

This problem (that seems to affect Windows versions based on DOS architecture, i.e. 95, 98 and ME) will be corrected in version 2, but for now you can fix it yourself. If you get error messages during the extraction of music files (towards the end of the installation process, after the WeiDU installation proper) and do not have any .acm files in the Music\mxm#am folder after installing Amber, do the following:

1. Uninstall Amber by running the Setup-Amber.exe and selecting ninstall. (You may get some error messages during uninstall due to the missing .acm files, but the uninstall should complete anyway.)

2. Open the AmberUnpack.bat file (found in the amber folder located in your main BG2 folder) in a text editor (Notepad will do fine).

3. Change the following lines:

cd Music\mxm#am\

so that they read:

cd Music\mxm#am

(i.e. remove the extra backslashes at the end of the four lines).

4. Save the file.

5. Install Amber again; the installation process should now complete succesfully with no error messages and the .acm files should now be found in the Music\mxm#am folder.

EDIT: typo

Archived