Freeze when Loading!

Guest Monkey Fighter

Guest Monkey Fighter

know this topic has come up before and I have read it carefully and still can’t solve the problem. This happens when I use the map that supposes to lead me into the next area. I have tried uninstall and reinstalling the mod three or four times. After that I uninstall and reinstall the whole game but it would still not work for me as in it still freezes every time it gets to the loading screen. Is there a way that I can just change the Global Variables and just skip that part and move on with the story?

First, let's check that your download is complete. The size of the Amber-v11.zip should be 30 852 kb. In case you don't have the zip anymore, the size of amber folder (when Amber is not installed) is 32,6 MB (34 255 313 bytes).

You might also check that (when amber is installed) m#ar01.are, m#ar02.are, m#ar03.are, m#ar04.are, m#ar05.are, m#ar01.are are present in the override. In addition to .are file there should be .mos .tis and .wed files complete with three .bmp files for each of the six areas.

I'd also like to see the setup-amber.debug file, which should be in your main BG2 folder. You can send it to <amber@mbnet.fi>.

If everything seems to be in order and the areas still don't load correctly, you'll have to take the save after the talk about Imoen (or class specific talk in P2 romance), before the slavers appear. Then set Global("M#AmberKidnap","GLOBAL",9). You might have set the M#AmberRomance GLOBAL timer too. Of course things she says might seem a bit out of context if you manually skip the quest.

Is it by any chance a night when you try to travel to the new areas? The outside area should have a working night-time map and I do think that I've even tested it, but I'm having a moment of doubt...

Guest Monkey Fighter

Thx for replying so quickly. I have check all the files that you have talked about. Both file size are the same and all the files in the overwrite folder are also there. I have always use the map during the night time in the game and so i tryed during the day. However i still keep on getting the same result. I am guessing that is not the problem. I have send you the SETUP-AMBER.DEBUG file. Thx again foryour help.

P.S. The mod is great !!!!

First, let's check that your download is complete. The size of the Amber-v11.zip should be 30 852 kb. In case you don't have the zip anymore, the size of amber folder (when Amber is not installed) is 32,6 MB (34 255 313 bytes).

You might also check that (when amber is installed) m#ar01.are, m#ar02.are, m#ar03.are, m#ar04.are, m#ar05.are, m#ar01.are are present in the override. In addition to .are file there should be .mos .tis and .wed files complete with three .bmp files for each of the six areas.

I'd also like to see the setup-amber.debug file, which should be in your main BG2 folder. You can send it to <amber@mbnet.fi>.

If everything seems to be in order and the areas still don't load correctly, you'll have to take the save after the talk about Imoen (or class specific talk in P2 romance), before the slavers appear. Then set Global("M#AmberKidnap","GLOBAL",9). You might have set the M#AmberRomance GLOBAL timer too. Of course things she says might seem a bit out of context if you manually skip the quest.

I am having the same issue - I too have all those files in my over-ride and have just sent you the amber.debug file

Thanks for the debugfile Monkey Fighter, though it revealed nothing out of the ordinary. The mod seems to have installed perfectly.

Can I have a copy of savegames from both of you, preferably just before you tried using the map? I'd also like to have a copy your WeidU.log files and please mention if you have any non-weidu mods installed.

Do you guys remember which download link you used? Just in case there's a corrupted download somewhere. Though the fact that the game freezes instead of crashing to desk top doesn't point to a corrupted file (in my limited experience, that is). In fact I'm not sure what could result the game to freeze. I have whole lot of experience of things that could cause the game crash to desktop when areas are concerned... :)

And just to clear out even the non-likely causes: which version of the BG2 and ToB you have, and do you have the official patch installed?

Thanks for the debugfile Monkey Fighter, though it revealed nothing out of the ordinary. The mod seems to have installed perfectly.

Can I have a copy of savegames from both of you, preferably just before you tried using the map? I'd also like to have a copy your WeidU.log files and please mention if you have any non-weidu mods installed.

Do you guys remember which download link you used? Just in case there's a corrupted download somewhere. Though the fact that the game freezes instead of crashing to desk top doesn't point to a corrupted file (in my limited experience, that is). In fact I'm not sure what could result the game to freeze. I have whole lot of experience of things that could cause the game crash to desktop when areas are concerned... :)

And just to clear out even the non-likely causes: which version of the BG2 and ToB you have, and do you have the official patch installed?

Ooops forgot to actually send that email with the debug script earlier... :)

Just sent it and another one with the save game you requested.

My game version is 2.5.26498 - full install BG2/ToB with the official TOB patch. I don't think I have any non-weidu mods installed.

I have Amber, Auren, Tsujatha, Keto, Kivan, Kelsey, Yasreana, Sarileth, Solafien Kitanya and possibly Fade, and Valen NPC mods.

also the BTL mod

and some of the EoU components:

all the romance components except any answer is OK

Bottomless bags and infinite stacking

faster chap 1 & 2 cut scenes

invisible cloak of mirroring

bonus merchants

no drow avatars in UD

Imoen ToB dialoge fix

female edwina?

IIRC I also have the Balderdash fixpack (ToB) and the text fixes as well.

How do I get to/make a copy of the weidu log?

It just occured to me that moving to the new area is handled by a short cutscene. Since I've sometimes seen the game 'freeze' when cutscene mode refuses to end I was thinking that maybe there's something unstable with that little piece of script.

If either of you have CLUAConsole enabled. Could you try the following:

(Select the whole party first.)

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("m#ar01")

You should be able to find a file called WeiDU.log in your main BG2 folder. You can open it in a regular text editor if you want to view it's contents. Weidu.log is a record of WeiDU mods and their components you currently have installed.

It just occured to me that moving to the new area is handled by a short cutscene. Since I've sometimes seen the game 'freeze' when cutscene mode refuses to end I was thinking that maybe there's something unstable with that little piece of script.

If either of you have CLUAConsole enabled. Could you try the following:

(Select the whole party first.)

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("m#ar01")

You should be able to find a file called WeiDU.log in your main BG2 folder. You can open it in a regular text editor if you want to view it's contents. Weidu.log is a record of WeiDU mods and their components you currently have installed.

I wonder if the EoU "shorter cut scenes in chap 1 &2" is effecting this? I think I may have the console enabled and will give that a try.

Found the log and sent it to you.

I tried the console and it did not work either - had the same effect once I got the syntax right and it actually tried to load the area - windows "chime" or maybe its the "level up sound" and frozen screen in the loading interface with the cursor going to "busy" (hourglass).

Will try removing "shorter cut scenes" and see what happens.

Nope removing shorter cut scenes did not work but I don't know if thats becuase I would have to start a new game before the uninstall took effect??

Will try removing "shorter cut scenes" and see what happens.

it's not caused by 'shorter cutscenes'.

try searching yr BG2 folder for the files m#ar01.are and m#ar01.tis. first: is there a copy of each in yr override folder? if not: then for some reason the area file from amber hasn't installed in yr game.

if there is a copy of each file in yr overide folder, search the rest of yr BG2 folder: are there copies of these files in backup folders anywhere?

if yes, then for some reason the file has been altered by another mod: during a reinstall would be my guess. try copying the file(s) from their backup to the override folder (backing up the versions already there first), clearing yr cache and temp folder, and try to enter the area again.

if it still crashes and you've tested this with all backed up versions of m#ar01.are and m#ar01.tis you can find, or if there are no backups of these two files - then the files themselves are broken (or possibly a creature called by the .are file is broken, but this is unlikely: you haven't got any mods installed that would alter animations or hex-patch the .cre file).

Why would another mod edit an area added by my mod? Amber is fairly new mod after all, I don't think that new versions of the mods wanderon has have been released lately. Unless the other mod in question does a some sort of blanket sweep for all areas already in the game. However it does not look like it when you take a look in wanderon's weidu.log (I hope you don't mind me posting it here.)

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name

~KELSEY.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kelsey v2.1: for BG2 - SoA

~SETUP-KELSEYTOB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kelsey: ToB - Version 2

~SETUP-KELSEYTOB.TP2~ #0 #5 // Alternate Kelsey portrait set #2 by Karse Soze (hooded Kelsey) (set 3 of 3)?

~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.4

~SETUP-SOLAUFEIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Solaufein Romance for Baldur's Gate II (SoA & ToB)

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #11 // Allow Multi-Player Created NPCs to "Wait Here" When Kicked Out

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #12 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring and Spell-Trap Animation

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Unlimited Bag of Holding (Blucher)

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #15 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #17 // No Drow Avatars On Party In Underdark

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #20 // Female Edwina

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #22 // Romance: PC can romance one NPC (regardless of race/gender).

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #23 // Romance: PC can romance multiple NPCs concurrently, but must say the right things.

~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kivan of Shilmista

~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #2 // Select Deheriana's Class -> Wild Mage

~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #5 // Select Kivan's Portrait -> Do Not Install Alternative Portrait for Kivan.

~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #7 // Install ToB Portion of the Mod

~SETUP-KETO.TP2~ #0 #0 // Keto-SOA NPC V2

~SETUP-KETO.TP2~ #0 #1 // Keto/Kelsey Interaction (Requires Kelsey-SOA)

~SETUP-TSUJATHA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tsujatha v9 (BG2:SoA NPC) created by Sillara of the Tamari

~SETUP-SAERILETH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Saerileth Romance Mod v10 (BG2:SoA & TOB NPC) created by nethrin and Sillara

~KELSEY.TP2~ #0 #1 // Kelsey/Solaufein Content: Banter and Romance Conflict OPTIONAL, RECOMMENDED ONLY for use with Solaufein V60 AND ABOVE

~KELSEY.TP2~ #0 #2 // Install Alternate Kelsey portrait set #1 by Karse Soze (regular Kelsey)?

~SETUP-BTL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Beyond the Law - Kova & Kiyone

~SETUP-BTL.TP2~ #0 #3 // Portraits for Minor Non-Joinable BTL NPCs

~SETUP-YASRAENA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Yasraena v7 (BG2:SoA & TOB NPC) created by nethrin & Sillara of the Tamari

~AURENASEPH/SETUP-AURENASEPH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Auren Aseph V3 for BG2:SoA

~AURENASEPH/SETUP-AURENASEPH.TP2~ #0 #1 // Alternate Portrait for Auren?

~SETUP-AMBER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Amber the NPC MOD for BGII:SoA

~SETUP-AMBER.TP2~ #0 #1 // multiplayer-friendly flirting for Amber

~KITANYA/SETUP-KITANYA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kitanya Conversation/Romance Mod for BG2

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinite Weapon, Potion and Ring/Amulet Stacking

~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Faster Chapter 1&2 Cut-Scenes and Dreams (Karzak, Blucher) (SEE WARNINGS)

Wanderon, you might still want to search for m#ar01* files from other mods backup folders, just in case. Easiest way to do this is to right-click you bg2 folder in window explorer and select 'Search...' from the list. Then type m#ar01* to the field and click the search button. If the results show m#ar01 files present in any other folders than the override and amber we have a suspect.

I'd like to have a copy of the m#ar01.are from your override to see if it's corrupted. I'll examine your savegame shortly.

I think it would also be helpfull if you tried the MoveToArea("") for m#ar02, m#ar03, m#ar04, m#ar05 or m#ar06. So that I know if this a problem affeting all my areas or just the first one.

(The reason I asked for the what Baldur's Gate version you have is because I use the original game ambient sounds for my areas and I was wondering if an edition of BG2 might be 'lighter' meaning that there would be sound less sound files. In my experience missing ambient crashes your game and not freezes it, though. And I don't think that Amber would have been even installed because I'm copying the ambits I use from biffs to the override during the install process.)

Wanderon, did you check your override for m#ar01.are, .tis, .wed and three .bmp files? Especially the m#ar01.tis is important because m#ar01.tiz pack gets unpacked after the actual WeiDU process, prompted by a separate bat file.

In short, when you installed Amber did you press enter after the install was complete? Pressing enter button should have been followed by an unpacking of sounds and area graphics process, taking couple minutes to get completed. If you just closed the window the unpacking process would have been skipped.

Not to pile up things for you to do or anything...

Just like enabling the CLUAConsole, you can turn the logging on by adding Logging On=1 to baldur.ini, like this:

[program options]

Logging On=1

Debug Mode=1

When the game crashes / freezes an error log is created to baldur.err (that's in your main BG2 folder) and it can help to determine what is missing / broken.

I tested this with the unpacked .tiz file theory (see above) and it indeed causes the game to freeze on the load screen like you described.

Archived