Dialogue Loop at Cromwells?

Guest guest

Firstly, like many other people, congratulations on making a really enjoyable mod! So far I've found Amber a very detailed NPC who is definately worthy of a place in the chosen 6. Thanks for all your work :(

However, I seem to have encountered a small problem when trying to visit Cromwell. When I have him check through my belongings for potential item creation, I get stuck in a loop involving Amber's bracelet. The stone inset, plus the Blade of Roses which I have in my possession, makes my character have the option of trying to force Amber to agree to part with her bracelet or to let Amber keep it.

Obviously choosing the first option resuslts in Amber basically telling <Charname> to "pee off" so I chose the second option, yet it just results in Cromwell resuming his search and again, to see the bracelet. It's most probably due to lack of treasures in my travels so far ;) but quite annoying...since I'm stuck in this dialogue loop. It's not a huge problem, since I can quit, reload and just drop the sword when talking to Cromwell, but I'm guessing this loop isn't supposed to happen?

Hope that made sense and thanks in advance!

Ok, ok me again!

When I tried to drop the blade and talk to Crommy, he STILL makes reference to the sword saying I should try to get it, blah blah, and the loop still continues...

So perhaps this is a problem now :(

I had this issue reported once during beta testing, but I never managed to root out the source of this problem. As far as I know Cromwell has worked flawlessly for everyone else.

Can you post a copy of your WeiDU.log file (found in main bg2 folder) and Cromwell's current dialogue file (wsmith01.dlg, that's found in the 'override' folder which in turn is in the main bg2 folder). You can send both flies to amber@welho.net :(

Okay, I got the files and it looks like that you have a mod installed that modifies (or breaks, depending on you viewpoint) the infamous state 13 of Cromwell's dialogue the same way old versions (v32 and older) of Item Upgrade do. In other words Amber is not compatible with one of the mods you have installed before her.

Since the current version of Amber (v1.1) detects the Item Upgrade and ensures compatibility and according to your weidu.log you don't have IU installed, it must some other mod than IU that Amber is incompatible with.

Before I go raiding the mods that I'm unfamiliar with from you weidu.log do you recall if you have any non-weidu mods installed?

Well I checked what I've got installed and the read-me's all say they are weidu... :(

Yeah, sorry about that; we thought we had found the problem, but it turns out that instead of decompiling the wsmith01.dlg file that you sent us, WeiDU decompiled the corresponding file from our game install. (I knew tht WeiDU uses the dialog.tlk of the current game install for decompiling dlgs, but I did not know that it also looks for the file itself in the game, and if it is found, uses that instead of the one in the current directory. You always learn something new.) And of course, we happened to have the Item Upgrade installed for testing purposes...

So, in order to take a look at _your_ .dlg file in .d format, we actually need you to decompile the wsmith01.dlg for us and send the resulting wsmith01.d file. Fortunately, this is very simple. All you need to do is to open a command prompt to any folder where you have the WeiDU.exe, and type the following command:

weidu wsmith01.dlg

WeiDU will automatically look the file up from your game and create a wsmith01.d file into the folder you typed the command in. If you have not downloaded WeiDU separately, the simplest solution is just to make a copy of Amber-Setup.exe (or the setup file of any WeiDU mod, really), rename it to WeiDU.exe, and type the above command in a command prompt in your BG2 folder.

Sorry once again for the confusion, it was all my fault. I hope the above is somehow understandable; if not, feel free to ask for clarification.

Actually, couldn't you just use DLTCEP or NI to decompile the .dlg file? Would stop the whole resending/decompiling by user business.

DLTCEP actually does nothing but acts as a GUI frontend for Weidu in this matter, and I could't even find the dialogue decompiler in NI.

But there is actually no need for them; it was merely a question of using --nogame with WeiDU (and --tlkin to get proper strings for the original Cromwell lines, helping to tell apart the ones added by mods). Just needed to go through the WeiDU readme and brush up on my WeiDU skills...

EDIT: Although it would still be helpful to have the .d file decompiled with -guest-'s dialog.tlk, because that would give us clues on what other mods are adding to Cromwell's dialog; the .dlg file seems to be about 1,5 times as large as ours.

But we are working on figuring this out...

Ok, ok me again!

When I tried to drop the blade and talk to Crommy, he STILL makes reference to the sword saying I should try to get it, blah blah, and the loop still continues...

So perhaps this is a problem now :(

As the result of a meticulous comparison of your wsmith01.dlg with ours (which is the result of only Amber installed on top of a clean install of BG2:ToB and relevant patches), we found out that somehow you seem to have managed to install Amber twice on top of herself. ;)

As a consequence, the changes that Amber makes into Cromwell's dialog have been applied twice, the second round including the changes made by the first round cumulatively. Due to this and the fact that IE reads IF THEN clauses in a dialog state from bottom up, Cromwell's dialog ends up on the track created by the second install, which includes parts of itself inherited from the first install and therefore results in a loop. (That probably didn't make much sense, but I don't think I can really explain it any better. :p)

The bad news is, that we really cannot think of any easy way to rectify this. The only surefire way to get rid of the problem would be to start from a clean install and install all the mods again in the same order. And even then it is not guaranteed that your old saves will be usable with the new game (the stringrefs might be messed up). It may well be that Cromwell is the only part of the game that is affected in a way that results in random funkiness, but my gut feeling is that you may run into totally unpredictable behaviour also further down the line, since everything that has been appended, extended or otherwise dynamically modified in the game by Amber has been altered twice (recursively). The other option is just to hope that nothing else has been affected in a critical way and keep going, dropping Amber out of the party whenever you visit Cromwell...

This is how it would seem based on looking at that one dialog, but as to what has actually happened to get it to the state it is now, we have no idea. (One possible culprit might be the Reinstall function of WeiDU, which can apparently be somewhat flaky sometimes.) You wouldn't have happened to use that particular function of WeiDU?

How weird, I've no idea how I managed to install her twice....I don't remember using the re-install although I guess I could have for some reason.

Oh well, luckily I've got a clean backup and after reading about the multiplayer option I may give that a go with Amber this time round. Crossing fingers for no accidental double installs this time round :(

Thanks for all your help!

How weird, I've no idea how I managed to install her twice....I don't remember using the re-install although I guess I could have for some reason.

Oh well, luckily I've got a clean backup and after reading about the multiplayer option I may give that a go with Amber this time round. Crossing fingers for no accidental double installs this time round :(

Thanks for all your help!

If you can muster the patience to wait for a day or two for us to get version 2 of Amber out, it would be worth your while; it fixes some annoying little bugs that were still left in the Player 2 romance (mostly stuff accidentally carried over from the P1 romance) and even contains some improvements and extended content.

It should be out in a day or two.

Archived