Game crashes when loading new amber area (possible spoiler!)

SkyWolf

Getting the whatever error or other informative text is displayed when the .bat gets to the unpacking of the .tiz files would be great help. :blush:

OK, I unstalled amber and installed using both the command prompt and the "pause" inserted in the amberunpack.bat file. Amber's voice & music files install ok and then at the end of the installation the "pause" command netted the following errors:

oggdec is not recognized as and external or internal command

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\m#*.ogg

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\oggdec.exe

tisunpack is not recognized as and external or internal command

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\m#ar*.tiz

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\tisunpack.exe

----------------------end of file----------------------------

If I understand this correctly, the routine is looking for both oggdec.exe and tisunpack.exe to be in the override directory and not finding them, yes? is possible to copy them (and the files they're looking for) into the override without screwing up the install?

Thanks for sticking with this, I appreciate the effort.

SkyWolf :hm:

Can I then have a copy of setup-amber.debug from you main bg2 folder? You can send it to <amber@welho.net>. The files (tilesets, voice clips and the two decoding programs) that the .bat can't find are copied to the override during weidu installation and if they have not (like the error seems to suggest) that will show up in the debugfile that weidu creates.

Are you sure, by the way, that the voicing is audible in the game? Before the .bat starts to look for .ogg files and oggdec.exe in the override Amber's music files are added to the music folder and that process also uses oggdec. However all unpacking of the voicing happens in the override, and that's where the .bat seems to choke up now.

Getting the whatever error or other informative text is displayed when the .bat gets to the unpacking of the .tiz files would be great help. :blush:

OK, I unstalled amber and installed using both the command prompt and the "pause" inserted in the amberunpack.bat file. Amber's voice & music files install ok and then at the end of the installation the "pause" command netted the following errors:

oggdec is not recognized as and external or internal command

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\m#*.ogg

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\oggdec.exe

tisunpack is not recognized as and external or internal command

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\m#ar*.tiz

could not find g:\bgII-soa\override\tisunpack.exe

----------------------end of file----------------------------

If I understand this correctly, the routine is looking for both oggdec.exe and tisunpack.exe to be in the override directory and not finding them, yes? is possible to copy them (and the files they're looking for) into the override without screwing up the install?

Thanks for sticking with this, I appreciate the effort.

SkyWolf :hm:

Can I then have a copy of setup-amber.debug from you main bg2 folder? You can send it to <amber@mbnet.fi>. The files (tilesets, voice clips and the two decoding programs) that the .bat can't find are copied to the override during weidu installation and if they have not (like the error seems to suggest) that will show up in the debugfile that weidu creates.

Are you sure, by the way, that the voicing is audible in the game? Before the .bat starts to look for .ogg files and oggdec.exe in the override Amber's music files are added to the music folder and that process also uses oggdec. However all unpacking of the voicing happens in the override, and that's where the .bat seems to choke up now.

Amber has a voice in the game aftering running amberunpack from the main bgII-soa directory, confirmed. The music too..

I don't see any setup.amber.debug in the bgII-soa directory. I'll send setup-amber but I suspect that's not what we're talking about.

The errors I listed above were in the command prompt window after installation but don't appear to have been writen to a debug file in the directory.

I tried copying the tisunpack and oggdec to the override directory and then running amberunpack from the main bgII-soa directory and the area files installed and I was able to use the scroll without crashing the game. It's buggy though, lorraine's son didn't spawn one try and amber didn't spawn after lorraine went to the trigger location on the next try.

I wonder if oggdec and tisunpack are being deleted from the override by setup bat (before it has time to use them)?

Thanks!

I don't see any setup.amber.debug in the bgII-soa directory. I'll send setup-amber but I suspect that's not what we're talking about.

There should be both a setup-Amber.tp2 and a setup-Amber.debug in the BGII - SoA directory. They both look the same, so check if you have two "setup-Amber" files there.

It's buggy though, lorraine's son didn't spawn one try and amber didn't spawn after lorraine went to the trigger location on the next try.

That is very strange, since we haven't had any reports of similar behaviour from either our testers during beta or from other players. Neither have we experienced this ourselves.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

When you say Lorraine's son didn't spawn, do you mean that Lorraine still used the machine in the laboratory, but nothing happened? Or Lorraine didn't do anything after the battle with Ymmyrt? What did she say after you killed Ymmyrt?

And in the next case, what trigger location do you speak of? Where exactly did Amber not spawn?

The sequence in Ymmyrt's laboratory has been quite extensively tested and we haven't really heard any bug reports about it for a long time, which is why this got me a bit worried. If there really are bugs present, they may well have something to do with something not installing quite right with your system...

Very strange, overall.

I wonder if oggdec and tisunpack are being deleted from the override by setup bat (before it has time to use them)?

Well, they shouldn't (at least they don't in our system). Based on what little I know of the command line and batch files, the lines are executed from top to bottom, waiting for each step to be completed without doing the next. From your description it would seem that the files were not there in the first place. Which is why we would need your Amber-setup.debug.

By the way, if you have the "Do not show file extensions" thingie selected in Windows folder options, you will naturally not find Amber-setup.debug file in your BG2 folder, since .debug is the file extension. You should switch it off in order to distinguish it from the similarly named .tp2 and .exe files...

It's buggy though, lorraine's son didn't spawn one try and amber didn't spawn after lorraine went to the trigger location on the next try.

That is very strange, since we haven't had any reports of similar behaviour from either our testers during beta or from other players. Neither have we experienced this ourselves.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

When you say Lorraine's son didn't spawn, do you mean that Lorraine still used the machine in the laboratory, but nothing happened? Or Lorraine didn't do anything after the battle with Ymmyrt? What did she say after you killed Ymmyrt?

And in the next case, what trigger location do you speak of? Where exactly did Amber not spawn?

The sequence in Ymmyrt's laboratory has been quite extensively tested and we haven't really heard any bug reports about it for a long time, which is why this got me a bit worried. If there really are bugs present, they may well have something to do with something not installing quite right with your system...

Very strange, overall.

Well, they shouldn't (at least they don't in our system). Based on what little I know of the command line and batch files, the lines are executed from top to bottom, waiting for each step to be completed without doing the next. From your description it would seem that the files were not there in the first place. Which is why we would need your Amber-setup.debug.

By the way, if you have the "Do not show file extensions" thingie selected in Windows folder options, you will naturally not find Amber-setup.debug file in your BG2 folder, since .debug is the file extension. You should switch it off in order to distinguish it from the similarly named .tp2 and .exe files...

:hm: Ok, bear with me, I'm trying to make sure I've got this all down right. :blush:

MERIA,

Yes I DO have a debug file, (it WAS that darn file extension box in window's view options and

my inattention to detail).

I'm sending it via email to the address you gave me before.

I tend to agree with you that the oggdec and tisunpack files weren't there in the first

place so I guess that isolates the problem to the routine that puts them there? (my programming

skills are seriously rusty [cobaul, fortran, basic], this looks to be in C+ ?)

After looking at the debug file I'm REAL tempted to uninstall everything (including SOA)

and start over with just Amber but will wait to see if you think it'll screw up what we're working on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DARIOS,

I'll try to answer your questions in order here.

To correct myself about the debug file. I DO have one, it was ME not unchecking the "don't show file extensions" box in windows options. Not the mod or windows at fault. (sigh, human error again!) To preface all of the below. I copied the oggdec and tisunpack files to the override folder and the amberunpack file to the bg-soa main folder to get the area(s) to load, which worked, but encountered this stuff after doing so.

On the 1st try:

lorraine & ymmyrt go through their verbal sparring after my party got into his lab.

the battle happens and we kill ymmyrt & his pets

lorraine says "So another lesson......one last task....forever" she stays frozen near

that white lighted thing in the center of the room and never goes to the machine to spawn her

son. Attempts at dialog fail and the problem is never repeated on other tries.

On the 2nd and subsequent tries:

things happen as above EXCEPT lorraine goes to the machine and the son spawns (this is

the trigger location I was speaking of).

Mom and son talk awhile;

"Mother mother...." "Dear child...." "Oh mother..." "Goodbye mother...." the son

disappears and lorraine says;

"It has been so long..."It will be a long time..." I know naught....." "I will take my

leave...you'll find your friend....room at the end of that flight of stairs..." +2000 EPawarded, lorraine then leaves.

After mounting the stairs and getting into the room I see the poisoned dead guy and get the discription of his condition, then nothing else happens, (tried: talking, spells, attacking, ect. no effect). there's nothing else that highlights to interact with, amber doesn't spawn (I'm assuming my entry triggers her spawning here).

I've used the machine downstairs with the remaining black, white and red soul stones.

Amber doesn't spawn here either but I kinda wasn't expecting it since lorraine said amber'd be up

the stairs.

I tried using the CLUAConsole to spawn her from the cre files listed in her folder but

each appears to be initial contact files and none recognize being rescued.

BY THE WAY.... I SERIOUSLY LIKED THE MOTHER AND SON INTERACTION HERE, IT SHOWS HOW A REAL MOM AND KID WOULD INTERACT IN SUCH A HORRIBLE SITUATION. NICELY DONE, WHOEVER WROTE THIS HAS A REAL EYE TO DRAWING THE PLAYER INTO A STORYLINE. I THROUGHLY ENJOYED THE MOMENT.

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Larry

things happen as above EXCEPT lorraine goes to the machine and the son spawns (this is

Mom and son talk awhile;

"Mother mother...." "Dear child...." "Oh mother..." "Goodbye mother...." the son

"It has been so long..."It will be a long time..." I know naught....." "I will take my

leave...you'll find your friend....room at the end of that flight of stairs..." +2000 EPawarded, lorraine then leaves.

After mounting the stairs and getting into the room I see the poisoned dead guy and get the discription of his condition, then nothing else happens, (tried: talking, spells, attacking, ect. no effect). there's nothing else that highlights to interact with, amber doesn't spawn (I'm assuming my entry triggers her spawning here).

I've used the machine downstairs with the remaining black, white and red soul stones.

Amber doesn't spawn here either but I kinda wasn't expecting it since lorraine said amber'd be up

the stairs.

Although what happened during that first try you described was certainly a bug (Lorraine locking up for some reason), the above is exactly what should happen. The poisoned guy and the shards of glass near the window should be a clue as to what has happened. Are you sure that you cannot interact with the window? If that is the case, there is something wrong with the variables that should activate it, but I suggest that you take a second look at it. If I remember correctly (I'm not at home right now), it should first be an info trigger and when you click on it, change into a travel trigger (you can climb out of the window). If that does not work, please let us know and send us a save game in which you are in the room, so that we can try to figure out what is not working correctly. You should also be able to find Amber by going out of the house by the route you came in. Although if there is a variable that is messed up, that might also be preventing Amber from appearing. But in any case, she should not be in the room, despite of what Lorraine thinks.

I tried using the CLUAConsole to spawn her from the cre files listed in her folder but

This is something you should never do. With a 99% percent certainty, Amber will not work correctly if you just CLUAConsole her back into the game. There is some pretty intricate machinery governing her actions, and using the console to spawn her will not set the various variables to where they should be.

BY THE WAY.... I SERIOUSLY LIKED THE MOTHER AND SON INTERACTION HERE, IT SHOWS HOW A REAL MOM AND KID WOULD INTERACT IN SUCH A HORRIBLE SITUATION. NICELY DONE, WHOEVER WROTE THIS HAS A REAL EYE TO DRAWING THE PLAYER INTO A STORYLINE. I THROUGHLY ENJOYED THE MOMENT.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. The credit for that - as for all of the textual content of the mod - goes to Meira.

Mom and son talk awhile;

the stairs.

Although what happened during that first try you described was certainly a bug (Lorraine locking up for some reason), the above is exactly what should happen. The poisoned guy and the shards of glass near the window should be a clue as to what has happened. Are you sure that you cannot interact with the window? If that is the case, there is something wrong with the variables that should activate it, but I suggest that you take a second look at it. If I remember correctly (I'm not at home right now), it should first be an info trigger and when you click on it, change into a travel trigger (you can climb out of the window). If that does not work, please let us know and send us a save game in which you are in the room, so that we can try to figure out what is not working correctly. You should also be able to find Amber by going out of the house by the route you came in. Although if there is a variable that is messed up, that might also be preventing Amber from appearing. But in any case, she should not be in the room, despite of what Lorraine thinks.

This is something you should never do. With a 99% percent certainty, Amber will not work correctly if you just CLUAConsole her back into the game. There is some pretty intricate machinery governing her actions, and using the console to spawn her will not set the various variables to where they should be.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. The credit for that - as for all of the textual content of the mod - goes to Meira.

Darios,

Ya got me! I failed to note the question mark over the window when the cursor passed over it. Things progressed as you predicted without incident. (guess that'll teach me to use just the tab key to see what's available in a room). Very clever puzzle, I enjoyed it.

Thanks again,

SkyWolf :blush:

Sorry to report that this bug has appeared in my game too!

got as far as identifying the scroll, but when I tride to "use item" the game attempts to load then just crashes!

I tried to follow the advice given above, but a lot of it was tehcno-speak, well over my head

What I have done...

i looked in folder baldursgateII/amber/areas and I've got 6 of each m#ar0*.are, m#ar0*.mos, m#ar0*.tiz, m#ar0*.wed,

I uninstalled and re-installed my mods: Amber, Ease_Of_Use, Unfinished_Buisness, Shuri_Ninja

but still no joy!

Is there any way to jump to the next part of the story?

So you're one of the few unlucky persons to whom the area tilesets refuse to unpack (you have .tiz file instead of a .tis file in you override). I still don't know what's behind it - for the version 2.1 I eliminated the possibility that the user closes the command prompt window before the unpack.bat is launched.

I very much would like to know what's causing this and I'd like you to answer a few questions for me:

During gameplay, can you hear the Amber's voicing?

During gameplay, can you hear music playing during Amber's talks?

(So that I know if it's just the tilesets or audio as well that's refusing to unpack.)

Is there a file called tisunpack.exe in your override?

What version of widows you're running?

What firewall and/or antivirus program you have? (I ask because I suspect that it's possible that a overzealous safety program or setting might prevent unknown .bat files from prompting programs, like tisunpack.exe. Though, that didn't seem to be the cause in SkyWolfs case.)

Can I have a copy of Amber's debugfile (setup-amber.debug)? You can send it to <amber@welho.net>.

In some cases simply uninstalling and then installing Amber again has solved the issue (Ie. the tilesets failing to unpack has been simply a very, very annoying hiccup.)

If you do uninstall and install again, can you please take a look on the text displayed in the command prompt window, before WeiDU asks if you want to install the multiplayer friendly flirting? If you see a long list that indicates what tile number has been converted and below the list a text that informs that so and so many tiles has been converted with method 0, so and so with method 1 etc. the tilesets have been successfully converted. If and when there's an error or warning text can you tell me what it says? (Unfortunately the .bat file that prompts the unpacking of the audio and area graphics can't be made to create an debug log of itself like WeiDU does.)

EDIT: Changed "re-install" to "uninstall and install again" so that it won't be confused with the reinstall option of WeiDU, which should not be used.

What I have done...

i looked in folder baldursgateII/amber/areas and I've got 6 of each m#ar0*.are, m#ar0*.mos, m#ar0*.tiz, m#ar0*.wed,

I uninstalled and re-installed my mods: Amber, Ease_Of_Use, Unfinished_Buisness, Shuri_Ninja

but still no joy!

Yes, you would naturally have the .tiz file in the Amber installation folder, but you'll need to check whether you have m#ar0X.tis or m#ar0X.tiz in your override folder. That will give use a clue whether the tilesets have unpacked or not. But apart from checking that, do what Meira asked yo to do.

What I have done...

but still no joy!

Yes, you would naturally have the .tiz file in the Amber installation folder, but you'll need to check whether you have m#ar0X.tis or m#ar0X.tiz in your override folder. That will give use a clue whether the tilesets have unpacked or not. But apart from checking that, do what Meira asked yo to do.

Ooops! :)

I'm at work at the mo so I can't check till later but when I get home I'll check for tiz's and tis's and tisunpack.exe in the override folder...

and I'll send you the debug file too...

I'll also uninstall and re-install (again)

Just to confirm some of those other things:

Yes I could hear amber's voice, and

Yes there was music when she spoke (both very well done by the way!)

I've got Windows XP

with AVG free as a virus/firewall

One other thing that might be of relavence

There were some problems with Minsk getting his lines wrong (with those Wis and Int stats i'm not surprised!) Just after Amber was taken he came out with the "reunion with Boo" speach for Unfinished buisness. There were some others too, but i thought it was a problem from the UBmod, but could it be there are compatability problems?

Thanks for your quick help.

A great mod, well made and very nicely done! can't wait to get her back in my party!

Meira,

thanks for all yer help, i downloded amberV21 (previously had v2) and did another uninstall, re-install.

Install went much quicker and got a message saying:

unpacked 229 tiles with method 0, 0 tiles with method 1, 250 tiles with method 2

There were no error messages

I have just tested it: I read the scroll and we jumped to the end of a new alley (no crash and I was even given time to read the text above my PC's head)!

I don't have time to fully test it out now (got to put dinner on) so i quit to write this.

Really looking forward to exploring it sooooooon!

Thanks again! :)

Archived