v2 Bugs & Thoughts

Guest Bombur

Nice mod -- thanks for all the hard work and clever ideas! Also, I definitely appreciated the full voicing.

Just a few oddities I thought you might like to know about. As background, here's the installation I'm running:

I started with v1.1. When v2 came out I uninstalled and completely deleted all traces of v1.1, then installed v2. Seemed to pick up without a hitch. I'm also running tactics, improved thief stronghold, item upgrade, and ease of use. Fade is also installed, but not present in the party. All these were installed prior to Amber.

Here are the oddities/bugs I encountered in a full run through SoA with Amber romancing the PC in a single-player game:

1. Amber never seems to have had a romance conflict with Jaheira. Both romances ran simultaneously at RomanceActive 1 until Jaheira reached RomanceActive 2, at which point Amber jumped to RomanceActive 3. I had to CLUA Jaheira to RomanceActive 3 to get Amber's romance to progress.

2. "How are you doing" dialog option frequently lacks the "continue" button. Pressing "1" advances the dialog.

3. Amber's Tree of Life dialog does not fire.

4. Frequent movement stuttering for Amber.

Additional thoughts:

1. Amber was not vampirized. Perhaps the romance does not advance quickly enough?

2. The "flirt" list could use more *speaking* options (most are *touching* options).

3. Amber speaks very slowly compared to all other NPCs (both original and fan-made). Any way to increase her audio tempo without re-recording?

Despite these minor issues, Amber is a great mod. Thanks again for the hard work!

Firstly, thanks for the comments! Feedback is always welcome. :blush:

1. Amber never seems to have had a romance conflict with Jaheira. Both romances ran simultaneously at RomanceActive 1 until Jaheira reached RomanceActive 2, at which point Amber jumped to RomanceActive 3. I had to CLUA Jaheira to RomanceActive 3 to get Amber's romance to progress.

Jaheira is supposed to interject to Amber's talk with PC where Amber asks: "How do you feel about using your divinely granted powers?". However if Jaheira is out of the party (on Harper business) or too far away to interject it's possible that you might miss the interjection. In addition there's a romance conflict banter which will take place sometime after the talk mentioned above. Again, if Jaheira is not in the party that conflict banter will be skipped. Do you remember if Jaheira was out of the party? I checked the conflict triggers and they seem to be alright. ;)

Currently Amber does not interject to Jaheira's lovetalks for the simple reason that I have not played Jaheira's romance yet - I've seen the Harper quests, but that's it.

I'm not a big fan of "choose me or her, NOW!"-talks; hence only Viconia and Amber will have one. Ending Jaheira's or Aerie's romance in favour of Amber's is up to the PC.

2. "How are you doing" dialog option frequently lacks the "continue" button. Pressing "1" advances the dialog.

This has been addressed in the next version. :hm:

I have to re-check the conditions of the general (non-completed romance / friendship) ToL interaction. Thanks for reporting.

4. Frequent movement stuttering for Amber.

Hmmm... Can you be more specific on which situations this happens? Do you perhaps have an old save where she stutters? So far two of the three dialog related stutter cases for public release of Amber were caused by the player manually changing Amber's variables (such as her romance active). The third case was caused by my mistake: if the PC flirts with Phaere (in the drow tavern) in the early stages of Amber's romance, Amber's comment to the flirting gets stuck.

Additional thoughts:

1. Amber was not vampirized. Perhaps the romance does not advance quickly enough?

If Amber's romance active is not 2 when you enter the graveyard in chapter 6, Bodhi will not abduct Amber. I agree that Amber does not suit terribly well to a quick playing style.

2. The "flirt" list could use more *speaking* options (most are *touching* options).

:D I'll think about it. However, at the moment new flirt ideas are more likely to be added to the ToB flirts.

3. Amber speaks very slowly compared to all other NPCs (both original and fan-made). Any way to increase her audio tempo without re-recording?

Not really, sorry.

Despite these minor issues, Amber is a great mod. Thanks again for the hard work!

Thank you. ;)

I have to re-check the conditions of the general (non-completed romance / friendship) ToL interaction. Thanks for reporting.

Yeah, I can see where I went wrong this time... Doh! :hm: Another fix for the ToL comign up... :blush:

Jaheira is supposed to interject to Amber's talk with PC where Amber asks: "How do you feel about using your divinely granted powers?". However if Jaheira is out of the party (on Harper business) or too far away to interject it's possible that you might miss the interjection. In addition there's a romance conflict banter which will take place sometime after the talk mentioned above. Again, if Jaheira is not in the party that conflict banter will be skipped. Do you remember if Jaheira was out of the party? I checked the conflict triggers and they seem to be alright.

I kept Jaheira in the party for the whole game, but I can't recall if these banters took place while she was on harper business. Sorry.

Do you perhaps have an old save where she stutters? So far two of the three dialog related stutter cases for public release of Amber were caused by the player manually changing Amber's variables (such as her romance active). The third case was caused by my mistake: if the PC flirts with Phaere (in the drow tavern) in the early stages of Amber's romance, Amber's comment to the flirting gets stuck.

I didn't change any of her variables (except to figure out why her romance terminated, though I don't believe I kept those games). I simply changed Jaheira's RomanceActive variable before the dialog that changed it to 2 (as I recall, Jaheira's dialog that switches the variable to 2 does not offer an option to break the romance). And I did not opt for the flirty responses to Phaere.

Throughout the game Amber often failed to reach her target movement location (as if she had been about to speak but did not). She did not, however, repeatedly stutter on the same screen (as often happens when one installs the multiple romance mod). I do have some old saves, but I'm not sure which of them would provide the best examples. Want me to email you a random pick?

at the moment new flirt ideas are more likely to be added to the ToB flirts.

That would provide a nice change-up between SoA and ToB. Still, Amber does tell Immie that she isn't sure how the PC feels about her. And she tells the PC she loves him. It would be nice at least to provide the option for the PC to acknowledge, affirm and reciprocate Amber's statements and feelings. If the flirt list itself is not modified, it might be appropriate to offer this opportunity either in the PC-initiated flirts or in the dialog responses to Amber-initated flirts.

Again, thanks for making such an enjoyable mod! I look forward to seeing the ToB release.

Throughout the game Amber often failed to reach her target movement location (as if she had been about to speak but did not). She did not, however, repeatedly stutter on the same screen (as often happens when one installs the multiple romance mod). I do have some old saves, but I'm not sure which of them would provide the best examples. Want me to email you a random pick?

Hmmm... Then it's not probably stuck dialogue (because that would cause continuous, game stopping stutter), but something else. You can email a save to <amber@welho.net>, and I can take a look, though I can promise anything stuck dialogue is so much easier to detect. Do you recall if she turned towards another character when she stopped?

Apparently there are at least two causes for 'failing to walk normally'-type of stutter (as opposite to the type of stutter where NPC approaches to another character repeatedly but fails to initiate a conversation) that are not related to Amber:

1. Ring of regeneration + Adalon's drow disguise spell, which causes the NPC to stop walking approximately every 5 to 10 seconds. I have experienced this bug once even though I nearly always have ring of regeneration.

2. Similar to above, but this time somehow connected to character wearing the boots of speed. I have never seen this one in practice, though, so it seems to be rather rare too.

Archived