NI weirdness

berelinde

I don't understand it. I've been using Near Infinity moderately competently for months, and now I'm getting the error message listed in the topic description. What is going on?

More importantly, how do I fix it?

And what does a java.io.IOException:data/Default.bif not found mean?

Trying to be more descriptive...

I am attempting to use NI on a Tutu installation. Attempts at using NI to open any file produces a dialog window that says

Error reading EA.IDS

data/Default.biff not found

The bar at the bottom of the screen says

Error reading EA.IDS - java.io.IOException:data/Default.biff not found

That's as much information as I have, unforutnately. I was able to open the same .CRE two weeks ago and did not encounter an error message. I did not change the file when I opened it, nor have I changed my Tutu installation in any way. Which makes this kind of strange.

Thanks, Ascension64. That seems to have been what the problem was. I don't know exactly what was going on, since I had already copied over baldur.exe, but I am now able to open and view files in the directory. Go fig. I know I should worry about this, but as long as it works, I don't care why.

Anyway, once I was finally able to open files, I was able to find out what was causing the null error: corrupted CRE. For some reason, it had a couple wacky null value innate spells associated with it. I'm sure I didn't put them there, but I'm at a loss to say who did. Can I blame the cat? Paranormal activity?

Thanks for the help. I'm afraid when things suddenly go screwy, I go into panic mode far too easily.

Archived