Backstab everything?

Guest coaster

Guest coaster

Hi

How difficult would it be to introduce a tweak (or cheat, if you prefer) to remove the backstab restrictions which prevent backstabbing certain enemies (eg. dragons, demons)? This is unfortunately one of the main issues which prevent me completing the game as a F/T or assassin. Assassination is pretty useless late on in ToB since the main bosses just aren't affected.

From a RP perpective, I don't see why you can't sneak up on a dragon and stab him from behind (in one of the hind paws, if you like...)

TIA.

Backstab gets better damage because you have the ability to hit something vital with it. Dragon's probably don't keep their important bits in their paws, but somewhere a little harder to reach.

Are you trying to solo? If not, you can have up to 5 friends along to help you complete the game. Send Keldorn, Minsc, and Valygar up against Firkraag, after a mage has softened him up a bit, and who cares if you're not able to backstab him.

Guest coaster

Yes, I'm trying to solo. It's not so much Firkraag (a few spike traps wipe out unmodded Firkraag after all) but rather some of the ToB bosses, especially with Ascension installed.

I think the point about where dragons keep their vitals is debatable (one might also argue you would struggle to backstab a fire giant if you are a halfling, but I believe that is permitted by the game engine). I could argue my halfling assassin has such powerful legs he can leap on the dragon's back and stab him between the scales :)

Well, from a role playing perspective, sure, you could jump up on a dragon and stab him beween the scales (assuming you knew where he kept his vital organs and had a weapon that could reach through all that meat). I'd even allow it in PnP, in the right circumstance. But then again, don't you think a creature with sharp enough senses to automatically detect invisible creatures might notice someone setting up a dozen (very small to a dragon too) traps about twenty yards away? And crisp you while you were doing it?

It's a game engine thing, for balance purposes.

On the matter of the backstab though, I think that most of the bosses have their backstab immunity built into an undroppable item they carry. If you look up the effect on the IESDP, you can probably find and delete the effect manually from each boss using a game editor like Near Infinity.

Archived