Ye gods! *puke*

Flarn

Since the topic itself doesn't have a spoiler tag yet, I'll insert *SPOLIERS* here, just in case.

I just read the last couple of posts, and I am totally flabbergasted. Reed's intervention was totally seamless, she just fitted right in (and I loved that "what kind of mage would I be if I couldn't scry my own brother!" comment). And I didn't feel she was intrusive at all! In fact, I rather liked the Reed character, she seemed like someone the PC could become friends with (especially my lil' half-elven sorceress, they could've have talked about the Weave for hours, and then wrapped the whole thing up with embarassing storied about Gavin's childhood! ). I never felt that she was a "burr under the PC's saddle", so to speak (figuratively speaking of course, since we all know that the party travels by foot see the horse flirt topic in the Aklon forum! ). It's kinda funny that from the same lines, the same situations, the same items, we would get different impressions.

Absolutely. It's like all these Aerie/Edwin/Irenicus/Imoen/Anomen discussions back at the Forgotten Wars forums - same characters, same lines, completely different reactions. :)

About the original topic: I still feel that the action would have made more sense coming from a non-good character. As it is,

1) cutting off Gavin's finger is available only in romance,

2) a good character would not cut off Gavin's finger(otherwise he'd not be a good character),

3) Gavin only romances good characters.

In logical terms, the predicate will always return false.

Yeah, but you have to allow for that one shining example of really bad judgement.

I would hope that the PC would stand there, his finger still dripping, thinking "My gods, what did I just do?"

Yes, this is definitely not a good act. I will not attempt to say that it is. But there is already provision for that in the romance. If the consensus is that the offense index should kill the romance earlier than it does, I can drop it, but I don't want somebody to live in fear of saying the wrong thing. Gavin takes the PC very seriously, but his sensitivities aren't quite that fragile.

As an aside:

During the last Tutu game I actually played, my paladin fell. Why, you may ask? Because doofus wanted to see what happened when you let yourself be captured by the Flaming Fist instead of just guzzling invisibility potions. Well, some guards went hostile and Kivan and Ajantis chunked them before I could turn off the AI. I think my rep dropped about 15 points.

If you're curious, that is why Gavin won't break it off if your reputation drops *after* LT17.

If you're curious, that is why Gavin won't break it off if your reputation drops *after* LT17.

Heh. That's pretty nice of him, if I may say so. But, wait, what about Bhaal's revelation? If it happens after LT17 and rep is below 15, the romance is killed, right? Or maybe you meant LT27 or something?

And yeah, chapter 7 has always been a pain for me, too. Sigh.

Nope. Once the PC has accepted his proposal, he won't break it off over reputation, the discovery about Bhaal, or much else.

Which reminds me, I need to find out how to prevent Gavin from leaving the party over reputation should it drop below 5, if the relationship is committed. Once he's committed to the PC, he's staying until the bitter end, no matter what his alignment break is. Tsujatha does it. I'll have to peek at the code. Of course, this would depend on what the offense value is. He might still leave over offense (and the reputation issue will cause that value to rise). But if the party is attacked by the Flaming Fist and they are forced to kill some of them in self-defense, he shouldn't dump the PC as a result. Anyway, I need to look into that.

If the PC embraces her Bhaal essence and says she plans to use it to achieve her dreams of world domination, he'll dump her. If she accepts a snog from Durlyle and says she liked it and would do it again, he'll leave over it, but that's about it. But don't hold me to that. There might be something I'm forgetting!

If she accepts a snog from Durlyle and says she liked it and would do it again, he'll leave over it,

And yet he can be remarkably tolerant if she says she was just curious. When I got this dialogue I tried all the options before settling on the one my PC would do and what really got me was the part where he said that if she really wanted to try having sex with another man (my PC played as a virgin) he would tolerate it 'even though it would make him weep.' I just felt so bad for him. I can't stand it when men cry - not that I think it is wrong, but since society conditions us to see it as such a rarity, and in my experience it is, when a man cries around me I just feel so helpless. Paradoxically, to me a man who can show his emotions in that way is very appealing. I guess I like men who can cry, but I don't want to be the one who made them do it.

Flarn

With Durlyle, it was all about attitude.

If she genuinely felt deprived because she had never been with another man, he'll be upset, but he'll get over it.

If she beligerently declared that she loved the thrill of kissing another man, she has officially pushed him too far.

Guest Guest
Yeah, but you have to allow for that one shining example of really bad judgement.

I would hope that the PC would stand there, his finger still dripping, thinking "My gods, what did I just do?"

Yes, this is definitely not a good act. I will not attempt to say that it is. But there is already provision for that in the romance. If the consensus is that the offense index should kill the romance earlier than it does, I can drop it, but I don't want somebody to live in fear of saying the wrong thing. Gavin takes the PC very seriously, but his sensitivities aren't quite that fragile.

As an aside:

During the last Tutu game I actually played, my paladin fell. Why, you may ask? Because doofus wanted to see what happened when you let yourself be captured by the Flaming Fist instead of just guzzling invisibility potions. Well, some guards went hostile and Kivan and Ajantis chunked them before I could turn off the AI. I think my rep dropped about 15 points.

I know this is an old thread but I just saw it and this made me laugh so hard I had to wipe my eyes. Not the finger part but the chunking guards part. I never have the nerve to try that berelinde. Did you finsh that game and if so was the romance as nice or was it uncomfortable and you felt guilty? Will Gavin treat me different if that happens to me I wonder?

Oh, I finished the game, all right! At that point, the game is so far along that reputation doesn't really matter all that much. I believe my role-playing rationale for finishing that game was that Ajantis and Kivan were reacting to a threat, and were justified in killing the guards. And by that time, Gavin is either committed to the PC and won't break up with her, no matter what her reputation. Unfortunately, I just learned how to keep him from leaving the party at an extremely low rep if he's in a committed relationship with the PC, so that will be in version 1.3, but isn't in v 1.2.

Guest Guest
Oh, I finished the game, all right! At that point, the game is so far along that reputation doesn't really matter all that much. I believe my role-playing rationale for finishing that game was that Ajantis and Kivan were reacting to a threat, and were justified in killing the guards. And by that time, Gavin is either committed to the PC and won't break up with her, no matter what her reputation. Unfortunately, I just learned how to keep him from leaving the party at an extremely low rep if he's in a committed relationship with the PC, so that will be in version 1.3, but isn't in v 1.2.

Ha! Thanks for that! I'm glad you finished anyway despite your low rep.

Anyway not to bug you but I don't quite get what you mean by your last sentence. Well I guess I can wait for it and maybe see?

I guess from being someone who adores Gavin I would hope he still loves the pc even if he doesn't break up with her just because of a committment. I don't want a loveless marriage! :)

Sorry, that isn't too clear to me anymore, either. I really should get more sleep.

I intend for Gavin to value his commitment to the PC more than his concerns about reputation. When I wrote v 1.2, I didn't know how to make him stay at the party at reputations lower than the breaking point for good characters. Now I do, so I'll be making adjustments to the next version.

And no worries, he'll still love her, no matter what happens to her rep in chapter 7.

Archived