Minor 4th-wall problems with Branwen romance

Guest Petrushka

Guest Petrushka

While I'm here (and again, thank you for this wonderful mod!), I thought I might as well mention some minor inconsistencies in dialogue with Branwen. I haven't tested exhaustively, but I think it's mainly a problem with the Branwen romance.

The problem is that in certain conversations with her, including (a) the conversation that takes place when you enter AR2626 (Candlekeep) and (b) I *think* some conversations initiated by the PC, or maybe it's romance dialogues, she'll make mention of plot elements before it's time for them. Notably: she'll talk about the Iron Throne before the PC is supposed to know of its existence (which is from the start of chapter 4 onwards, I think); and at Candlekeep she'll talk about hunting down the Iron Throne leaders even if it's not chapter 6 yet.

Now, I know it's unlikely that anyone playing this doesn't already know the story, so the mentions of the Iron Throne probably don't really spoil anything. But they are minor nicks in the fourth wall.

BTW this didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying the Branwen romance. Thanks again.

There is no way you can possibly be in Candlekeep with Branwen before Chapter 6 without using some seriously fourth-wall breaking console movement commands.

Candlekeep is closed to the party after the Prologue and is not reopened until Chapter 6, when Duke Eltan hands you the book. And by then, you've already been in the Iron Throne Building itself, in chapter 5.

As for incidental references, I could see preventing the party from knowing about the Iron Throne before chapter 3. Maybe. But that's iffy.They start running into Iron Throne people in Larswood and Peldvale, so by that time, the secret's out. So essentially, this would include adding a !Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",2) check to banters where she mentions it.

Naturally, my opinion on the subject isn't worth much, but I would not be in favor of recoding Branwen for something like this.

Guest Petrushka
There is no way you can possibly be in Candlekeep with Branwen before Chapter 6 without using some seriously fourth-wall breaking console movement commands.

You can't go *inside* (i.e. get past the guard at the gate), but you can certainly enter the area. Sorry, I didn't mean the interior of Candlekeep, I meant the area you get to by going west from the Lion's Way. There's no *point* in going there before chapter 6, of course -- I only discovered this because I was making some long journeys to pass time until a certain event occurred.

Thank you very much for feedback.

cmorgan, when you have the time, please, add Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",6) to Candlekeep dialogues for Xan and Branwen, just in case. I think Xan's is working, but anyway.

As for the Iron Throne, Branwen worked for Tranzig, who turned out to be an Iron Throne emissary, so I think she knows some scraps of information - just as Xan does. Their charmed dialogues, now incorporated into player-initiated "Tell me about yourself" options, mention this - this is original, in-game dialogue. If something bothers you specifically, please, give me the lines, and I'll have a look.

I am home early sick, so I can respond quickly:

in D:\BaldursGateTutu\BG1NPC\Phase3\XAROM\DLG\X#XANLT.D

/* Floater 2 - Entered Candlekeep */
IF WEIGHT #-2
~Global("X#XAFloatTalk2","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN XanLoveTalk22
SAY @691 /* I hate bringing you back to the ground, but...	 */
++ @692 DO ~SetGlobal("X#XAFloatTalk2","GLOBAL",2)~ + X#XALT22.1
++ @693 DO ~SetGlobal("X#XAFloatTalk2","GLOBAL",2)~ + X#XALT22.2
++ @694 DO ~SetGlobal("X#XAFloatTalk2","GLOBAL",2)~ + X#XALT22.3
END

hold on, I will be back with the code changes... sorry...

related BAF D:\BaldursGateTutu\BG1NPC\Phase3\XAROM\BAF\X#XAROM.BAF

you (or I on your request) already added:

/* Floaters */
/* PC entered FW2626 - Candlekeep Grounds */
Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",6)

so this one is already fixed; it looks like we fixed all of Xan's regular and Lovetalk Candlekeep references with Chapter checks in the latest internal.

Checking Branwen...

OK, spoiler alert, I guess...

in .tra files the following references occur to the Iron Throne (Sarevok's Diary deleted from the list)

Searching for: Iron Throne
_RBALDU.tra(5): @4	= ~Did you hear about the assassinations at Candlekeep? Seems that the leaders of the Iron Throne went and got themselves killed. Those same fellows who helped the folks down in Nashkel did the deed. They were Amnish agents, I hear. Anyhow, one of the dead guy's sons is now the leader. Sarevok is his name, I think.~
_RBALDU.tra(6): @5	= ~Sarevok has assumed command of the Iron Throne. I am still accused of the former leaders' murders, though it is thought I was an agent of Amn. Someone is intent upon pushing the region into war.~
_RBALDU.tra(13): @12   = ~There's a big price on the heads of those fellas who offed the Iron Throne's leaders. 5000 gold or more, I think.~
_RBALDU.tra(15): @14   = ~With Entar Silvershield dead, they're going to have to elect a new Grand Duke. Seems like a lot of people think it'll be the new leader of the Iron Throne, Sarevok.~
_RBALDU.tra(16): @15   = ~With the leaders of the Iron Throne out of the way, Sarevok was free to assume the leadership. Now he is trying to fill the gap in Baldur's Gate left by Entar Silvershield's death. Coincidental deaths seem to follow his rise to power.~
_RBALDU.tra(19): @18   = ~Ever since the Iron Throne moved into that mansion in the southwest, strange things have been afoot. I don't know what it is about that building, but it gives me the creeps. ~
_RBALDU.tra(20): @19   = ~There is something strange about the new home of the Iron Throne in the southwest of Baldur's Gate~
_RBALDU.tra(29): @28   = ~I heard that the Merchant's League is having a lot of trouble. Seems that the three owners are squabbling about how to run the place. The Iron Throne's been taking advantage of that situation. If things continue as they are, the Throne soon won't have any competition. Kinda strange, considering they only moved into the city a couple of years back.~
_RBALDU.tra(30): @29   = ~The Iron Throne is quite powerful in Baldur's Gate, even though they only arrived there recently. Something may be disrupting the Merchant's League and reducing its ability to compete.~
_RBALDU.tra(34): @33   = ~The Seven Suns has been acting very strange as of late. The company seems to be intent on losing money. Even a simple bartender like myself can see the foolishness of some of their decisions. I doubt the Iron throne is crying about it, though. They're making a lot of inroads because of the Suns’ mistakes.~
_RBALDU.tra(39): @38   = ~With the leaders of the Iron Throne out of the way, Sarevok was free to assume the leadership. Now he is trying to fill the gap in Baldur's Gate left by Entar Silvershield's death. Coincidental deaths seem to follow his rise to power.~
P#BRLT.tra(537): @535  = ~There's no time for chit-chat, Branwen. The leaders of the Iron Throne await.~
P#IMANEL.tra(55): @50   = ~Naive as well... Delicious! No, Kivan, Tazok is not dead. Tazok is serving a leader of the Iron Throne, and he brought him back to life.~
X#ADDIAL.tra(95): @94   = ~Faldorn, I have no problem with mining in general, but my goal is to investigate the Iron Throne. Since you seemed a valuable ally and wanted to do... something similar... I agreed to this alliance. Try not to disgust me with your blind hatreds, since I am still in charge here, and will leave you on your own whenever it pleases me.~
X#ADDIAL.tra(588): @578  = ~Actually I did kill them, but they're the leaders of the Iron Throne.  They were the people behind the iron shortage and everything else that's been wrong with the Sword Coast.  We did everyone a favor by killing them. ~
X#AJPCFL.tra(326): @325  = ~Let us proceed in investigating the machinations of the Iron Throne. The evil conspiracy has to be destroyed!~
X#AJPCFL_tmp.tra(326): @325  = ~Let us proceed in investigating the machinations of the Iron Throne. The evil conspiracy has to be destroyed!~
X#DYINT.tra(69): @68   = ~So, thou style thyself an enemy of the Iron Throne openly now? Well, one cannot hide all in a sack, I suppose, so mayhap 'tis for the best.~
X#FAINT.tra(72): @71   = ~The mines had fallen, but to complete my quest I must go further and enter Baldur's Gate itself, find the lair of the Iron Throne and exact my vengeance! My companions here are prepared to do just that...~
X#FAINT.tra(74): @73   = ~I abhor having to leave peaceful forests and having to walk into the desecrated bowels of the Great Mother. But I will do what I must to purge the parasites from the mines, and I will see the Iron Throne punished for what they have done!~
X#GAINT.TRA(25): @24   = ~We don't have time, Garrick, we've got to find the Iron Throne leaders!~
X#GAINT.TRA(27): @26   = ~I suppose it was quite a privilege, Garrick. Anyhow, let's go; we've not much time to waste. We've got to find the Iron Throne leaders!~
X#GAINT.TRA(32): @31   = ~Great attitude, but we have no time to talk about books, Garrick. We've got to find the Iron Throne leaders!~
X#GAINT.TRA(99): @98   = ~It seems there’s a lot of shady rumours involving the Iron Throne these days...~
X#IMINT.tra(67): @66   = ~We sure know what we're doin'! And take it from me, Fuller, those Iron Throne people are the villains here!~
X#JAINT.tra(26): @25   = ~It appears my dear friends Khalid and Jaheira are with the Harpers. I am honored and more than a little frightened to find that I warrant such attention. One of their compatriots, a kindly old gent named Entillis Fulsom, seems well-acquainted with my ongoing investigations into the Iron Throne. He has recommended to me the assistance of Scar and Duke Eltan, two men associated with the honorable Flaming Fist Mercenaries, here in Baldur's Gate... Harpers, yet... Sigh, why doesn't anyone ever tell me these things?~
X#MINSC.tra(120): @119  = ~You know... the Iron Throne?~
X#MINSC.tra(245): @244  = ~Friend Kivan, Boo thinks that Kivan should go to Rashemen with Minsc and Boo after the Iron Throne is kicked over by the mighty ranger's boots!~
X#MOINT.tra(34): @33   = ~He might. More like though, he'd might uv got to the Iron Throne at the Gate, help set up their warm welcome for us.~
X#MOINT.tra(73): @72   = ~Things grow darker here, darker than I thought possible. In Tazok's tent, I came across a prisoner, Ender Sai. If he speaks true, and I suspect the documents he referred to in Tazok's chest will show he does, the bandits are being played as pawns by a power group called, tellingly enough, the Iron Throne. Tazok's orders are coming from some base of theirs within the Cloakwood; and I have little doubt that it is there that I must journey next, if I wish to peel back the next layer of this mystery. Something still seems very wrong in this. It haunts me, dancing endlessly along the periphery of my thoughts. What it is, however, I know not.~
X#MOINT.tra(74): @73   = ~Things grow darker here, darker than I thought possible. In Tazok's tent, I came across a prisoner, Ender Sai. If he speaks true, and I suspect the documents he referred to in Tazok's chest will show he does, the bandits are being played as pawns by a power group called, tellingly enough, the Iron Throne. They meddle in the affairs of nations as if they were gods, pushing Amn and Baldur's Gate to the brink of war in order to line their pockets. They apparently maintain a base within the Cloakwood; and I have little doubt that it is there that I must journey next, if I wish to peel back the next layer of this mystery. Something still seems very wrong in this, however. It haunts me, dancing endlessly in the shadows, never coming into the light. What it is, however, I know not.~
X#MONTARON.tra(194): @193  = ~If ye think ye kin charm th' Iron Throne out o' they's secrets by making moon eyes at one another, ye may be right. They ain't that sort is my guess. Less'n they leaves town just to be quit o' ye.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(1924): @1916 = ~Those bandits started to spoil the iron. We need to continue on with this, after we destroy the Iron Throne. Then the townlings would fall without their cruel metal.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(1925): @1917 = ~We need to avenge the many hurts that the Great Mother took from the abominations. Let's destroy the Iron Throne!~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(1946): @1938 = ~We... we can't offend them right now, Faldorn. Not before our quest is done, at any rate. Killing all the evil Iron Throne Leaders? Remember?~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2165): @2156 = ~You know what we have to do, <CHARNAME> - we have to find those in the Iron Throne who orchestrated this conspiracy.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2166): @2157 = ~Mellonamin, I agree with your course of actions. They lead us to the Iron Throne and Tazok.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2169): @2160 = ~A clique of charlatans in the Iron Throne deceives and bleeds this land. If you do not see what has to be done, you are not the <PRO_MANWOMAN> I thought you were.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2173): @2164 = ~We meet many who are in need, but I think that if we do not break the neck of the Iron Throne soon, even more will suffer the consequences of this folly. Let us concentrate our efforts on finding the culprits and disrupting their plans.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2354): @2345 = ~Bah! Iron Throne 'n' out was th' deal. I never signed on fer *this* trip.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2719): @2710 = ~There is something, yes. <CHARNAME>, have you considered how many people guard the headquarters of the Iron Throne, the organization that is behind this entire turmoil? We shall have to confront them sooner or later, and, with our pitiful resources, we can do nothing but die.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2815): @2806 = ~Once this business with the Iron Throne is over, will you travel with me?~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2864): @2855 = ~Sarevok is probably here, together with the leaders of the Iron Throne. Shall we search for them?~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2873): @2864 = ~*sigh* Let us clean these mines as soon as possible. Until the Iron Throne is destroyed, I am doomed to follow at your tail, and I cannot say I enjoy every moment of it.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(2885): @2876 = ~If you are interested, friend, I am a Greycloak from Evereska. It is my duty to watch over the political events of the human nations along our borders. From what I have learned so far, there is some sort of mercantile organization known as the Iron Throne that has been trying to cause turmoil along the Sword Coast. To what end, I could not tell you, as I was captured before learning any more.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(3055): @3046 = ~When asked about his past, YESLICK quietly states that he was once a member of the dwarven clan Orothiar. For generations they used the iron mine in the center of Cloakwood as their home, but almost a century ago catastrophe struck. As skilled as they are underground, dwarves occasionally make mistakes.  One such incident cost them dearly. They apparently breached an underground river and the resulting flood claimed nearly all of the clan. Yeslick was one of the few survivors, and made his way to Sembia to start a new life. There he made the acquaintance of Rieltar, a member of the Iron Throne, and was hired as a personal smith. They became friends, and eventually Yeslick told of his past. This proved to be his undoing, as Rieltar used this information to formulate a plan to expand the Iron Throne power base in the Sword Coast.  Rieltar betrayed his supposed friend and forced him to reveal the location of the mines. Yeslick has been imprisoned ever since so as not to reveal the site to others. Now he wishes for nothing but the chance to right the wrongs that have been committed using his ancestral home.~ [DUMMYSND]
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(3072): @3063 = ~I've been in prison for a considerable time. I really don't know what's been happening on the surface. All I can tell ye is this: whatever those Iron Throne crooks are up to, it's not good, not good at all.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(3074): @3065 = ~But it's all gone under water by the ill blow of fate. I meself consecrated the mine to serve as a permanent watery grave-site for me kin, leaving it there as a monument to the memory of me family. A handful survived back then, and a handful is no clan. I did well enough for meself in Sembia afterwards, but for the Iron Throne banditry tricking me.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(3160): @3148 = ~I could break into the Iron Throne Quarters and search it in a blink of an eye... But since you prefer to do it the long and boring way, you should contact that old folk's home - the Flaming Fist.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(3609): @3592 = ~Well, as your best friend, I can tell you a few things. There's been some economic troubles in Baldur's Gate. There's been a lack of iron, and with the tensions between Amn and Baldur's Gate, this has been causing some concern. A mercantile organization called the Iron Throne has been making some headway within the economic circles of Baldur's Gate.~
X#PCINIT_tmp.tra(3940): @3923 = ~Let us proceed in investigating the machinations of the Iron Throne. The evil conspiracy has to be destroyed!~
X#QUAYL.tra(289): @288  = ~Betrayed by Rieltar of the Iron Throne, wasn't it?~
X#SHARTEEL.tra(302): @301  = ~I demand that you sleep outside of camp, male! Your snore is loud enough to draw Iron Throne assassins for miles around, and I would prefer not to be woken by your screaming and blubbering when they skewer you on their blades.~
X#SHROM.tra(685): @684  = ~Don't remind me about the cooking pot. <Player2> has no talent for cooking - I dread tonight's stew more than I dread the Iron Throne.~
X#TIAX.tra(4): @3	= ~The Iron Throne is involved in a little more than spices, Tiax...~
X#TIAX.tra(328): @327  = ~In fact, come ta think o' it, most o' those Iron Throne guards in the mine were Cyric-lovers, too, so it'd be me very own pleasure ta make you shriek like a pansy elf, if ye're up ta it!~
X#VIINT.tra(86): @85   = ~I’m afraid not, drow. The poison was ensorcelled to ensure no magics would work against it... The Iron Throne really does want you dead.~
X#XAINT.tra(5): @4	= ~While I have little trust for this individual, I would still heed his words, <CHARNAME>. The leaders of the Iron Throne are positioned too conveniently for my liking. It may well be a trap, for all we know.~
X#XANLT.TRA(134): @133  = ~I believe I have told you before, but I will repeat myself if you wish. From what I have learned so far, there is some sort of mercantile organization known as the Iron Throne that has been trying to cause turmoil along the Sword Coast. To what end, I cannot tell you, as I was captured before learning any more. I must determine their goals and report back, lest they endanger the whole region.~
X#XANLT.TRA(225): @224  = ~It will not last forever. Once I deal with the Iron Throne, I shall be free to settle down, if I choose to do so.~
X#XANLT.TRA(402): @401  = ~<CHARNAME>... you do not understand. I cannot go on. If it continues, you will be hurt. You will suffer when I die, and I won't have that. What is the point of shielding you from enemies, if I cannot protect you from myself? You have a chance to survive; you are capable and strong. When the Iron Throne is dealt with, you will be able to lead a normal life, while I will embrace another mission, and my trials will last beyond the grave, which is not far away. After I die, there is nothing, unless you'd like to keep the moonblade as a souvenir of sorts. I have seen our kin die of grief after one of the lovers has passed away, and the bond between them has been broken. It must not happen to you. Ever.~
X#XANLT.TRA(1353): @1345 = ~Me, continuing to travel with you? Ha! I'll dump you as soon as I am done with the Iron Throne!~
X#XQXAN.tra(116): @115  = ~But what about the Iron Throne? If we fall here, many more will remain slaves... and Gorion's murderer will not be brought to justice.~
X#XZINT.tra(10): @9	= ~As for you, <CHARNAME>, know that our common enemy here is no less a foe than the Iron Throne. From their hall in the western part of the city they yet conspire against us all. Put an end to their heinous crimes, and your reward shall be the high favor of the Zhentarim.~
X#XZINT.tra(11): @10   = ~Your restraint, for one so young, is commendable, <CHARNAME>. At least, I hope it was restraint and not cowardice. Never mind. Go now and mete the same justice to the Iron Throne that we have delivered to the ... remains, there. And take the halfling with you, if you like.~
X#XZINT.tra(43): @42   = ~Eh?... that might play... Of course! I shall report that we came here and found them in this deplorable state. Our enemies must have done it! My genius has triumphed again! <CHARNAME>, to the Iron Throne!~
X#YEINT.tra(15): @14   = ~Your time is coming, Rieltar. The Iron Throne will not succeed!~
X#YEINT.tra(58): @57   = ~Let me stand awhile in silence to remember my kin. Let them rest in peace in their watery grave, with the Iron Throne dogs not disturbing 'em.~
Found 95 occurrence(s) in 28 file(s)

Should we track these and add the chaper references to their calling BAF entries? As far as I can tell, ever Xan reference has chapter checks, but I am checking all of them as I check the others. Should I do this, or work just on the two Branwen references?

Repaired D:\BaldursGateTutu\BG1NPC\Phase3\BRROM\BAF\P#BRROM.BAF:

/* In Candlekeep, Chapter 6 */
IF %BGT_VAR%
Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_6%)
Global("P#BranMatch","GLOBAL",1)
Global("P#BRLoveTalk1","GLOBAL",0)
AreaCheck("%Candlekeep_Ch6%")
InParty(Myself)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
See(Player1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
IncrementGlobal("P#BRLoveTalk1","GLOBAL",1)
END

still investigating the others.

Archived