Help!

Hello,

(Apologies for posting here - but I've tried posting at the Bg1Tutu forums and all I ever got after submitting my post was "cannot find server", regardless of how often I tried or which computers I used -may be due to lack of bandwidth or something):-

Anyway, I've been playing BG1, BG1Tutu and BG2:TOB for years with no problems. However, in the last year and a half or so I've been unable to play through a game of BG1Tutu - always got a CTD(crash-to-desktop) on the first night after starting chapter 3, no matter what I did. After checking, I remembered that in the last few times I'd tried to download the first BG1 disc (in order to then prepare for a BG1Tutu installation), I'd always come across a message stating that I did not have enough space for the installation - it would always state on the screen (on the elfthand side) that I needed c.2000+ MB of space but, on the righthand side it would state that I had only 1361 MB available. Up till now, I'd always ignored the message, as my computer, after checking, has always had in excess of 25 gigabytes free at any time, so that I assumed that the message was an error, and proceeded with a standard Tutu-version4 installation before eventually encountering that bug in chapter 3. This time, however, I used EasyTutu, as I'd read that it was more bug-free, and it wouldn't allow me to proceed with the installation, as it said that certain files were missing. The 4 files in question were:-

BaldursGate\MovieCD3.bif

BaldursGate\Data\AREA4100.bif

BaldursGate\Data\AREA4300.bif

BaldursGate\Data\AREA550X.bif

Anyway, hoping it would work, I tried transferring those 4 files from the Baldur's Gate CD, but this only worked for the AREA4100.bif file, and, presumably, copyright protection on the disc prevented the others from being downloaded. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me either how to get round the copyright protection so as to be able to transfer the 4 needed files or, better still, if they can tell me how to trick or alter the Baldur's Gate-setup-engine or my computer?) into thinking that I do indeed have enough space for the Baldur's Gate installation - ( I ought to mention that this "lack of space" problem only exists for the Baldur's Gate installation - other games, including BG2:TOB were all installed perfectly without any problems, and without that message appearing.Also, I tried defragmenting my computer-files in case that was the problem, but the EasyTutu installation had the same issue yet again, after this).

Thanks for any help,

Strontium Dog

The BG1 install has had the "not enough space" problem forever - just ignore it and install onwards if you know you have enough. I was not aware of BG having any sort of copy protection, and am unsure why you'd have trouble copying over the files. I just busted out my disks and the movie off CD3 and the areas from CD2 copied over fine. Perhaps your disk is scratched/defective in those areas?

I did, however, have a friend whose game would always pester him for Disk 3 when he entered Cloakwood, even though he did a full install, and then wouldn't load when he inserted the disk - it turned out he didn't have AREA2200 for some reason, and his problems went away when I sent him mine.

Without AREA4100, the files come to about 30mb all rar'ed up, so if you can't get it working I might be able to host it on my crappy webspace.

Just sorted out my problem re missing data by cleaning my 2 Baldur's Gate discs with that machine I mentioned. I then tried EasyTutu and it no longer mentioned any missing files, which was great - trouble is, after that, it wouldn't allow me to download it as my version was from the UK, not the US- the EasyTutu FAQ had misleadingly claimed that it(EasyTutu) must be downloaded instead of the Tutu version-4 download ,if you had any English version of BG1 installed.

Does anyone know when or even if) easyTutu will ever be modified to include UK versions of Baldur's Gate? I'm happy to carry on with the Tutu version-4 game for now - it's just that I've been told that EasyTutu is less buggy than the former, and would prefer to use it in future.

-SD-

When you say "download" I'm guessing you mean "install." As far as I know, EasyTutu should work on the UK distributions, or a lot of other folks would've complained by now. Then again, maybe they have, but there are a lot of folks from the UK into EasyTutu modding. The only real difference between the two versions I'm aware of is the video format (PAL vs. NTSC). Even the spelling is US English in both versions. So I don't know why it wouldn't work. But the best thing to do is ask Macready about it in the EasyTutu forum.

As an afterthought, this may be a patching issue. Or possibly you are trying to install the SoA version when you really need the ToB version of EasyTutu (or vice versa). Did you install the latest, correct patch for both your BG1 and BG2 games before trying to install Tutu?

As an afterthought, this may be a patching issue. Or possibly you are trying to install the SoA version when you really need the ToB version of EasyTutu (or vice versa). Did you install the latest, correct patch for both your BG1 and BG2 games before trying to install Tutu?

I'd done pretty much as EasyTutu requested. I installed the Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast patch(UK version=5512 last I checked) for BG1 and I also installed the two Baldur's Gate Throne of Bhaal official patches 2498 and 2499 for BG2. I deliberately didn't install the gametextupdates for either BG1 or BG2, beforehand, as I'd been told that they weren't necessary and shouldn't be installed. And I then installed the EasyTutu:TOB version - not the SOA one. Could the 2499 beta patch be an issue? It's always recommended as part of the official patch, but maybe EasyTutu ignores it.

I also, prior, to using the EasyTutu, installed the Felipe mod onto BG1 (the mod gives alternate locations for all but four of the NPCs) - oh, and I also downloaded the BG1 Vault(for Tutu) mod into BG1. I know EasyTutu said not to add BG1-type mods before switching, but I figured that the alternate-locations mod wouldn't alter the game to any real extent,and the BG1 Vault mod is, after all, Tutu-adapted so I figured they would work. I think(though,not really sure) that I checked using EasyTutu without having those two mods installed, but that it failed.

*Sigh* I suppose I'll have to uninstall the massive number of mods etc. and start all over again, checking if easyTutu might work on a totally unmodded BG1.

Could the 2499 beta patch be an issue?
Yeah, it's possible.
*Sigh* I suppose I'll have to uninstall the massive number of mods etc. and start all over again, checking if easyTutu might work on a totally unmodded BG1.
That is probably the best idea. I'm not familiar with this "Felipe" mod but the Vault is not compatible, though some folks might be looking into it. It does some funky stuff to your BG1 install, which might throw EasyTutu a curveball it can't handle. Best to use a clean, patched, unmodded install, then mod it afterwards with Tutu/WeiDU-compatible mods. As for alternate NPC locations, you can get that in the BG1 NPC Project and maybe also BG2 Tweaks and Sword Coast Stratagems (I forget which mod does which) all available on this site.

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, I'd also recommend this thread as far as Tutu and mods.

Could the 2499 beta patch be an issue?
Yeah, it's possible.

Yes, I suspected it was the 2499 patch as it's, in theory, only a Beta-patch. However, I've used it 1000s of times for my BG2 games, and I've never had an issue with it, per se - and it's very useful for reducing load-times, so it's a real shame it's not accepted for EasyTutu.

Anyway, I tried installing again without the beta-patch and without the Vault/Felipe mods and it appears to have worked fine. Just hope my load-times aren't too heavily affected.

Archived