DRAGON_SILENCE

spin692, DRAGON_SILENCE, has only one ability header with a minimum level of 20. All dragons with this spell scripted are > level 20 and they appear to be a spellcasting class (the spell works AFAICT). Is this something worth fixing? Anyone see potential issues?

It's a spell with one header, so the type doesn't even matter - it's "default to lowest", not "nothing happens".

It would matter if we were adding additional headers under the assumption that dragons are a spellcasting class.

Actually, I tried it earlier with ForceSpell() for Abdel. Nothing happened. It also has a touch range, making it worthless for Spell() or SpellNoDec(). More investigation is warranted.

It's a spell with one header, so the type doesn't even matter - it's "default to lowest", not "nothing happens".
Bullshit. I can see right through your Nythrevisionism. "Innate spells only check level" does not mean "the spell will default to the only ability regardless of level by class." And I say, too bad it's a priest spell, smartypants. :p
That's great if fighters fail to Forcespell priest spells in your game. I've never seen that happen.
This is the only priest spell (the only used spell) without a min level of 1 for the first ability. Changing from 20 to 1 causes it to function normally. I can't explain it either without further testing, which is why I posted my results from the brief test.

I tire of this dance. Goodbye.
It was supposed to be good for a chuckle, not to offend. Apologies if it did.
So, Kyshrun and devDing0, is there anything to fix here or not? :help:

Several things:

• Kish's sense of honor is much offended.
  • Nythrun needs to double check spell types. Also she's probably crazy.
  • devSin is not allowed to change his mind about "there's no bug here".
  • SimDing0...was probably talking to his phallus and didn't notice. (Be taunted into updating your mods plz)

Seriously though. I don't think spin.* should ever be a type other than innate (I'm pretty sure I changed that locally) but I don't know what all that breaks beyond some triggers that aren't used in the default game scripts.

Casting is tracked by LOCALS and not level drain, so the extended header really ought to be minimum level one.

It looks like a shoddy copy of the last header of sppr211.spl to me (including the 80 range).

Love to stay for the real argument, but I've got a date. Bye :)

Seriously though. I don't think spin.* should ever be a type other than innate (I'm pretty sure I changed that locally) but I don't know what all that breaks beyond some triggers that aren't used in the default game scripts.
In theory. In practice, they adopted whatever spell they copied from; there's plenty of mage and priest spells, and even some Unknown(3) psionics.

The fix here is to set the first-level ability to Level 1. This shouldn't have any impact on the normal game (I don't think I've seen dragons fail to cast silence before), but I consider on the same level as scriptable spells.

Interesting find that the first ability needs a correct level in any case.

// dragon_silence's lowest level header should be level 1, not 20
COPY_EXISTING ~spin692.spl~ ~override~
 READ_LONG  0x64 "abil_off"
 READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num"
 PATCH_IF ("%abil_num%" != 0) BEGIN
WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x10) 1 // set to level 1
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

To the BatArchives!

Archived