Dynaheir Romance doesn't start (timer doesn't move)

Ieldra

I've checked the guide, and as far as I can see, all conditions are fulfilled: I am a CG human, WIS and INT are above 10 and party reputation is 14.

But nothing happens. I played on for three hours or so before I checked the timers and noticed they don't move. Is there any other condition that needs to be fulfilled?

Global variables with regard to Dynaheir are as follows:

X#CHECKDYNAHMATCH 1

X#DJROMANCEABDUCTION 2511211

X#DYLOVETALK 1

X#DYLOVETALKTIME 617889

X#DYNAHEIRROMANCEACTIVE 1

X#DYNAHMATCH 1

X#DYNAJOURNAL 9

X#DYQUPARTYALONE 2

X#DYREACTIONTIME 567017

X#DYREACTIONTIMERSET 1

I'd appreciate any help. I can set the timer to 0 manually, and then the first love talk will activate, but the reset timer still won't move after that.

- Are you playing the version from G3 page, or an internal beta from cmorgan's page?

- Is your protagonist male currently? (gender belt comes to mind, too)

- Did you have "Dost thou miss Candlekeep" talk - and in any case, what is CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DyFriendTalk","GLOBAL") value?

- What is the value of CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#DynaheirRomanceInactive","GLOBAL")?

- Are you romancing Branwen or Shar-Teel?

- Are you playing the version from G3 page, or an internal beta from cmorgan's page?

I never downloaded from anywhere else but G3. This is a file named "BG1NPC-v12Beta3.exe", apparently a version from 10/2006 judged from the file dates.

- Is your protagonist male currently? (gender belt comes to mind, too)

No, I didn't use the gender belt and my protagonist is male

- Did you have "Dost thou miss Candlekeep" talk - and in any case, what is CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DyFriendTalk","GLOBAL") value?

DYFRIENDTALK IS 2, and I had this talk. Hmm, I just noticed DYFRIENDTALKTIME also doesn't move.

- What is the value of CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#DynaheirRomanceInactive","GLOBAL")?

There is no such global variable.

- Are you romancing Branwen or Shar-Teel?

Neither is in my party, or has ever been.

Okay, everything seems to be fine with your game, then. So... try this:

1) Please, create a save game backup.

2) After you have done it, try

CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(999999)

(wait a few seconds)

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("X#DYLoveTalkTime","GLOBAL",1)

(wait a few seconds)

Either of these should help... I think.

Okay, everything seems to be fine with your game, then. So... try this:

1) Please, create a save game backup.

2) After you have done it, try

CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(999999)

(wait a few seconds)

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("X#DYLoveTalkTime","GLOBAL",1)

(wait a few seconds)

Either of these should help... I think.

OK. Here's what happened:

The first one resulted in a repeat of the "missing Candlekeep" talk, immediately followed by another banter, but still no love talk. The second resulted in the correct first love talk. So I'll continue from the second option.

I still have the suspicion that this problem won't disappear. If that happens, I'll be back. BTW, what's the time unit for the timers? I set a 60 minute timer for all romances when installing the NPC Project - which means the new value of about 1600000 for Dynaheir's love talk timer should somehow translate into 60 minutes... Does it?

Mmm. I'd advise you not to mess with the timers whenever possible. I rather hope everything proceed smoothly, and that you don't have to do anything of the kind again.

However, I am not sure what and how everything happens in the version on G3 mirror - you see, a few months ago a new internal beta was out, with cmorgan and berelinde recoding everything. I was recoding the romance part, and, naturally, as I tested it, it worked quite well - but it's different from how it worked before. I hope it will be released soon, for all our sakes - I know cmorgan and folks are doing everything for this to happen.

However, I am not sure what and how everything happens in the version on G3 mirror - you see, a few months ago a new internal beta was out, with cmorgan and berelinde recoding everything. I was recoding the romance part, and, naturally, as I tested it, it worked quite well - but it's different from how it worked before. I hope it will be released soon, for all our sakes - I know cmorgan and folks are doing everything for this to happen.

Did you test with the standard timer? I get the impression that the banter timers and the romance timers for the same NPC may interfere with each other - or why else did I get two Dynaheir banters instead of a love talk when advancing global time, but the correct love talk when resetting the timer? In that case, the problem may be the combination of the accelerated banter script with romance timers set too high.

So, if things won't go as they should, I'll reset Dynaheir's romance timer to 30 minutes (may be best anyway with that many events in the romance), trigger another love talk manually and hope that will be enough...

Kulyok suggested a good recoding idea to stop oddities like this from happening. Then she, berelinde, and I did a complete recode of the project, top to bottom, making it much harder for this kind of "stackup" of materials happen. In essence, the way to play with BG1 NPC before the recode was to continually check in with everyone in your party via the Player-Initiated-Dialogues; under the recode this is not realy necessary any more - if something doesn't trigger immediately, it will very soon after.

The behavior with a "timer" is actually the opposite of what you expect! The timer doesn't count down; it takes current (game or real, depending on the timer) time as a value and adds a number to it. Then when the game/real clock catches up to it, it becomes "expired" (=0 or =-some number). So those timer numbers do not change. It is kind of like setting a goal for swimming by tossing a bouy out, then swimmin towards it.

If you keep having the problem, the first thing to do is to ids force-click on Dynaheir, and any states that are held "hanging in queue" will play; eventually, you will get to Dynaheir's regular PIDs and have cleared out everything.

This is not needed on the internal. We will kep pushing to try to get things out the door for you folks.

Archived