"Evil" Mod

Allvaldr

Hi.

So I got a few questions for you all.

First off, it has been ages since I last played BGI/BGII, but I began again a short while ago ... and I found something out that surprised me. Wow. There are mods for these games? Great.

I found out there were several mods out there that added BGI NPCs back into BGII for example. Awesome! Too bad I couldn't find one for my favorite NPC ever, Shar-Teel.

The mod I plan to make would be something like this:

1) Bring back Shar-Teel. My main priority. MAYBE even write a romance that continues along the lines of the BGI Shar-Teel romance mod.

2) Put Shar-Teel in Irenicus's dungeon so she starts at the protagonist's side.

3) Move Minsc and Jaheira out of the beginning dungeon, I never partied with them in BGI, in fact in half of my games I end up killing Minsc. It makes no sense that they are part of my party in the beginning of BGII. Also change all Minsc/Jaheira dialogues on how their partners died. Possibly even acknowledge that the player killed Dynaheir. Maybe have Minsc hunt the party down or something.

4) Put another evil BGI companion in the dungeon to make up for Jaheira ... I just can't think of which one. Tiax already returns in Spellhold. Montaron is supposed to be dead. Edwin already returns later also. Viconia already returns. Xzar dies. Safana is the only other NPC I used in BGI, but I don't think she would really fit an evil party (in BGI I used a happy-mod to keep her along)

5) Think of a solution for Imoen ... maybe make her evil because of Irenicus's tortures and alter her dialogues accordingly. I never partied with her in BGI either, but I think to completely remove her from BGII would be impossible without making it a total conversion. The entire storyline depends on her.

6) Maybe change the outcome of the Harper quest so Xzar is recruitable again.

So here's my questions:

- I've made mods in the past for SL, GTA3/VC/SA, Sims/Sims2, NWN, NWN2 ... is making mods for the Infinity Engine harder than those, or comparable?

- The mod I describe, would that be hard for a new Infinity Engine modder like me to make?

- What would be a reasonable time for a new modder to create a mod like this? Half a year would be my uneducated guess, but I'm just throwing a random number around here. Consider I'm still in college, which gives me tons of spare time.

- Would anyone except me be interested in playing a mod like that? Or are people happy enough to play BGII continuing the goody-two-shoes 'canon' BGI story?

I'd recommend making a small, throwaway mod first, to get your feet wet so to speak. Have a waukeen's promenade commoner run at you, start talking, then metamorphose into a squirrel and run away, for example.

Then start doing your NPC mod proper. I'm certain people would like to see the result, me included. Jump into it, it's been observed to be possible in a few months from no modding knowledge if you keep at it :)

I'd recommend making a small, throwaway mod first, to get your feet wet so to speak. Have a waukeen's promenade commoner run at you, start talking, then metamorphose into a squirrel and run away, for example.

Then start doing your NPC mod proper. I'm certain people would like to see the result, me included. Jump into it, it's been observed to be possible in a few months from no modding knowledge if you keep at it :)

Yeah, that's a good idea actually. :) I think I'll do that to learn how to use the tools available.

Well, NeverEnding Journey does bring Shar-Teel to BG2. But the mod itself isn't for everyone's taste (certainly not for mine), and has lots of compatibility problems. I don't really know if NeJ's Shar is developed to banter/interject in areas other than those added by the mod. But she is definitely put in the very beginning of BG2, in the cell near Charname's :)

Well, NeverEnding Journey does bring Shar-Teel to BG2. But the mod itself isn't for everyone's taste (certainly not for mine), and has lots of compatibility problems. I don't really know if NeJ's Shar is developed to banter/interject in areas other than those added by the mod. But she is definitely put in the very beginning of BG2, in the cell near Charname's :)

Any idea where these mods can be found?

NEJ is hosted at the Black Wyrm Lair modding site: http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showforum=9

- What would be a reasonable time for a new modder to create a mod like this? Half a year would be my uneducated guess, but I'm just throwing a random number around here. Consider I'm still in college, which gives me tons of spare time.

Uhm, depends on how fast you write. While some authors, like Kulyok can write very fast and can develop a BG2 NPC to the current modding standard (ie foull firendship path, loads of interjections, plenty of banter with other NPCs, a romance, scenery talks, voicing, a quest), mostly it takes people 1 year or more to do one NPC from ground up.

If you modded NWN2, you will find IE much more simple, I think, but conceptually different.

Whom you might want to contact then is Cliffette. She was working on Shar-Teel - BG2 some time ago, and while she removed herself from modding, and some of her materials went into BG1NPC, she might be interested in having someone enthusiastic to re-start the project.

Whom you might want to contact then is Cliffette. She was working on Shar-Teel - BG2 some time ago, and while she removed herself from modding, and some of her materials went into BG1NPC, she might be interested in having someone enthusiastic to re-start the project.

Alright :)

Thanks.

By sunday I hope I've made a test mod, and figured out how to use the tools, so that I can get a taste of it, see if it's doable for me. And if next week I'm still convinced that I'll make a BGII Shar-Teel, I'll contact her.

I loved what BG1NPC did with Shar-Teel ^_^

Archived