Interaction between romance and friendship path

DavidW

... so we've been playing with Gavin in the party, and gradually it's dawned on us that he's not Raven's type. Not his fault at all [and in no way a writing criticism!] but she's going to have to let him down gently...

...which he does, and he takes it very sweetly - but then he seems to have forgotten the whole of the conversation so far, and he has "friendship talks" which overlap an awful lot with his lovetalks.

Possibly this is a fairly rare problem (I get the impression most people commit to a romance in advance and then run with it), but it would be nice if there could be slightly more integration? Obviously it's totally impossible to do this 100%, but could those romance dialogs with substantial content overlap with friendship dialogs put down a global that gets checked by the latter to stop them firing?

Having said all this, I'm deliberately avoiding looking at Gavin's code so as not to spoil the fun, so possibly it's impossible on technical grounds - I wouldn't know.

Lovely mod, btw. We're having a lot of fun with him. (though not, alas, the kind of fun he was hoping for. Life is harsh.)

Hmmm. Yeah, I haven't seen this one, but I'm glad you found it, because it makes sense for him not to ask the PC why she's adventuring if they've already gotten to know each other. I can include checks that will advance the friendship portion once certain benchmark lovetalks are reached, should the romance be terminated.

The friendship track is pretty straightforward dialogue code. It's easy enough to just advance the global to some other odd number. I'll put it on my to-do list.

And thanks!

Didn't want to start another topic, so please forgive me for going a little bit OT :) Still, I hope, not so much OT.

If I understand correctly, during romance sequence PC learns that Gavin has a child. But does this happen during friendship sequence? Because when Gavin casually mentions his child in banter with Coran (after Coran rejecting Namara) my PC was all "huh?" - she thought Gavin was on better terms with her than with Coran so learning about his child in such a way was a little bit strange :) She even couldn't question Gavin about it.

He does, but not until the end of the game, unless Jaheira is in the party. Will add a separate talk to cover that, though, and possibly a PID option as well.

He doesn't talk about his family situation until he's on quite good terms with the PC, but if he's talking about it with Coran, yeah, he should talk about it with the PC.

He does, but not until the end of the game,

I've finished the game, didn't break the friendship (I think, although I may be mistaken - what should be the number for friendship's variable?) and still he said nothing :) Also, in chapters 6 and 7 I didn't get any talks - only those scenery-related (Candlekeep and Temple of Bhaal, and those were... too short, if they could be called talks at all). Is it all right or no?

The Candlekeep friendship talk might be expanded a bit, but the Temple of Bhaal one won't be. At that point in the game, everything is moving toward the confrontation, which he needs to acknowlege, but he doesn't need to derail the plot.

He is supposed to talk about his family in his Chapter 6 friendship talk. He doesn't go into a lot of detail, because it's a very sensitive subject for him.

It's possible that you may have said something that ended the friendship, if you didn't get those talks. What is the value of B!GavinFriend? What is the value of B!GavinChapter6? B!GavinChapter7? B!GavinChapter8?

The talk that's supposed to happen after Duke Eltan gives the PC the book to get into Candlekeep begins with:

@940 = ~I'm sorry for picking such a bad time to bring this up, but we're getting to the point where I can keep my past a secret no longer.~

The talk that's supposed to happen after Tethoril teleports the party into the catacombs begins:

@972 = ~Be careful, my friend. These catacombs are unwholesome. Believe nothing you see.~

(Jeez, is this a spoiler, or what? I'm going to expand on this so it doesn't sound like such a transparent plot device. It was intended to allow Gavin to relate a story about a time he got lost in a crypt and almost ran into a pack of undead.)

Archived