Info Trigger Text Patching

erebusant

When patching a new info trigger into an area, what is the proper way to insert the info text in the 0x64 line? The only examples I've found use the number of a string reference, however the string reference I want to use doesn't exist in the game yet.

PATCH_IF (info_1=1) BEGIN //adding new info trigger *******************************

SET offset = ("%infotrig_offset%"+0xc4*"%infotrig_num%")

INSERT_BYTES offset 0xc4

WRITE_ASCII offset ~Tran0602~

WRITE_SHORT (offset+0x20) 1 //info trigger

WRITE_SHORT (offset+0x22) 2101 //bounding box

WRITE_SHORT (offset+0x24) 1661 //bounding box

WRITE_SHORT (offset+0x26) 2557 //bounding box

WRITE_SHORT (offset+0x28) 1917 //bounding box

WRITE_SHORT (offset+0x2a) 5 //vertices number

WRITE_LONG (offset+0x2c) "%vert_num%" //first vertex index

WRITE_LONG (offset+0x34) 34 //cursor frame number

WRITE_ASCII (offset+0x38) ~~ //destination area

WRITE_ASCII (offset+0x40) ~~ //entrance name

WRITE_LONG (offset+0x60) 0 //party required flag

WRITE_LONG (offset+0x64) ~~ //info text

WRITE_ASCII (offset+0x7c) ~None~ //script

SET "infotrig_num"="%infotrig_num%"+1

WRITE_SHORT 0x5a "%infotrig_num%"

END

New strings should always be inputted using SAY. SAY writes the long type value to the file and creates, if necessary, the appropriate reference in dialog.tlk.

SAY %myOffset% ~bla~

SAY %myOffset% @123

Never WRITE_ASCII for strings. Here, you physically write the string to your file. You don't want this... :)

New strings should always be inputted using SAY. SAY writes the long type value to the file and creates, if necessary, the appropriate reference in dialog.tlk.

SAY %myOffset% ~bla~

SAY %myOffset% @123

Never WRITE_ASCII for strings. Here, you physically write the string to your file. You don't want this... :)

Well I obviously have this one completely misinterpreted and fouled up with the following line:

SAY (offset+0x64) @1 //info text

It writes without choking, but it doesn't write what my .tra file says,,, :)

SAY %myOffset% ~bla~

SAY %myOffset% @123

Well I obviously have this one completely misinterpreted and fouled up with the following line:

It writes without choking, but it doesn't write what my .tra file says,,, :)

It won't write what your .tra file says. What your .tra file says will be written into dialog.tlk, and a numerical reference to what your .tra file says will be written in the file. Does it look correct in NI?

SAY %myOffset% ~bla~

SAY %myOffset% @123

It writes without choking, but it doesn't write what my .tra file says,,, ;)

It won't write what your .tra file says. What your .tra file says will be written into dialog.tlk, and a numerical reference to what your .tra file says will be written in the file. Does it look correct in NI?

Why yes! As a matter of fact, once I finished doing stupid stuff like testing the .tp2 in one directory and viewing the patched file with an instance of NI in a different installation directory, it does say what I want it to say,,, :) Sorry for the confusion. The strref for the patched info point is also now the final strref in my dialog.tlk :)

Archived