Alignment shift?

JPS

:D  I really hate to bring up such an old topic, but I really wanted to ask something. If you do offer a chance to change Haer'Dalis's alignment, could you do so even if you do not romance him (pretty please!)? Haer'Dalis is probobly my second favorite character (beaten only by Minsc), but I hate his alignment!

Well, we probably won't touch his alignment at all, so I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you.

Just out of curiosity; why don't you like his alignment? Do you think that it doesn't suit him (I have that problem with Jaheira, who clearly wants my character to act good but starts to complain when my reputation gets too high...) or do you just dislike "chaotic neutral"?

PS: JPS, do you remember Curious HD Fan from the UB board? You probobly don't, but in anycase that was me  :D  !

I do now :D

Just out of curiosity; why don't you like his alignment? Do you think that it doesn't suit him (I have that problem with Jaheira, who clearly wants my character to act good but starts to complain when my reputation gets too high...) or do you just dislike "chaotic neutral"?

I dislike Jaheira's TN alignment as well. I prefer romancing her, but the true neutralness just doesn't make sense.

As for Haer'Dalis's CN alignment, when I first got him to join my party I didn't notice it until around a week of playing (on my second time through). It startled me, becouse the first chaotic neutral NPC I think of is Jan. Jan is clearly a bit insane, and while many people will say HD is also insane, he displayed no proof of this until around Suldenessalar (sp?). So since then I have disliked his alignment. Sounds strange, doesn't it? Oh well...it makes sense to me at least.

Well, as I've said more than a couple of times now, I don't really like alignments, so any argument against them is likely to make sense to me :D

That said, I don't necessarily see "chaotic neutral is the alignment of madmen" as necessarily meaning "all chaotic neutral characters are insane". Some of them are, perhaps, independent, freedom-loving people who don't care much for either good or evil. Like Haer'Dalis...

If you still have a problem with it, try pretending that his alignment isn't there. That's what I do all the time.

I don't know if CN character would have to be insane by definition. They might tend to be so, or at least to seem so to their more lawful companions, but I don't think they absolutely have to be insane. After all that depends how you determine if someone is insane or not.

To me Haer is the very embodiment of CN character, but of course not the only example of that kind.

Jaheira's alignment seems odd to me too, but sorting people on nine rather artificial groups is not always a simple task. Not to mention it sometimes seems rather pointless. :D

-Meira

I'm also in agreement that alignments are more like guidelines, not to set a character in stone. For example, I've a very concrete idea on the tiefling Inara, who is CN, and while she's not insane, that alignment fits her better than the others for various reasons.

Besides, I think of the characters the way I want them, assign an appropriate alignment because it's standard, then do what i like :D

Archived