RE for BG1

ALien

We've talked about it in the original thread, and the answer is "no" so far, at least for the time being. I mean, everyone is free to start their own, different, project - though, of course, it being a different project, I'll appreciate it if they do it under a different name.

I think I prefer to do other things for the moment, though, and I'll explain why. First, the download count: it matters if it's a hundred people a month, or one thousand; Tutu/BGT mods, with the exception of monsters like BG1 NPC project and BG2 Tweaks, are not as popular as BG2 ones - and even then, Kelsey or Ascension IS more popular than BG1 NPC.

Second, the primary appeal of making RE for BG2(speaking for myself only, of course) was expanding the much-beloved, well-known and interesting non-joinable characters: Aran, Renal, Busya, Lord Coprith, Ribald, Weathermistress Ada, Coran, and so on. BG1, sadly, lacks these characters(again, in my opinion), though I do not doubt the authors do not lack fantasy. :thumbsup: Of course, there are lovely and new characters, like Laran, and it can be done for BG1, as well.

Finally, enthusiasm - as I said before, it wasn't met with enthusiasm or interest in the original thread, and I concur.

BG1, sadly, lacks these characters(again, in my opinion), ..

Agreed.. That's one of the reasons for BG1 being disliked compared to BG2 (by some players, at least).

Аnd that's why giving BG1 characters more depth would greatly improve player's expirience - like BG1NPC did with joinable NPCs.

Well, I'd argue that "and now let's get it on" can't give much depth to the character, however good(or bad) it may be. A dinner with Aran doesn't give him more - it underlines what we already know, and hints there's more to it. An encounter with Renal in itself is just a wild night with a man we have no idea about - it's the fact that we know it's Renal, the ruthless guildmaster, that gives this encounter edge. Bjornin plays on nostalgia and does it well, but without that quest in BG1, it just wouldn't work.

A romantic encounter can add to the character, but not develop him anew, I think. Especially if we're given a one-dimensional three-lines portrayal, the one most BG1 characters have. Unless, of course, we make him a joinable character with a romance to boot, in which case I refer you to Angelo, here.

Well, I wasn't talking about romantic encounters only.. there are, of course, other ways to detail certain characters. I just like nonstandart ways - not some fed/ex quest, or implementing character into some NPC storiline, or something like that.. And making each promising character a joinable NPC doesn't seem to be a good idea either ;)

RE mod just showed me how it could be done - light and short, but at the same time interesting interactions..

As for Angelo mod - thanks, i'll definetely try it on my next BG2 run :thumbsup:

Well, I wasn't talking about romantic encounters only.. there are, of course, other ways to detail certain characters. I just like nonstandart ways - not some fed/ex quest, or implementing character into some NPC storiline, or something like that.. And making each promising character a joinable NPC doesn't seem to be a good idea either :thumbsup:

Ah. Well. A very good idea, definitely - but very much outside of this mod's scope. By the way, jastey's BG Mini-Quests and Encounters are may be worth visiting for you, then. She is also a RE author, by the way.

Assassinations, too, weave stories around (completely new) BG2 characters - only, of course, often in a tragic way.

Archived