Romances in BG1

icelus

Well, it was a very interesting poll, and thank you to all who voted and discussed the issue.

Firstly, it will be very interesting to see if we will see a shift in opinions after the mod is released. That, if anyone will play it, lol.

The general interest in the poll however gives us an indication that an expansion featuring BG1 romances will be a welcome one.

So, here are some of my thoughts for the future, and as always everything is open for a discussion. Please note however, that the discussion is futuristic at this stage and tentative.

Female Romances:

“Leading Femalesâ€Â

Branwen: seems to be the strongest candidate for a new romance and really, an obvious choice. Since Karkodin has left the project we will need to find a new writer for the romance. Basically we would not want anyone to do work which will not end up in the mod, but if anyone is interested - a proposal for peer review may be a good way to go. A proposal is a skeleton of the romance, with minimum of 18 topics for the lovetalks and one sample lovetalk. The writing style and Branwen’s personality will have to match this of Karakodin’s banters.

Dynaheir: A major surprise for me, really. I thought mine would be the only vote. If there will be continuing demand after the release of the mod for the romance with Dynaheir, it can be done.

Viconia: If Dan is willing to make a prequel to the BG2 romance and settle the issues of continuity it can be a very interesting option.

“Females with Potentialâ€Â

Alora, Imoen, Safana, Skie - can be developed if a respective Czar/ina is interested providing the continuing demand after release of the mod for the romantic option.

“Leading Malesâ€Â

Xan: I think that the great interest in the character is a warm and  encouraging incentive for Than to finish Xan’s banters. Indeed, it can be an interesting, if tragic option.

Kivan: At present the mod has relatively large amount of PC conversations (8) with unique options for a female PC. I think tender friendship is more in character than a romantic romance. Unless the PC is Deheriana...but than the story becomes extremely complicated

Edwin: if Merja will be interested in developing the adorably evil and witty Edwin into a romantic option it be a very interesting option.

“Males with Potentialâ€Â

Coran, Garrick, Ajantis - can be developed if a respective Czar/ina is interested providing the continuing demand after release of the mod for the romantic option. Though I have a suspicion that Merja will prefer to create Edwin’s

My suggestion would be, for now, at least, to avoid writing any romances with major BG2 players. I'd include Viconia, Imoen, Minsc, Edwin, and Jaheira from this list. Branwen and Xan would be the romanceable NPCs of choice, for three reasons:

1) They make no *in-game* appearances in BG2 (unlike Coran, Safana, Khalid, Ajantis, Xzar, Montaron, Garrick, Quayle, Tiax, Faldorn, and Dynaheir)

2) They are not under the influence of any other romantic relationships (Kivan, Jaheira, Khalid)

3) Who better than to guide you through playing BG2 than your old flames, Xan and Branwen (the BG2 tutorial...)

Just a thought. ;)

If you do write a romance for Xan and Branwen (I'm very supportive of a Xan romance, though Alora seems like a better choice for a female one), I suggest you make the PC and the romance interest break up at the end, so that it'll make sense for them not reappear in SoA.
I would disagree with exclusion "because they are in BG2" for one reason: each BG game is its own reality. In BG2 BioWARE itself broke continuity by a number of twists, such as:

"forcing" the group memebers on you in the beginning.

dc-ing Imoen, making her your sister,

unexplainably placing Viconia and Edwin both killed by PC in BG1 in Amn

changing Gorion/Alliana's story

changing Jaheira's stats

making these endless strangely coincedental cameos with BG1 characters (how on earth cleric-thief Tiax ended in the Spellhold which suppose to contain MAGES still eludes me)

So I will rather treat BG1 as a separate entity, and if we are to include romances - it is better that they do not have the foreshadowings of BG2 events.

Again, I would like to emphasise that romances are not being developped at this time for this mod, and are only discussed as the Phase III proposal.

I like Icelus's points on this. Two NPCs that don't make an appearance (besides some modded appearances by my man Xan. ) make a little more sense. While more and more options are a wunderbar option, the continuity for some of these would just be hard and to do Vicci or Immy especially so.

But Branwen and Xan make great subjects. No continuity issues other than what happened to them and two interesting subjects.

Interesting stuff... esp with tutu out....

unexplainably placing Viconia and Edwin both killed by PC in BG1 in Amn

;)

Just to make a quick point - I can and I usually do import my BG1 chars into BG2, so it's really not possible to look at it as a seperate entity. I'd tend to agree with the point that icelus makes. Look, if you'd write a Viconia romance for BG1 and it would be the only one, I would probably choose to play it. But I always choose to play Jaheira's romance in BG2 and then it becomes rather awkward to have Viconia in the party, wouldn't you agree?

Anyways, just my two cents.

In your example, Theodur, I will suggest either:

a) to role-play break up with Viconia in one of her early love-talks in order to console Jaheira

B ) continue to romance Viconia

both options are perfectly acceptable and logical.

a) to role-play break up with Viconia in one of her early love-talks in order to console Jaheira

The credibility of this option depends on how far you take Viconia's romance in BG1. For example if it ends with PC and Viconia becoming a stable couple, not only it makes little sense to break up in start of BG2, it also compromises the tale that Viconia tells you in one of her first lovetalks - her bying the house in Beregost and being raped by her neighbours. That's not quite possible if she and PC stay together...

However... if BG1 romance was to end with them breaking up... now, that would make a bit more sense.

The break-up/parting is no less realistic behind the scene. If you enter the last battle with Sarevok in romance it does not mean that Viconia or any other romance partner was pleased to stay in Baldur's Gate with the PC.

She or he could have simply dumped him or her and went on his/her own way. Or he or she simply was not travelling at the time of the attack with PC being engaged elsewhere, sick or scouting ahead or waiting to meet in some designated place. After a while the rumors had it that PC died/mysteriously dissapeared - and voila! the romantic partner never managed to find PC in Amn and is either doing his own thing or is desperately searching for PC.

Conclusion: it is not necessary to have all BG1 romances to have a dead-end in LT26.

Also there is always an option of a break-up through flirt-packs in modern IE romances. So if it fits your role-playing to break up with a romantic partner - any romantic partner - before BG2 it can be done painlessly and without forcing the break-up on all players.

In your example, Theodur, I will suggest either:

B ) continue to romance Viconia

both options are perfectly acceptable and logical.

or:

c) Try not breaking up with Viconna and watch both romances blow up in your face ;)

I would like to do an imoen romance as imo she would be the most obvious choice since in rpgs you try not to use your OOC knowledge. But as Domi said, it would be phase III if at all.

Just curious, what would the content of Viconia's romance in BG1 would be, then. After all, a huge part of the BG2 romance is that 'getting-to-know-each-other' phase.

You know, I'd actually written up a whole post about that earlier in the week. Unfortunately, I was about done and the power flickered. I was just a bit pissed ;) and didn't bother to rewrite. Until now! I'm gonna try to put this together quickly, so forgive me if I miss a lot of points. ;)

As far as a BG1 Viconia "romance" goes, I don't think we can expect anything close to the level of the SoA romance. That might go without saying, I know. In BG1 Viconia is not going to view CHARNAME as much beyond her protector and benefactor, to whom she owes her abilities and service. This relationship would be a bit sycophantic, and Viconia might have trouble distinguishing a relationship with CHARNAME from service to a Matron Mother. Note then that CHARNAME has considerable control over what shade this relationship takes on. In a dialog I've already written up, Viconia thanks CHARNAME for saving her life. CHARNAME can propose ... repayment ... in the way that he hears the drow are good for. Such a thing is not uncommon, after all. Think back to the story we hear in SoA about the Calimshan merchant. In that dialog, CHARNAME can also tell Vico that she's welcome, and is now a friend and member of the party, or he can simply tell her to get in line and do her work like the others.

So ... am I suggesting a branch in the romance path? A two-part deal chosen from the beginning? Possibly, although the paths wouldn't be mutually exclusive. No matter what CHARNAME does (unless he simply tells her to shut up, of course), most of the dialogs would have to be about Viconia getting accustomed to the surface. A female PC gets some of these dialogs, as well. That's the biggest thing for her in BG1, after all, is learning to get along in this strange world.

There will likely be several sycophantic plays for CHARNAME's favor, as I mentioned earlier. Viconia just can't help but slip back into that mentality of vying for the favor of the Matron. I highly, highly doubt that Viconia would dare spill her guts in BG1 about why she had to flee home. She would probably make up a story if the opportunity presented itself. She'd be more willing, I think, to tell the truth about what has happened since she's been away from home. Her conversion to Shar, her incident with the Calimshan merchant (yes, in which case we get some overlap with SoA), the question of whether she really is a murderer, as the Flaming Fist suggest, and so on.

So basically, a romance with Viconia wouldn't be much of a "romance" in the way we know and love them from BG2. It can be a sexual relationship from the get-go, but with no real attachment involved in the act. At this point in her life, Viconia will have absolutely no interest in a truly romantic escapade, a "forbidden love" with one from the surface world, in which she bares her soul and ... well, you know the deal if you've played SoA. In a potential BG1 "romance," CHARNAME would be, at the romantic best, her protector and guide, potentially a legitimate "friend" (a concept he would have to teach/show her) by the end of it all.

Not that I mean to scare you all away from the concept! I think it's a very appropriate buildup to the later BG2 romance. It will just be a whole different sort of thing. Sorry if this writeup is jumbled. I haven't had much time to organize it. ;)

Is it really such a good idea to add romance to the mod as well? The way I see it, BG1 is where the PC explores the world of advnturing for the first time, where s/he doesn't really have time for romance. Where as in BG2, the PC is more evolved and experienced, not to mention older, which would be a more ideal time for romance.

Also, it would seem as though all the romances possible for BG1 will HAVE to come to a tragic end, unless the writer takes it upon himself so it isn't, and goes off and codes a continuation for BG2.

An a slightly off topic note, hey! Xan has 15 votes, which is way the hell in the lead of any other male NPC... Wait, crap, that means MORE stuff to write...

Also, it would seem as though all the romances possible for BG1 will HAVE to come to a tragic end, unless the writer takes it upon himself so it isn't, and goes off and codes a continuation for BG2.

Argreed. I would be bit odd to have the love interest to just disapear between BG1 and SoA. And we cant really have too much tragedy and angst. ;)

Also if involving NPC's that you can have romance with in BG2 you really should have some stuff added to BG2 then as well, since at least some of us tend to take our chars all the way from BG1 to ToB.

-Meira

Is it really such a good idea to add romance to the mod as well? The way I see it, BG1 is where the PC explores the world of advnturing for the first time, where s/he doesn't really have time for romance. Where as in BG2, the PC is more evolved and experienced, not to mention older, which would be a more ideal time for romance.

Oh, I have a very similar impression to the idea. That's why I tend to think of it as more ... extended dialogs with the PC. It just seems that the situations surrounding both the potential romance NPCs and the PC himself (or herself) just aren't conducive to ... SoA style romances, as such.

But more specifically angled, pointed conversations with a PC, perhaps involving physical/romantic interest ... well sure, that makes enough sense for me.

Archived