A few things

Just played through with several other componants I hadn't realized I installed, and I noticed a few things:

Smarter Dragons:

Firkragg was perfect, and a very tough battle. However, the Shadow Dragon cast one or two buff spells and a remove magic, then went into melee after retreating to the bottom-right corner of the map. The Black Dragon, as well, cast a few spells, used his breath weapon, then went to melee only.

Smarter Beholders:

I never noticed them trying to steal the Cloak of Cheese from me, but their targetting is much improved, since they aren't mindlessly throwing cause serious wounds and lightning bolts at the Cloak of Mirrors anymore. Gauths, however, keep throwing lightning bolts every now and then.

One small thing, by the way, one of the Elder Orbs tried hitting me with a Flesh to Stone spell, which got reflected and actually managed to petrify the Elder Orb itself.

Smarter Fiends:

While overall it's a very well-made and welcome componant, I think vorpal blades for all the Balors was a little much. The one in the Underdark, for example, had a good chance to auto-kill party members and remove them from the party, making that (and the final fight with Irenicus) incredibly difficult.

Smarter Mind Flayers:

No problems, and they're much smarter (especially the Elder Brain, which managed to dispel Chaotic Commands, lol), my only question is are they removed or just retreating when they dimension door out? I kept expecting them to ambush me later on.

I thought the morale failure was a very nice touch, by the way (When one's almost dead, but the rest are doing well, forget the others, he's getting out of there).

I have to say, Improved De'Arnise Keep surprised me yet again, and this time I knew I installed it. First time going to open the gate with this mod installed, I expected an ice troll or maybe a normal troll, but ran into four trolls and two spirit trolls. This time I expected four trolls and two spirit trolls, and ran into this:

baldr002jr3.th.jpg

Though my ranger there had some fire arrows, the single spirit trolls first and only hit lowered me to 17 strength so I couldn't use my composite long bow :(. I had to bring in Xan and Aerie to kill them, and Keldorn to help hold them off.

baldr003ml3.th.jpg

Took an Agannazzar's Scorcher (which finished off more than I thought it would), 4 of Melf's Acid Arrows, three Fireballs (each killing more than one) and a Flame Arrow.

I doubt this was intentional, but it was really fun nonetheless :).

I also experienced a few cases of crazy numbers of trolls spawning in certain locations - the one you highlight, in the main hall, and in the barracks room on the same level (the one with 5-6 chests in it). The main hall is OK I think (one would expect it to be well defended), the other two looked, well, a tiny bit silly as your screenshot shows.

Just beat De'Arnise Keep and the Umar Hills (using v8, by the way), Torgal was bugless (actually moved and attacked this time) and wasn't that hard since I retreated back to the door to the previous room.

The Shadow Dragon, also, didn't bug out this time, but sometimes when it used it's breath weapon on characters that were just within ranged weapon range, and it did nothing, which was probably the only reason I could kill it at my level (Yoshimo was still clawed to death to buy healing time for the rest of the party, though).

I'm not sure that the 'Prevent party members from dying irreversibly' componant works, by the way.

I'm not sure that the 'Prevent party members from dying irreversibly' componant works, by the way.

This component tries to prevent "chunking", the annoying permanent death of your character when you're reduced below -10 hp. Characters who get reduced to 0 hp or below just die in the usual fashion and can be resurrected. It isn't possible to prevent quite all forms of chunking (massive damage from fire, in particular, still seems to cause chunking fairly reliably), but this component should make it a rarer occurrence. This may be useful in the later stages of the game, when melee opponents often do 30-40 hp damage per blow - that 10 hp safety margin starts to feel slender.

From the readme.

Oh, thank you.

Edit: Just beat the Druid Grove (with Improved Faldorn). Those 6 or so Spore Colonies were more than a little tough (used up every Dispel Magic I had, and still had to wait out the duration after the last Myconid was down) and they also attracted a small group of trolls.

Also, after a Druid shapeshifts into a bear, it just stands there. I don't think the fight with Kyland Lind was all that tough, even with Smarter Priests, if anyone was worried about that. Priests can't get Vocalize :).

Edit2: By the way, any thought to an Improved Myconid componant that restores some of the Myconid's P&P abilities? All they do in BG2 is confuse, and even the IWD2 Myconids could do more.

Edit2: By the way, any thought to an Improved Myconid componant that restores some of the Myconid's P&P abilities? All they do in BG2 is confuse, and even the IWD2 Myconids could do more.

I like this, especially the ones in Sendai's Lair. Something like the power difference between Abazigal's Lair and Asylum lizardmen.

While trying to deul Berenn the Fire Giant cleric/mage in ToB with Xan, I noticed every time I left his sight and came back (was running from his Creeping Doom pre-effect projectile), he re-cast all of his pre-combat buffs (making it quite tough to kill him, but I eventually hit him with Pierce Shield, Remove Magic and Finger of Death to finally bring him down).

While trying to deul Berenn the Fire Giant cleric/mage in ToB with Xan, I noticed every time I left his sight and came back (was running from his Creeping Doom pre-effect projectile), he re-cast all of his pre-combat buffs (making it quite tough to kill him, but I eventually hit him with Pierce Shield, Remove Magic and Finger of Death to finally bring him down).

This is a perennial "occasional bug", I think - various people have occasionally reported creatures re-buffing when you go offscreen, but I've never been able to reproduce it myself. It's not intentional, for sure.

Have you seen it with other spellcasters?

Archived