Tactics irenicus and scs2 irenicus

Strontium Dog

I'm considering installing almost all scs2 components but installing tactics' improved irenicus. Other than the scs2-modder(!), can anyone give me their personal opinion on how scs2-irenicus matches up to the Tactics mod's Improved Irenicus, in terms of AI and difficulty? I gather that there is no separate scs2-improved irenicus(just 1 for an improved bodhi), so, presumably, it would, like in the original game, just involve Irenicus and 4 balor(or pit-fiend?) allies of his.

Obviously, by scs2-irenicus, I mean that all other relevant components would be installed as well, such as improved fiends, smarter mages etc. My only concern is that Irenicus might not be a match for the party, even with those other components installed.

Originally I thought SCSII Irenicus was as tough, but recent replays of both have led me to conclude Tactics is harder. Unfortunately Tactics Irenicus cheats a bit too much for my liking.

SCSII Irenicus is quite a bit harder than the original though - his demonic allies are a lot more powerful (if you have the Improved Fiends+staying power installed) and Irenicus himself is a bit more threatening with better AI.

Personally I'd quite like DavidW to do some sort of "Tactics remix" of Irenicus as he did with Bodhi - take some of the elements of the Tactics fight (eg. replacing his allies with the five unique enemies) but without the hideous end-game where Jonny appears to have an infinite sized spellbook.

I have no personel opinion of Irenicus, because I've not tested the differences, but I can list something about that from the SCSII read me.

At first something from the compatibility section with Tactics:

The Improved Irenicus component overwrites the improvements to Irenicus made by thathe "Smarter Arcane Spellcasters" component of SCS II. If you want Tactics Irenicus, install t component (before SCS II) - the rest of "Smarter Arcane Spellcasters" will still work.

And here something from the Smarter Mages component:

Since Irenicus is a mage, this component upgrades him too. He gains no new spells, but he should use his existing spells more effectively, and this makes him a lot more dangerous (particularly in his final incarnation).

[Edit]

Ohh. I've seen in an other thread that you have study the SCSII read me, so I can give you no news. :p

Greetings Leomar

Originally I thought SCSII Irenicus was as tough, but recent replays of both have led me to conclude Tactics is harder. Unfortunately Tactics Irenicus cheats a bit too much for my liking.

SCSII Irenicus is quite a bit harder than the original though - his demonic allies are a lot more powerful (if you have the Improved Fiends+staying power installed) and Irenicus himself is a bit more threatening with better AI.

Personally I'd quite like DavidW to do some sort of "Tactics remix" of Irenicus as he did with Bodhi - take some of the elements of the Tactics fight (eg. replacing his allies with the five unique enemies) but without the hideous end-game where Jonny appears to have an infinite sized spellbook.

I agree, I'd also like to see a Tactics remix for SCS2_Irenicus. I don't much like the Tactics' cheats either, although Improved Irenicus is truly frightening, but, even after not playing BG2 for years, I should still be able to walk all over 4 balors and an only slightly improved Irenicus. I'll use the SCS-quasi-Tactics version of Bodhi and the Tactics version of Irenicus, instead.

I guess that Arcane Spellcasters from SCSII tweaks Irenicus at the TOL but not the final Hell confrontation.

However, I'd seriously jump in joy if DW made a SCSII remix of Tactics' final confrontation, while forgetting stages II and III (Irenicus the Slayer, Irenicus the Shattered) and made only stage I (the aspects of the five sins).

Archived