Cast spell on condition (232) & Regeneration (98) weirdness

Demivrgvs

After a few reports about some strange issues with aura-like effects and the discovery of a regeneration weird behaviour in conjuction with them I've spent a considerable amount of time to test Cast spell on condition (232) opcode (which is the fulcrum of aura-like effects).

Here's the srange results:

- multiple "Cast spell on condition (232) effects" stack without problem but have an annoying issue. If the character has two or more "Cast spell on condition (232) effects" (e.g Namarra's Wall of Silence and Helm of Glory's Bless) when switching to another item with a "Cast spell on condition (232) effect" (e.g. Blade of Roses' Singing Sword) it may be possible that instead of switching to Bless+Singing Sword tha character will still be affected by "Silence+Bless", or "Silence+Singing Sword". This is "fixed" after some time, or manually by re-equipping all the items from which you do expect to gain aura-like effects. Other than that, I've been unable to find any solution.

- "Cast spell on condition (232) opcode" unless used with the parameter "on hit" may inhibit the "Regeneration (98)" opcode. This is caused because apparently the "Regeneration (98)" opcode is treated just like a "Apply Repeating EFF (272)" opcode, which has an annoying feature itself: "if two or more effects of this type affect a creature, only the shortest duration effect will occur" (unfortunately I've looked to IESDP only after discovering this myself). Then something even more strange happens: "Regeneration (98)" consider "Cast spell on condition (232)" as an "Apply Repeating EFF (272)" too! :) Thus "Regeneration (98)" won't work together with a "Cast spell on condition (232)" effect unless the regeneration rate is set to "1 hit point ever x seconds, with x<6" (because the "Cast spell on condition (232)" casts the spell every 6 seconds)

Unfortunately this means that unless someone can help us to avoid this strange behaviour, I'll have to drastically limit aura-like effects in IR, and try to replce them with different effects. I'm sorry if some of those abilities were among your favourites. :)

From my memories, regenerations do stack when having identical timing. Having run into this issue earlier, I'd suggest setting all of the regeneration effects to one round (2hp/round instead of 1hp/3sec). So, perhaps 232 can live along with 98 still.

From my memories, regenerations do stack when having identical timing. Having run into this issue earlier, I'd suggest setting all of the regeneration effects to one round (2hp/round instead of 1hp/3sec). So, perhaps 232 can live along with 98 still.
We're not talking about multiple regenerations, but I may investigate into it too.

Anyway your suggested 1hp/3sec would work, as I said: "Regeneration (98)" won't work together with a "Cast spell on condition (232)" effect unless the regeneration rate is set to "1 hit point ever x seconds, with x<6". The problem is that not a single IR's item allow a regeneration faster than 1hp/6sec!

I may try to mess a little more with timing and type of regeneration...

"#98 (0x062) HP: Regeneration [98]

Parameter #1: Regeneration Amount

Parameter #2: Type

Description:

Restores HP to the value of 'Regeneration Amount' in the style specified by the 'Type' field, to the targeted creature(s).

Known values for 'Type' are:

0 Restore 1 HP per second

1 Restore 1 HP per second

2 Restore 'Regeneration Amount' HP every second

3 Restore 1HP every 'Regeneration Amount' seconds

4 Restore Param 3 HP every Param 1 seconds"

How are supposed to work Type "0", "1" and "4"? :)

This is sad news, dear Demivrgvs.

Sorry to read about all this problems and I am also sorry for myself, since I did love the aura effects... :)

Well, take your time for thinking of possible solutions...

If there are none, I agree that the only thing to do is to withdraw the bugged effects...

For once I'm not resurrecting a topic like this to add insult to injury (as I happen to be really good at discovering new bugs in the engine), but to instead announce that the mighty Taimon strikes back!

I've just finished to test a little gift he gave me this week end, a patch to fix "Apply Repeating EFF (272)" opcode, and it indeed works! Multiple repeating EFF can now correctly work together, and stack if necessary, even if their frequency is not the same.

Now, I don't know if this will have immediate impact on IR V3, because I actually used "Cast spell on condition (232)" opcode (though I can make some items use the other opcode if necessary), but he said he should/may be able to add two more opcodes to his function. First choice is surely going to be "Regeneration (98)" (fixing it is already really great on its own) but I really hope the other one can be the above mentioned one.

I couldn't resist the temptation to share my excitement about this. :)

Kneel before Taimon. :beer:

Archived