New/alternative spells

yarpen

Hey, what do you think about providing more additional or alternative spells in Spell Revision: now we have true strike and fire trap (something more?) so maybe it's possible to have a one more step and give something more more more ;-)

My ideas (from 3rd edition) are:

- instead of Stinking Cloud (effect is quite similiar to 1-st level spell Grease) Fog. New, gray animation would be cool. It blinds people inside.

- Mass Domination: in BG2 there's a lack of powerfull spells from charms and divination. Maybe this sort of powerhouse spell (around 8 level) can bring more sense for having enchanter in your team.

- Preservation: great, high-level spell for diviners. Gives them ultimate ability of seeing near future so they can be ready for any attacks. Maybe it can grant for next 2 rounds +8 to AC, auto-made saves and immunity to backstab. ?

- Iron Body: nice spell from IWD. Great for wizards who want to be a golem-slayers.

Hey, what do you think about providing more additional or alternative spells in Spell Revision: now we have true strike and fire trap (something more?) so maybe it's possible to have a one more step and give something more more more ;-)
As I previously stated I'm not too eager to add new spells unless there's a really good reason to do it like.

Druid's low level spell selection was pathetic, and a few already exisiting spells may be very appropriate for more classes (e.g. Ice Storm, Polymorph Other for druids, and in the future I was planning Control Undead and Energy Drain for clerics), but I don't see any reason to add for example another conjuration/evocation spell. BG already offer an incredible array of spells, rarely we need to add more spells imo.

Fog

- instead of Stinking Cloud (effect is quite similiar to 1-st level spell Grease) Fog. New, gray animation would be cool. It blinds people inside.
I added this effect to Incendiary Cloud (as per 3rd edition PnP) but probably have to remove it for V3 because it severely affects AI performance. "Blinded" characters in BG are more or less "dead characters" unless they are warrior type characters.

Mass Domination

- Mass Domination: in BG2 there's a lack of powerfull spells from charms and divination. Maybe this sort of powerhouse spell (around 8 level) can bring more sense for having enchanter in your team.
I'll already add an Enchantment spell to 6-7-8-9th level by making Power Word serie belong to Enchantment School, but I do like Mass Domination as it's the most appropriate spell for an archmage Enchanter imo. The first issue before even starting to think about it is getting appropriate bams for spell and scroll...I haven't them. One possibility may be to either use Mental Control's one or Domination's one. Right now they use a different bam/description but they work exactly the same.

Premonition

- Preservation: great, high-level spell for diviners. Gives them ultimate ability of seeing near future so they can be ready for any attacks. Maybe it can grant for next 2 rounds +8 to AC, auto-made saves and immunity to backstab. ?
Refinements adds Foresight at 9th level which is very similar, but surely Divination is the most underrepresented school right now. Again, I'd need bams for both spell and scroll.

Iron Body

- Iron Body: nice spell from IWD. Great for wizards who want to be a golem-slayers.
It wouldn't be hard to add this, but isn't it really too similar to what Shapechange's Golem form already does? :)
Long time ago I was quite good in BAM creation, so maybe I can help a bit. So... maybe Mass Domination?
Let's say if you can do that I'd be obliged to please your request for the spell! :) Jokes aside, I'd say that this particular spell is quite a must for Enchanters.

If you're on it I wouldn't mind introducing a few DR spells too, like Sunscorch. DR's bams for new spells are taken from IWD and don't fit too well with BG ones in terms of colors (too bright imo).

If I have some time I'll try to sort out which school don't have any spell at all for a particular level.

P.S If you think there's no other option for an 8th level Alteration spell I'd suggest you to use Iron Golem's bam from Shapechange as a template for Iron Body's spell and scroll. ;)

Yarpen,

have you worked on bams yet?

I would have a request if you wish to help. I've just finished implementing Faerie Fire, and Sunscorch but their bams taken from IWD (the ones used by Divine Remix) needs a small retouch imo, they should be less brilliant. If you are up to it slightly modify DR's ones shouldn't take much! :)

I have taken a look at the bams and I must say that their style is really not in line with BG.

Sunscorch has a chromatic problem (BG uses a mild blend of Magenta and Ruby while the IWD bam uses Scarlet) while Faery Fire uses a strange icon to depict the spell.

Archived