I am looking at the Favoured Soul in the D&D Complete Divine

lac

There is a spell per day chart, and a number of known spells chart. But in the description it says:

Like other spellcasters, a favoured soul can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level a day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on table 1-1: The Favoured Soul. In addition she receives bonus spells for a high charisma.

Except that there isn't any mention of bonus spells anywhere, only that you need to have a charisma score of 10 + the spell's level. Which would mean that table 1-1 ... which says that a FS gains 3 9th level spells at level 18, and will have 6 of them at level 20 ... is really a table for spells per day for characters with charisma of 19 or more -- those with less charisma will max out earlier. Or the bonus spells spells in addition to this? which is what 'base daily allotment' implies? if so, how do you calculate

the bonus spells?

Are Favoured Souls who come from races that have a charisma penalty limited in this way? I cannot imagine that Moradin

would favour a chosen dwarf with charisma 17 any less than any human deity would favour a chosen human with charisma 18.

Or is the assumption that you will have charisma boosting items in any case, making the question much less relevant?

Just curious -- have any of you played the FS? If so, how did it work out?

There is a spell per day chart...
Kinda needs to be devided to 3 so you'll get the exact same as the 2Ed...

If so, how do you calculate the bonus spells?
Ah, I don't know, but could the Wisdom be a factor? As it's for clerics...

Are Favoured Souls who come from races that have a charisma penalty limited in this way?
Yes.

Or is the assumption that you will have charisma boosting items in any case, making the question much less relevant?
Well, in all the editions after the 2nd, you can rase the stats every so and so levels, so you can start with a char that has 11 on the specific stat and get the best spells, if you put them all the bonuses in it, eventually. On level 32...
There is a spell per day chart, and a number of known spells chart. But in the description it says:

Like other spellcasters, a favoured soul can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level a day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on table 1-1: The Favoured Soul. In addition she receives bonus spells for a high charisma.

Except that there isn't any mention of bonus spells anywhere, only that you need to have a charisma score of 10 + the spell's level. Which would mean that table 1-1 ... which says that a FS gains 3 9th level spells at level 18, and will have 6 of them at level 20 ... is really a table for spells per day for characters with charisma of 19 or more -- those with less charisma will max out earlier. Or the bonus spells spells in addition to this? which is what 'base daily allotment' implies? if so, how do you calculate

the bonus spells?

Are Favoured Souls who come from races that have a charisma penalty limited in this way? I cannot imagine that Moradin

would favour a chosen dwarf with charisma 17 any less than any human deity would favour a chosen human with charisma 18.

Just curious -- have any of you played the FS? If so, how did it work out?

Bonus spells according to your relevant characteristic are given in the PHB. You'll be able to cast extra spells if your Charisma is high, in this case. If it's 12, for instance, you'll be able to cast one extra 1st level spell each day. If it's 20, you'll have one extra spell for 5th, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd level, and two extra 1st level ones. I can't remember the table number without my books, but it's in the chapter on character generation where characteristics are described. If you have charisma boosting items then you'll get more. Note that this is bonus spells you can cast, you're still limited in the number you know to the number given in the FS table for Spells Known.

Yes, if you have a charisma penalty it will make your character worse as a FS. Either don't go with that class or accept the penalty.

I haven't played the class much, being more of a fan of wizards, but I've seen it played through a campaign. It's not a bad class, but it's definitely not as good as a normal cleric in most respects.

Aha, thank you very much. So I have to get a different book to calculate how many spells one can

cast .... grumble, grumble, it wouldn't have killed them to put that information with the class description on the Favoured Soul.

jarno: wisdom is just used for calculating how large a roll you need to make in order to successfully defend against having a spell cast on you by a Favoured Soul. Indeed, it looks to me as if Favoured Souls who don't intend to do any adventuring might not need all that high a wisdom score at all. But getting the class to fit into 2nd edition rules and worlds may be a bit of a challenge.

Thank you both very much,

Laura

Aha, thank you very much. So I have to get a different book to calculate how many spells one can

cast .... grumble, grumble, it wouldn't have killed them to put that information with the class description on the Favoured Soul.

Well, its is a standard table in the PHB (which WotC assumes everyone will have) :D , but you can also find most of the basic D&D 3.5 info on the d20 SRD website 3.5 had a single standard 'bonus spells from high ability scores' that is used for any ability score that a class uses to determine its bonus spells.

If you have any interest in anything d20 related, the Hypertext d20 SRD website is a good place to look, it has most of the core (and not so core) d20 rules in it but doesn't have things like experience. And its Free.

I hope this rambling screed helped a bit,

Charles

Archived