ToTSC on Windows XP Pro SP3

plainab

My local combination of Windows XP Pro SP3 and BG+ToTSC has proven that it is possible to install a playable game with the incorrect number of files within the override directory. I am sharing this information for:

1) other users of Windows XP Pro SP3 who may have the same issue.

2) modders to take this into consideration when modding.

I will relate briefly what I noticed...

Installed DVD version BG+ToTSC & Patch. Had 220 files in override. During game play I found some files to be incorrect. AR2300.are (FAI Inn) is an example.

Got a copy to test and installed 5+1 CD version on Windows 98 & Windows XP: Windows 98 had 111 files; Windows XP had 220 files.

Used DVD version to test on Windows Vista and had 111 files.

Do note: Windows 98 Compatibility Mode did not help nor did any other typical solutions.

Here is what is supposed to happen:

BG is installed giving an override of 122 files for CD and 123 files for DVD. (extra file is flam01.itm)

ToTSC is installed wiping out override and inserting 65 files for CD and 66 files for DVD. (there is an extra .dll file)

Patch is installed wiping out override and inserting 111 files.

Here is what did happen:

BG was installed giving an override of 123 files for DVD.

ToTSC was installed and added 66 files on top of 123 files. Since some were the same, the result was 176 files.

Patch was installed and added 111 files on top of 176 files. Since some were the same, the result was 220 files.

Where the problem lies:

In a file by file comparison, 30 some files were found to be incorrect for a true install of ToTSC.

This is a potential issue in that since the game will still be playable and the player may or may not be familiar with the game, the player could possibly report mod errors or general game play errors that are not reproducible by the modder or others trying to help solve the problem.

The 30 some files in question are as follows:

albert.cre

albert.dlg

ar2300.are

belt.cre

bolt02.itm

bolt03.itm

bolt04.itm

bolt05.itm

bolt06.itm

calaha.dlg

childulg.dlg

dradee.dlg

drizzt.cre

evalt.dlg

farthi.dlg

fenrus.dlg

flam01.itm

gatewere.dlg

gnoll5.bcs

gnoll5.dlg

islsir.dlg

jaheir6.cre

jorin.dlg

kryla.dlg

lahl.dlg

liia.cre

lothan.dlg

marale.dlg

memnis.dlg

mulahe.cre

palin.dlg

ring09.itm

sarevok.bcs

sppr403.spl

spwi313.spl

sw2h06.itm

taloun.dlg

therel.dlg

ulcast.dlg

Solutions:

1) During install the player can check their override file count. If after installing ToTSC but before installing the patch, file count is around 176. The override contents should be deleted and the patch installed.

2) If the patch has already been installed and no mods have yet been installed and the file count is around 220, the override contents should be deleted and the patch re-installed.

3) Use TuTu, EasyTutu or BGT as they should get their BG data from the bif files rather than the override.

4) Run the required component of the BG Fixpack (currently in open beta -- see link in sig for my website) once it's been updated to include the checks and balances required before pulling the correct files from the bif. The fixpack page will be updated once the mod has been updated and uploaded. Be looking for it...

5) Use weidu and --get-bif command line option to extract each file and replace the incorrect one in the override folder.

@moderators -- if you feel this is important enough, please pin, link to, quote, or move to as appropriate. Thank you.

Thanks for the informations.

I've checked my German BG SAGA Edition on my computer with Windows XP. I've installed BG, ToSC and the official patch. After that there are 111 files in the override. So the German SAGA Edition is fine with Windows XP. :crazyeyes:

Greetings Leomar

Since I'm the one who started. I'm necroing it :p

While I did not have this issue on Windows 98 or Vista but only on Windows XP (the three OSes I had available at the time) I've since discovered that this also happens with a Windows 7 install.

SAGA editions are unaffected as they are a complete install and usually don't require patching (as they are 5512 already and 5521 isn't necessary except for multi-player). It is only the versions that have a separate install for ToTSC content (i.e. 5 disc + 1 disc set or the 4 n 1 box set).

It is therefore my recommendation that even if you have the 5+1 or 4n1 set that you get yourself a SAGA copy and avoid this hassle.

Since I have the Forgotten Realms Deluxe Edition (DVD+CD for BG) it's good to know. Working XP SP3 with installs of both BG v4315 and TotSC (OS) v5521. Good info to know if I reinstall using DVD+CD.

Edit: An additional note. I have the GoG version as well (Original Saga) and it has 111 files in the override.

Archived