Item Revisions & custom weapons

kthxbye

Hi @ all!

Since I'm going to use IR in my next install, I'd like to know how it changes things from other mods and if it adds new weapons in the BG1 part of the game.

I'm writing a ktweaks mod (linked in my sign) that has a component which adds some weapons to the BG1 part of a BG:T install. It also has other components which modify spears, throwing daggers and warhammers.

Here's what I'd need to know in order to add compatibility checks between my tweakpack and IR mod:

- how does IR change custom weapons powers? I tried to keep my weapons balanced with Ashideena and Varscona, but I noticed that Ashideena's been replaced while Varscona was changed to have 1d4 cold damage instead of the vanilla +1 cold damage. I have some weapons with +1 elemental damage, will those be changed by IR to 1d4 or do I have to change it myself if the tweak detects IR?

- the throwing dagger tweak modifies them giving a -1 penalty thac0, 1d6 base damage, allowing strenght bonus and setting APR to 3 (for now, have to check if it's balanced or not) to ALL throwing daggers;

- the warhammer tweak modifies them changing base damage from 1d4 to 2d4;

- the spear tweak modifies them changing base damage from 1d6 to 1d8;

Does IR change one (or more) of the mentioned weapon types in a simiral way, so that my component(s) are redundant if installed together with IR (thus making them useless, and for compatibility's sake I'll add a check to make them automatically skip if that's the case)?

Thanks in advance for your answers. :crazyeyes:

EDIT: oh, right. Since I add weapons to the BG1 part of the game for the only purpose of allowing the player to choose proficencies without having to worry about which weapons BG1 has, and not for overpowering it, it could be useful to know if IR adds some of these weapons to BG1 in order not to add too many weapons of the same type to the game, unbalancing it. If IR adds some of them, could you please let me know which ones from my tweak should be skipped if IR is detected?

Again thanks. :)

- how does IR change custom weapons powers?

If IR adds some of them, could you please let me know which ones from my tweak should be skipped if IR is detected?

The Main component overwrites the BG2 items, the other components(Global Changes) patch the items, so there could be some power modifications... (medium and large shield have better AC bonus)... but they alter all the same type of items in the same way.

IR's main component adds or moves a couple items in BG2, but none in BG1 as of yet. Demi would be able to tell you if there are any things (like dice rolls for additional damage instead of static values) that he does in revising individual weapons in the main component which might stick out in mod-added items.

The main systematic changes for weapons are in the "Weapon Changes" component and affect things like THAC0, damage, base speed, and APR (for bows), but not elemental damage or the balance of individual weapons. Here's the full list of what is changed in that component.

• All Bows: Now cause additional damage equal to enchantment level, but provide only an extra half attack per round instead of an extra full attack. Composite bows now deal 2 damage more than regular bows, instead of 1 damage more. Bows that require 19 or more strength to wield will deal one additional point of damage on top of this.
  • Long Bows: Replaced +1 THAC0 bonus with +1 damage bonus.
  • Crossbows: Now grant +1 THAC0.
  • Bolts: Now cause additional damage equal to enchantment level.
  • Two-Handed Swords: Base damage changed from 1d10 to 2d6.
  • Bastard Swords: Base damage changed from 2d4 to 1d10.
  • Spears: Base damage changed from 1d6 to 1d8.
  • War Hammers: Base damage changed from 1d4+1 to 1d8. Base speed changed from 5 to 7.
  • Flails: Base damage changed from 1d6+1 to 1d10. Base speed changed from 7 to 9.
  • Wakizashis: Proficiency changed from Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To to Katana/Wakizashi.
  • Ninja-Tos: Proficiency changed from Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To to Short Sword/Ninja-To.
  • Morning Stars: Proficiency changed from Flail/Morning Star to Mace/Morning Star. Base speed changed from 7 to 8.

Thanks for the replies. :crazyeyes: I thought it actively changed some things in BG1 as well since Neira, Larze, Melium and others had different items from the ones they're supposed to have, but I think it's because IR overwrited the "standard" items with the versions they had then.

Since IR overwrites some items I'll suggest to install my tweakpack after the IR mod, adding a check in my spears component since it changes their damage output exactly like IR does, so installing my component too would be redundant.

I will make sure to point out my war hammer and throwing dagger components, if installed after IR, might change (in different ways) things already changed by IR.

I'll instead wait to know if elemental damages are changed for single weapons or with a cycle to include standard weapons, so that if IR changes custom weapons elemental damages too I'll suggest to install that component before IR. If not, I'll probably make another component to modify my items according to IR standards for balance sake.

Hope to be able to make IR and my tweak go together well. :)

I'll instead wait to know if elemental damages are changed for single weapons or with a cycle to include standard weapons, so that if IR changes custom weapons elemental damages too I'll suggest to install that component before IR. If not, I'll probably make another component to modify my items according to IR standards for balance sake.
Changes to elemental damage output aren't applied to custom weapons as they don't follow a standard. These values may be 1d3, 1d4, or 1d6 and each time the value is based on different things (size of weapon, supposed affinity of the weapon with the element, and so on).

Archived