IDEA: Creating Favorite Soul-like class in BG2

Guest Taro_M

Guest Taro_M

Hi everyone, recently I decided to go back to play some BG2. However after installing game and every good mod I remembered having, I found out that I cannot recreate my character as she was Favorite Soul in NW2 (heh...NWN spoiled me :rolleyes: ). I could make her cleric but it wouldnt be the same, FS way of spellcasting fits her perfectly.

My question is: is its possible to create new class (or kit) that would either:

A) Add class based on cleric that can cast divine spells like sorcerer (using CHA for number of spells and WIS for rolls)

or

B) Add class based on sorcerer with avatar of cleric, able to use heavy armor (and cast spells in them), with cleric paperdoll/avatar and with divine spells instead of arcane

BTW: Before you ask: Yes, I have thrown all sense of balance etc. through window (they landed with satisfying SPLAT! :) )

1. Animation is based on class.

2. You cannot add a new class without modifying the .exe

3. You cannot change which stat affects spellcasting, it is tied to class.

So, this pretty much kills both options you listed.

This kind of stuff (new class features) either requires GemRB or modifying the exe.

Guest Taro_M

I only want cleric that can cast spells like sorcerer (ie. he dosent need to remember them before), it can be kit or whatever as long as it is ingame. Avatar can be easily changed ingame via script in one of mods so I dont think it will be any problem. I can be something similar to geomantic sorcerer but that kit would replace all arcane spells with divine ones and will allow casting in heavy armor (this one is vital).

1. Scripting can do that easily.

2. It would be a Cleric/Sorcerer Kit... doable.

3. Well, the idea is actually make the stat the classes primary stat, not change the whole game, and by the way, the bonus spells can be adjusted via scripting(stat checks to the rest script), so it's doable too.

Now, if somebody would be willing to make that kind of Kit, I would play with it too.

I would say that it could be done by hevily modifying the Geo Sorc kit mod itself, but as I have no Kit modifying skill at all, for me it would be hard.

Guest Taro_M

Hmm... can someone post links to kit making tutorials? I'll check them and see if I can at least start working on it.

Also: does sorcerer need to choose new spells for each new spellcasting level (its been quite a while since I played BG2)? If so then is there would be problem with making player choose new divine spells that will be learned?

1. Scripting can do that easily.

2. It would be a Cleric/Sorcerer Kit... doable.

3. Well, the idea is actually make the stat the classes primary stat, not change the whole game, and by the way, the bonus spells can be adjusted via scripting(stat checks to the rest script), so it's doable too.

Now, if somebody would be willing to make that kind of Kit, I would play with it too.

I would say that it could be done by hevily modifying the Geo Sorc kit mod itself, but as I have no Kit modifying skill at all, for me it would be hard.

You cannot make a cleric/sorcerer kit. You can make sorcerer kit casting different spells than real sorcerers.

Those won't be 'cleric spells'. Those will be special mage spells as sorcerors cast mage spells.

Surely you will convert some cleric spells to mage spells and make them unavailable to mages.

This 'sorceror' will behave like a sorceror regarding stat bonuses.

About the animation change, well, that's possible, i'm unsure why you need scripting for it, though.

About the spell selection: maybe you will have to script that. There was such a system in Glory of Istar

I don't know how would you go about letting the player use the original sorcerer spell selection.

Archived